What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Vanishing ( 1988 )

A French movie about the disappearance of a young woman and the events that transpire three years later. It's pretty gripping stuff. Incredibly unnerving, especially in the second half of the movie, and then it takes a turn for the worst at the end.

9/10

Only God Forgives (2013) -

Really admiring alot of Ryan Gosling's work at the moment. This isn't the film for you if you want to sit back, relax and watch a film. However I quite enjoyed the complexity the film, a very good story with alot of metaphors for you to work out through out.

8/10

Would of gave it a 9 but alot of it is in Thai.

Just watched this because of the posts here....a bit weird and a bit annoying at times with totally unbelievable characters and long silences. Really enjoyed it though even if I can't work out what metaphors you're on about. The Thai subtitles didn't distract me at all.....

Sightseers 8/10.

I agree with StandFree above, this is a really interesting dark, dark comedy. I often find that this genre leaves me a wee bit cold with the emphasis too much on one or the other elements. I enjoyed Ben Wheatley's Kill List and was a bit perplexed by Field in England, but I was hooked by this film the whole way. The two leads are really good to watch together - with great lines which I won't put here in case it spoils them for anyone yet to see it.

Spring Breakers 8/10

The critics seemed to be split on this one with some thinking it to be outstanding and some a shell of a movie. I agree with the former group, and I think you need to be ready to expect this to be a study in nihilism which seems to completely interest the film-maker. I think if you watch this film as a crime caper, you'll be left confused, because there is a meaninglessness and selfishness to the characters' actions which is completely gripping if you watch this as a study of self-destructive behaviour.

Dogma 8/10

Hadn't seen it for a long while, but the missus dug it out to watch last night. Eschatological road movie by Kevin Smith - the last descendant of Jesus travels across the US in the company of a couple of prophets (Jay & Silent Bob) and the thirteenth apostle (Chris Rock) who was written out of the bible on account of being black, in an attempt to prevent a couple of renegade angels (Ben Affleck and Matt Damon) causing the end of existence.Typical Kevin Smith - 50 percent intelligent screenplay, and 50 percent fart gags. Had forgotten how good it was.

Spring Breakers 8/10

The critics seemed to be split on this one with some thinking it to be outstanding and some a shell of a movie. I agree with the former group, and I think you need to be ready to expect this to be a study in nihilism which seems to completely interest the film-maker. I think if you watch this film as a crime caper, you'll be left confused, because there is a meaninglessness and selfishness to the characters' actions which is completely gripping if you watch this as a study of self-destructive behaviour.

Agreed, I fucking loved it.

Panic Room

Not the best-loved of the Finchers but I really enjoyed this film. A single mother and her daughter (who for the first hour I thought was a son!) spend their first night in their new dream house, but are victims to a burglary.

It begins as a simple concept but the plot thickens beautifully- all the characters are developed and well-played (although Dwight Yoakam as Raoul is a bit over-the-top at times) and it comes to a very rewarding conclusion.

When the script was written I wouldn't be surprised if the main roles were written with Jodie Foster and Forest Whitaker in mind- both of them suited their characters down to the ground. On top of that David Fincher creates a darkness and suspense unique to his films, and Conrad Hall, Jr. and Darius Khondji on camera combined with Fincher's editing team created something quite extraordinary to watch, especially considering just about every shot is in a single house at night. It was supposedly a logistical nightmare to film, but I think it was well worth the trouble.

8/10

Tyrannosaur

Paddy Considine's directorial debut, and it's the grittiest of gritty dramas, starring two of the grittiest men in British cinema, Peter Mullan and Eddie Marsan, and Mrs. Versatility herself, Olivia Colman, in challenging roles.

It deals with a lot of dark subjects, centring around a chance meeting of a widower and a victim of domestic abuse, but it's also about personal courage and redemption. The plot is my favourite thing about it and I think Paddy's writing is better than his directing, but although the camerawork isn't special it's not what the film's about, and he got wonderful performances from his cast.

