What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Under the Skin (?/10)

f**k knows how to rate this. On one hand it's like a failed college student's project with a ludicrous plotline. On the other hand, it's a charmingly weird sci-fi ride with a superbly grating score. I didn't really understand what was happening until the end, and am still grasping to understand the greater meaning it was trying to communicate.

The beach scene was utterly disturbing.

I thought it was shite, although I might just be too thick to fully understand it. Even seeing Johansson naked in it doesn't save it, and that's saying something.

The whole point was that it was alien in all senses. I thought in parts it was terrifying, and not the horrible deaths parts.

Decent point. I liked how the environmental sounds around her became more evident as the movie progressed, and the music less pronounced. Like she was becoming aware of herself and her place.

I should probably watch it again knowing the ending (though I don't know if I want to watch the beach scene again, ever). Nothing to do with Scarlett, of course :wub:

Under the Skin (?/10)

f**k knows how to rate this. On one hand it's like a failed college student's project with a ludicrous plotline. On the other hand, it's a charmingly weird sci-fi ride with a superbly grating score. I didn't really understand what was happening until the end, and am still grasping to understand the greater meaning it was trying to communicate.

The beach scene was utterly disturbing.

That was pretty much my take on it. I walked out of the cinema not knowing if I enjoyed it or not. I was thinking about it for a couple of days afterwards though and I did buy the book a couple of weeks later.

Nightcrawler (8*/10)

'Patrick Bateman's long-lost twin brother tries to get on in life in LA'... by filming crime scenes. Loved the way the director made all his actions seem normal through sympathetic music, (some) characters, and of course the protagonist's own justifications in his confident, smooth dialogue. Gave the movie quite an unnerving feeling, seeing the world wholly through this guy's reality.

Some brilliantly filmed, exciting car action too, especially once he'd upgraded. I despise car movies, but here it was important for the plot, not central to it.

*7/10 + a point for a superb performance from Jake Gyllenhaal.

Edited by banana

Still Alice 5/10

Bit average this, Moore was good but her only actually believable relationship in the film was with the one out of Twilight, didn't really buy any of the rest of the characters. Quite moving in parts seeing someone succumb to such a grim disease but let down by being pretty cheesy in other bits.

A Most Violent Year - 6/10

I watched this hoping for a Scorcese-type film but was disappointed. Its a slow burner with a great performance by the lead (Oscar Isaacs) about an ambitious businessman trying to expand but keeping it within the law whilst having his business and family attacked throughout. Its on for two hours but by the end, you feel that somethings missing and that nothing has really happened

'71 - 7/10

British soldier Jack O'Connell is left stranded after his regiment is attacked on the wrong side of Belfast during the height of the troubles. It seems as if everyone is after him for different reasons and most want him dead. Another top performance from O'Connell who's acting career seems to go from strength to strength. His credits over the last few years have been terrific so hopefully it continues

Whiplash 7/10

Didn't like it as much as the consensus. I couldn't get past that stupid idea of bullying someone making them a better artist, but on the whole it was entertaining.

Edited by Christophe

The Wee Man 4/10

Weegie criminal Paul Ferris's life story up to when he was cleared of the murder of Arthur Thomsons son. Full of crap acting and clichés. Fucking loves himself though, as the film turns him into some kind of 'hero of the people/legend'.

Still Alice

The ending seemed to come a bit out of the blue, but it's still a very good movie, driven by a fairly emotive, if a bit overly so at times, plot. It definitely lays it on pretty thick at times, but it's a testament to the story told and the people involved that this remains good. Julianne Moore deserving of the best actress, but praise should be heaped on Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart for their sizeable roles in this one as well, and Stephen Kunken in his small but still sizeable in it's own way role as Alice's doctor.

The gradual plight of Alice is pretty well told and it borders on uncomfortable at times. Definitely worth a look.

8/10

Needing a change of tone, we decided to stay in the cinema and see something else...

Wayne's World

Forgot sooooo much about this movie, which is a good thing as it was great to see all of these wee things that I like about it popping up again. A much needed pick up this.

8/10

Reservoir Dogs 1/10 I had never seen this, lasted about 40 minutes after finding it whilst channel hopping (caught it right at the start). Utter garbage! Really do not understand the hype.

American Pie 2

Nostalgia trip here, was a favourite in my teenage years, not watched in like 5, 6 years.

The dildo scene & the glued scene still gets me :lol:

Solid 7.5/10

Philomena

Quite enjoyed this story of a mother trying to find her son 50 years after he was taken away from her in a forced adoption. It's a true story so is like to know how much of this film actually happened and how much of it has been fabricated. Really enjoyed Steve Coogan's portrayal of Martin Sixsmith.

8/10

The Darjeeling Limited

Three brothers go across India by train on a bonding/soul searching mission. Directed by Wes Anderson so visually brilliant and got his usual vibe about it. Really entertaining

8/10

In Your Eyes

A man and a woman from different parts of America can see what the other is seeing and communicate telepathically. Story is a bit hokey but the two main characters are really well acted which makes it a nice wee watch.

7/10