What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Deadpool 2 - it's Deadpool; no plot required.

I liked the first film; this one was better, and they clearly got a proper budget this time out. It's pretty much wall-to-wall Deadpool kookiness, which will no doubt get played out eventually, but it's still fresh and the script/Ryan Reynolds is in good form. I think this one pulled more laughs out of me, and there are plenty of wee surprises. They're doing a really good job with these. BigFatTabbyBoy rated this film as "good"; I think he was perhaps a tad perturbed by some of the gags I laughed at, as I'm old.

Have they released that Christmas version of the film here yet?

Hellraiser - Clive Barker's classic tale of obsessive desire, and the BDSM demons who punish it.

Nice to see this again; having never made it past #3, I've decided to track down all 800 films in the series, which will appropriately be like torture as apparently they're awful. Barker's original is an odd wee cracker, however, full of a seedy imagination that sets it apart from other horror films. It's a shame he didn't do an awful lot more directing, as his Nightbreed is also quite interesting, despite studio interference. We've been promised a remake for more than a decade, but there's no chance of it following the themes established in this one, so frankly it can GTF.

BigFatTabbyBoy liked it, despite there being "an awful lot of sex in this movie" (there isn't really, but sweaty desire seeps from every pore). I don't think it was quite what he was expecting, being only familiar with Pinhead memes, who is only referred to as 'Lead Cenobite' in this one.

Watched 1917 and The Revenant last week both for the first time. Two excellent films that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Controversially: I've seen Di Caprio play better parts and if I had to see all his films again for the first time, not knowing which one he got his Oscar for, I wouldn't pick The Revenant. Parasite was a cracking film that I also enjoyed but it's scandalous Mendes didn't take home Best Director for 1917.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest 10/10

What can be said, arguably my favourite movie.

If P&B was a film....

Another film based on a screenplay.  IIRC Kirk Douglas and Michael Douglas were behind it.

The making of the film was interesting.  They had difficulty finding a tall Indian and when somebody found one he was basically offered the part without an audition.

Also the person who plays the head of the institution was actually the head of the institution in real life.

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Another film based on a screenplay.  IIRC Kirk Douglas and Michael Douglas were behind it.

The making of the film was interesting.  They had difficulty finding a tall Indian and when somebody found one he was basically offered the part without an audition.

Also the person who plays the head of the institution was actually the head of the institution in real life.

Ken Kesey hated the screenplay as it changed the first person narrative of his novel (Chief Bromden). He also claimed to never watching the movie.

42 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Ken Kesey hated the screenplay as it changed the first person narrative of his novel (Chief Bromden). He also claimed to never watching the movie.

Oops.  I meant to say that the film was based on a stage play (which had obviously been based on the book).

Some films work great with a first person narrative, such as GoodFellas or Shawshank Redemption. 

However I can easily understand why somebody would steer away from it for a stage play. 

Wild - watched it years ago at the cinema and forgot how good it was. Based on a true story about a troubled young woman with no previous hiking experience who goes on the PCT alone to “find herself”. Reese Witherspoon is in it so that’s a plus point from the start 

The Rebel (1961)

Tony Hancock thinks he's the next Rembrandt, leaves his boring office job and heads to Paris to fulfil his dream. Through a lot of confusion he does become famous but it all gets out of hand. Some good laughs and pretty good satire about the pretentious world of art.

7/10

Watched Boyz in the Hood and Menace to Society and Menace is far better, not sure why Boyz is so lauded. Menace is just much more realistic and far less tropey and melodramatic. I presume Boyz benefits from being the first hood movie. 5/10 and 8/10 respectively.

Edited by The OP

Tremors

Kevin Bacon has a square go with some scary underground monsters. I caught this on one of the freeview channels there. This is a film that I will usually watch when it comes on. I can't think of a more enjoyable trashy b movie.

7/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

American Gigolo. 1980

I'd never seen this film, as a big movie buff and a fan of Richard Gere, a very talented actor from his era who doesn't get the credit he deserves compared to the likes of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt I noticed it was on SKY the other night so, added it to my planner and watched it last night. 

I'd give it a 7/10, Gere is fantastic and carries the film to be honest, the supporting cast are average to be honest and the plot, which was decent had much more potential than was played out, the ending in particular being a total damp squib, could have been developed much more and made quite spectacular, instead ends up a bit 'meh'

Still enjoyed it mainly but, wouldn't go out my way to watch it again like some of his other films such as Officer and a Gentleman or The Mothman Prophecies. 

Rented it off sky, I liked the cinematography and it seemed realistic but lacked any real depth. Would imagine it would be more spectacular in the cinema.
The two young actors were great though.
Kept thinking the ginger guy was the mechanic from east enders.

Batman Lego movie.

8/10

The wee man fucking loved it, and i sat there quite happily enjoying the more grown up references.

When they started i never believed any of these Lego movies would be any good but they really are.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire. 

MUBI (get a 7day free trial on Amazon).

Beautiful in every way.

A female portrait painter is recruited by a lady to paint her daughter (who is fresh outta convent school). The daughter is due to be married off to a random Italian and the portrait is to be sent to him for approval. The painter and her subject fall in love, with the knowledge she is in this arranged marriage.

I must’ve quietly sobbed through the last 20 minutes. Just a quiet beautiful looking film with incredible acting. Sound design is terrific too. There’s not really a score but the couple of times music does come in it blows you away. In her last film, Girlhood, Rihanna let the director use Diamonds royalty-free as she loved the scene so much where that song was used.

11/10