What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(33)

My Life as a Courgette 7.5/10

French animation (although the version I saw was dubbed in English) about a boy who inadvertently kills his drunken mother and is sent to an orphanage. Brutally honest about the boy’s situation and that of the other kids, but told with the innocent voice of the child. The way that one of the orphans describes how babies are made is every bit as amusing as you’d imagine. Short at only an hour long, but quite beautifully animated and gets you right in the feels. (Amazon Prime)

44 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I, Tonya

Very entertaining, even if you never know quite how much truth there is, or what the truth is. If the Shawn character is real, it sums up America tbh.

He was. He died fairly recently. 

Get Out.

8/10 

Difficult to leave a proper review without  giving plotline spoilers but lets just say it was Clockwork Orange style freaky with an element of Angel Heart about it.

Weird but thoroughly enjoyable.

Edited by Flybhoy

Hidden figures (SKY)

3 black women in 60s Virginia fight against systematic racism to play a vital role in the space program at NASA. An incredible story which shows the sheer lunacy of racism . A gem of a film. 10/10.

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

Annihilation -- LIke Evolution but without the chuckles. I enjoyed it well enough, despite the utter c***s behind me who talked all the way through and laughed at inappropriate moments. It suffers from trying too hard by being enigmatic which doesn't sit all that well with the survival status of the main protagonists being clearly stated up front. It's no ex-machina but not a bad addition to the Alex Garland filmography. 7/10

Child 44.

Grim tale based on a novel loosely based on true story of Russian serial killer. A tad long perhaps but Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman are always watchable. I'd only had it recorded since october!! Apparently, Citizen X, a TV movie from 1995, is a more accurate account but i've not watched that yet......7/10.

Watched Joshy on Netflix. It was meant to be a guys stag doo but his fiancé hung her self so it was just a bit emotional drug taking weekend with other guys going through some shit in their life’s to. It was all a bit pointless. 6/10

I watched Icarus on Netflix the other night. My jaw was practically on the floor by the end of it. What started as a documentary about doping in cycling & biological passports then crossed in to a full blown KGB led conspiracy. Goodness me what a documentary. 8/10

Quick-fire Roundup:

I, Tonya (2018): Great acting, great pacing; good soundtrack, good writing. 

Journeyman (2018): Clumsy dialogue and questionable character motives hinder its potential, which is frustrating given that Paddy Considine seems to be a good director and ideas-man. 

Call Me By Your Name (2017): A calming yet profound film about mental inadequacies and self-acceptance told from the perspective of Elio, a teenager played by the wonderfully understated Timothee Chalamet. It approaches a tender subject with a confidence in itself that makes you revel in its long takes and drawn out scenes, which all really allow you to soak it all in and reflect on every moment. 

Tales from the Crypt (1972): Campy and determined to bang the message over your head, but each story is creepy and tense mainly due to an excellent understanding of knowing what to show and what to hide. 

Lady Bird (2018): This is what 'Boyhood' could and should have been. While it is light on plot, the characters are so rounded, engaging and incredibly realistic that every frame spent with them is engrossing. Gerwig perfectly captures the essence of what being in your late-teens is like thanks to her excellent script and assured direction that never loses focus of weaving in what it wants to say. Despite most of the scenes being unusually short, they add up to an overall greatness due to how much is packed into them.