What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

12 Years a Slave. Excellent, unsentimental portrayal of the weird concept that one can actually own another human being, alongside the fragility and impotence of a single existence in the face of circumstance.

Worth reminding people that the country which loves freedom so much it's willing to impose it on the rest of the world, gained its economic supremacy in large part through the enthusiastic adoption of slavery.

Thoroughly recommend, although it really is a challenging watch. 9/10

American Hustle. Enjoyed this more than I expected to - probably because the director appears to love Scorsese's work almost as much as me. Not the "instant classic" some are hailing it as, but an enjoyable couple of hours. 7/10

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug. Let's be straight - I have loved Tolkien since childhood, and nobody waqs happier than me when Jackson made a pretty good fist of the Lord od The Rings. But three movies for The Hobbit? Sorry, the golden goose has just keeled over for me. Watchable, and certainly "based on" the original story, but too much added in order to drag out the story, and too little editing to make the result sufficiently engaging.

And that fúcking ending! Could you make it any clearer that this is part 2 of 3? 4/10 (and that's 'cos i likes hobbitses)

American Hustle - 7/10

Agree with the majority here. Whilst I did enjoy it, I didn't rate it as highly as many reviews. No complaints though. Jennifer Lawrence was excellent.

Argo 8/10

Watched for the first time recently. Very tense stuff with some good characters. Would recommend it. Ben Affleck's beard and haircut reminded me of Andrea Pirlo throughout.

The Spectacular Now

8.5/10

Didn't expect much but this was a great film and propelled itself into my top 5 of the year so far.

Great story, great acting by the two young lead stars, good subplots and even support from Saul from Breaking Bad and Bubbles from The Wire.

Watch it - you won't regret it.

Cheers for the recommendation David, loved it! As you say, Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller were excellent in the lead roles, don't think I've seen them in anything before. I was pretty annoyed at how they left it at the end though, but I can see why they did it that way. 8/10 for me.

Also, finally got round to watching The Perks of Being a Wallflower and it really was great. Very emotional. Loved the use of Bowie's 'Heroes'. 9/10

Just watched this on the back of your recommendation - you're not wrong, tremendous film.Btw, why does your post say edited by David McG??

I'm a mod on this part of the forum and added in the spoiler tags to his post just to be on the safe side for those yet to see it.

Baby I swear it's de ja vu.

Baby I swear it's de ja vu.

It's not de ja vu, it's just me being a dick. I didn't think my phone posted that earlier and I didn't see the reply either.

Also, I have alzheimers.

Also, I have alzheimers.

I absolutely adored American Hustle tbh. Really want to go see it again. Probably a 9/10 for me.

Saw 47 Ronin before that too and it was also very good. I love Keanu Reeves.

Off next week and not going away so planning a few cinema trips.

Definitely gonna see AH and also fancy the Mandela biopic and 12 years a Slave.

Good time of year for movies.

I absolutely adored American Hustle tbh. Really want to go see it again. Probably a 9/10 for me.

Saw 47 Ronin before that too and it was also very good. I love Keanu Reeves.

Your movie views have just been declared not valid.

Sorry Smurph, but he's an abomination of an actor. Apart from in Bill and Ted.

Matrix? He was alrite in Constintine

He's pretty bad in The Matrix, it's a fantastic film which covers it up well.

I'd probably put Dracula as his worst, but what the f**k was Coppola thinking casting him as Harker, fucking madness (as was Winona Ryder as Mina Harker)

American Hustle

Really enjoyed this, great characters and great acting. I know it's been said quite a lot but you can definitely see the Goodfella's influence on the film at times, especially the way the soundtrack is used. I would rate this film as a 9/10 if it weren't for the fact that I feel it slowed down quite a bit in the middle but the last third was excellent.

8/10

He's pretty bad in The Matrix, it's a fantastic film which covers it up well.

I'd probably put Dracula as his worst, but what the f**k was Coppola thinking casting him as Harker, fucking madness (as was Winona Ryder as Mina Harker)

Agreed on Dracula he was shocking