Ms. Colman's performance has been highly acclaimed and it's completely different from anything else I've seen her do, so I congratulate her on doing a good job of this, but some people I know mentioned the words "Oscar" and "snub". To them I say: not a chance. I'd have liked to see more of Eddie Marsan, his character was so loathsome and Colman's so innocent and blindly faithful that there could have been more than what we got from them together but what we did get wasn't pleasant watching. Having said that, it's an important theme and I'm glad the writer/director had the courage to do it, although

I'm not sure Hannah murdering the b*****d gave across the best message.

Peter Mullan good as ever, right from the "RRRRRobertDeNirooo" line I was in the palm of his hand.

It is by no means a feel-good, and it's not my idea of a masterpiece, but if this is what Paddy Considine can do with his first film then I'm all eyes and ears for his next work from behind the typewriter and camera.

7/10

Gangster Squad - 8/10

Enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling is the epitome of cool.

Manic - 6.5/10

2001 independent film featuring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. Interesting to see them in the early stages of their careers in roles so far removed from their current work. Don Cheadle also played a prominent role and Michael O'Neill featured briefly. I watched it all on YouTube. Despite its amateurish appearance it's a decent watch.

Edited by Meathead

Tyrannosaur

Paddy Considine's directorial debut, and it's the grittiest of gritty dramas, starring two of the grittiest men in British cinema, Peter Mullan and Eddie Marsan, and Mrs. Versatility herself, Olivia Colman, in challenging roles.

It deals with a lot of dark subjects, centring around a chance meeting of a widower and a victim of domestic abuse, but it's also about personal courage and redemption. The plot is my favourite thing about it and I think Paddy's writing is better than his directing, but although the camerawork isn't special it's not what the film's about, and he got wonderful performances from his cast.

Ms. Colman's performance has been highly acclaimed and it's completely different from anything else I've seen her do, so I congratulate her on doing a good job of this, but some people I know mentioned the words "Oscar" and "snub". To them I say: not a chance. I'd have liked to see more of Eddie Marsan, his character was so loathsome and Colman's so innocent and blindly faithful that there could have been more than what we got from them together but what we did get wasn't pleasant watching. Having said that, it's an important theme and I'm glad the writer/director had the courage to do it, although

I'm not sure Hannah murdering the b*****d gave across the best message.

Peter Mullan good as ever, right from the "RRRRRobertDeNirooo" line I was in the palm of his hand.

It is by no means a feel-good, and it's not my idea of a masterpiece, but if this is what Paddy Considine can do with his first film then I'm all eyes and ears for his next work from behind the typewriter and camera.

7/10

I think Tyrannosaur is one of the best British films of the past ten years. A very difficult watch at points but has an enormous amount of heart and humanity to it.

Caught Kick Ass 2 other night. Really good dumb fun. The sick stick was hilarious. 8/10

Rush ( 2013 )

Cineworld were doing screening for Unlimited card holders, and I have been wanting to see this for a while. It's a cracking movie which met my expectations for it. I think this movie could have done with a wee bit more soul, if you get my meaning. Everything was slick and the plot moved along well enough. I'm not sure how true to life the whole thing is, but I'm not caring either. It just didn't feel as involving as I thought it could have been, and that was the only real gripe I had with it. I've been a fan of Chris Hemsworth for a while now, but Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda is absolutely incredible. Cold, awkward but ultimately a man with much charm, and if I hadn't known the outcome, I'd have been rooting for him over Hunt.

Even without that emotional involvement though, this is still a movie I'd recommend.

8/10

Star Trek Into Darkness - 6/10

I really enjoyed this film and will probably watch again as a back-to-back with Abrams' first Star Trek. It was easy to watch and the action sequences were really impressive.

The plot was a little stilted and there were definite plot-holes which distracted from the flow of the film. I know Benedict Cumberbatch has won a lot of plaudits for this performance, but for me, not so much.

I would recommend this film, if only for the space action sequences and really impressive special effects.

The Boondock Saints. 8/10

Two Irish-American catholic brothers decide to become vigilantes and clean up Boston of Italian and Russian Mafia types. Willem Dafoe is superb as the gay FBI agent following the trail of bodies. Excellent over the top film.

The Way, Way Back.

I feel I should clarify this and say it was my wife's turn to pick the film.

I did, however really enjoy it. Mainly for the young lad who plays the main character, Duncan and Sam Rockwell, who is superb.

Steve Carrel plays an absolute dickhead really well too.

7/10