What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I have a couple of Giuseppe Tornatore films on my must see list, Cinema Paradiso and Malena, but thought I'd give this one a shot first after it was recommended to me.

The Legend of 1900

This is a fantastical tale about a baby boy who is found on an ocean liner in 1900 and grows up to be a music prodigy. Tim Roth is far removed from his usual role as he smiles and charms everyone aboard the liner going back and forward from Europe to America. There are plenty of great scenes but none are better than when Jelly Roll Morton hears about this upstart and challenges him to a piano duel which is played out in great style by Roth and has an incredible finale. You're left guessing if '1900' will ever leave the ship but it's pretty easy to know the answer, even so the final scene is still quite a shock, both sad and heart warming at the same time.

9/10

Inherent Vice.

2/10

Inherent Vice

9/10

I sort of agree with both these reviews. I probably need to see it again.

It's a refreshing film, as all of Paul Thomas Anderson's last three films have been. His character driven films feel real - life isn't a simple three-act process where everything gets resolved. He's perhaps the most important "Hollywood" director to emerge from the 90s: he's certainly the most accomplished (sorry Tarantino, Fincher, et al). It does feel like it's leading you somewhere before going down a different track, very much in the same vein as The Master. Bizarrely, it felt like psychedelic neon-noir cross between The Long Goodbye, The Big Lebowski, and The Grand Budapest Hotel.

It's probably just about alright. Inherent Vice will inevitably be a cult classic but I'm not sure if it's for me. Great to see Joanna Newsom though, even if she is making us wait for another album.

Edited by yoda

Edge of Darkness - IIRC, Mel Gibson's last film before being outed as a massive racist and conspiracy theorist. Decent murder-mystery conspiracy drama, with Mel tracking down his daughter's killer. Ray Winstone does a pleasantly subdued turn as a shadowy intelligence agent hired to keep tabs on Mel's progress. Held together nicely by the two leads, and a plethora of faces you'll recognise. Not a classic, but definitely worth watching.

Pacific Rim - was a bit disappointed by this on first viewing, but it was more enjoyable this time. It's just a big dumb effects cartoon about non-transforming Transformers fighting Godzilla's buddies, but it's still more entertaining than most big CGI blockbusters. A bit silly and occasionally cheesy, but it could've been a lot worse.

There are also a lot of little things that will be of interest to gamers, including the voice of GLaDOS as the robot AI, which has the unfortunate side effect of making you realise how much more awesome it would be to be watching a Portal movie :P

The Wee Man

Kinda shite - Ferris, Thompson and McGraw were horrible people who would have been responsible for untold pain and misery on countless numbers of people.

Thought the film kinda glamorised their lifestyle more than it probably was.

And Compston is a shit actor...

3/10

Birdman. 8/10. Edward Norton is the fucking boy. Until Keaton starts flying this was utterly superb, but that was the turning point for me and I really disliked the ending, but I guess they need to end it on a surreal/happyish note. Definitely want to watch this again and should be up for an Oscar for one of the cinematogrophy or the editing or something.

Saw it today and pretty much agree with this. I really enjoyed it but wasn't sure about the ending at all, Ed Norton was fantastic though. Loved the way it was shot without cuts.

Smurph, on 08 Jan 2015 - 08:10, said:snapback.png

Birdman. 8/10. Edward Norton is the fucking boy. Until Keaton starts flying this was utterly superb, but that was the turning point for me and I really disliked the ending, but I guess they need to end it on a surreal/happyish note. Definitely want to watch this again and should be up for an Oscar for one of the cinematogrophy or the editing or something.

Saw it today and pretty much agree with this. I really enjoyed it but wasn't sure about the ending at all, Ed Norton was fantastic though. Loved the way it was shot without cuts.

Someone wasn't paying attention at the start because he is 'flying' in the opening scene.

And Yes, Ed Norton is just :wub: , hasn't been this good since Fight Club imo (honourable mention for 25th Hour though).

Someone wasn't paying attention at the start because he is 'flying' in the opening scene.

And Yes, Ed Norton is just :wub: , hasn't been this good since Fight Club imo (honourable mention for 25th Hour though).

I was aware of that at the start, but it seemed pretty clear to me that it was part of his delusions.

I'm starting to interpret it as that he did die when he shot himself in the theatre and the final scene was sort of a representation of him being at peace in death, since his play was a success and his daughter now admires him.

Edited by Gareth_Glasgow

I was reading on a website that the ending they wanted would have featured Johnny Depp in the dressing room putting on a wig for the main character in the play. In the background would be a pirates of Caribbean poster and Depp would look up at it before saying what are we doing here mate.

Watched a few films lately, flight which is mentioned in this thread was decent. Can't think of a Denziel Washington film I've not enjoyed.

Watched another called Side Effects which is about a Doc played by Jude Law who puts one of his patients on a new drug for depression. The film then follows what happens when she has been on the drug. Thought it had a fairly good twist in it.

I watched A Bronx Tale last night and I wish I could change my votes for Top Films of the '90s as this would be right up there. Really engaging film with interesting characters. Chazz Palminteri has a great presence about him. If you're forcing me to give it a rating out of 10, I'd plump for 9. Solid.

I watched A Bronx Tale last night and I wish I could change my votes for Top Films of the '90s as this would be right up there. Really engaging film with interesting characters. Chazz Palminteri has a great presence about him. If you're forcing me to give it a rating out of 10, I'd plump for 9. Solid.

Indeed. It was my number 10 on that particular list. I'm not sure whether it's underrated or wasn't widely released, but it certainly doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Big Hero 6 - really enjoyed the first half of the film. If it had kept going at that pace it would have been a 9 or 10/10 but as soon as it turned into being superhero against the bad guy it kinda lost it is edge. Baymax was fantastic and is one of the best characters Disney have made in years.

7/10