What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Agree on Disturbia and the big lebowski. I like Elysium though, maybe would give it an 8. Haven't seen the others.

Aye, that's probably a harsh 7, I also thoroughly enjoyed it, interesting set up that's well executed. Excellent follow up to District 9. The guys obviously a talented filmmaker, be interesting to see if he can branch out from sci-fi or if he's a bit of a one trick pony.

Never tire of watching TBL, would probably be in my all time top 10.

Has anyone seen Steve McQueen's other films Hunger and/or Shame? Quite keen on giving them go after watching 12YAS, but the subject matter doesn't interest me too much and I may be wildly off the mark but Hunger sounds quite sympathetic to the Strikers and Bobby Sands.

Aye, that's probably a harsh 7, I also thoroughly enjoyed it, interesting set up that's well executed. Excellent follow up to District 9. The guys obviously a talented filmmaker, be interesting to see if he can branch out from sci-fi or if he's a bit of a one trick pony.

Never tire of watching TBL, would probably be in my all time top 10.

Has anyone seen Steve McQueen's other films Hunger and/or Shame? Quite keen on giving them go after watching 12YAS, but the subject matter doesn't interest me too much and I may be wildly off the mark but Hunger sounds quite sympathetic to the Strikers and Bobby Sands.

Seen them both. Hunger was okay but Shame was pretty boring. Loads of nudity but not much else.

12 Years A Slave

Blew me away. One of the best films I've seen in years.

Just absolutely horrific though, almost from start to finish :( I guess I've never really thought about slavery, far less kidnapped slavery before, but to spend more than two hours reflecting on the absolute horror of what people went through at the hands of other people is really grim. I mean, some of the stuff that we as a species have done to each other just defies logic or explanation in the cold light of day.

Give the boy Chiwetel Ejiofor aw the Oscars. Still to see a lot of stuff nominated but I expect this will grab a few, for sure.

SPOILERS

The awful scenes are almost too numerous to list, but ones that really stuck in my throat and in my mind were Solomon's hanging (a very uncomfortable watch), the girl Patsy getting struck suddenly by the glass, her getting whipped after sneaking off to get a bar of soap, and the way Epps talked of Solomon as his 'property' as he's being lead away with his free papers. Ooft.

On a slight side note, I can't help but wonder what Hans Zimmer's thinking is when he sits down to compose. I mean, I was sitting watching Pirates of the Caribbean once and got so distracted trying to place the score, which I eventually realised was a carbon copy of Gladiator. I was convinced someone had been ripped off before realising they were both Zimmer efforts. Exact same thing happened with this, as I was totally taken out of the moment as I tried to place the score. I knew it was one of my favourite pieces of music, and eventually realised that it was just a total copy of his piece 'Time' from Inception. I mean, the guy is fantastic and has composed some cracking scores in his time, it's just baffling the way he makes stuff that so blatantly sounds the same :?

Silver Linings Playbook 8/10

I know it's been out for a while but just got around to watching it over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. The first 40minutes to an hour was very funny and although the laughs tail off a bit it's still a good movie.

Maybe gets a bit cheesy and predictable towards the end but it's still enjoyable.

Good performances from Cooper, Lawrence & De Niro.

PRISONERS

Glaring plot holes aside a really watchable thriller about two families trying to find their abducted kids and their attempts to deal with the nightmare. Jake Gyllenhaal is on top form as the detective in charge of the case. 7/10

What about his blinking tho? Haha!

Inside Llewellyn Davis

Good film.

I enjoyed the writing, the acting, the way it was shot/directed, and I especially enjoyed the music, I just thought it was lacking in story. Perhaps if I had known in advance that it was a film in which basically f**k all happens, I'd have enjoyed it more. As it was, I was expecting a bit more from a film garnering as much praise.

Enjoyable though, and I knew a film about a musician from the guys who brought us O Brother had to deliver on the music front. f**k it was stunning. The boy Oscar Isaac is an incredible talent - his voice is amazing. Definitely going to grab the soundtrack.

Not sure what I'm onto next, perhaps The Wolf of Wall Street.

Liars All. The idea for the film was interesting enough, but that was about it. Bunch of shite American actors trying to play shite British characters was never going to end well. 3/10.

If only I'd checked who was in first then I'd have known not to bother(bunch of shite actors who are in pish like One Tree Hill/ 90210 etc)