What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Southpaw

3.5 out of 10.

Very underwhelming given the hype surrounding it.

I suppose there's only so many ways that you can go with a boxing film but it just had the feel of something you've seen numerous times before. I mean, 50 Cent was essentially a less flamboyant George Washington Duke in Rocky 5 who sides with the new upcoming challenger; Escobar was a modern Clubber Lang, even down to the wife taunts; and Forest Whittaker's character was uncannily similar to Morgan Freeman's in Million Dollar Baby.

A big thing was made about the authenticity of the boxing scenes which looked equally as choreographed as any other fighting film I've seen; adding more prosthetics and having Gyllenhaal spit blood regularly doesn't make it any more genuine.

An array of utterly vacuous characters in action - Rita Ora at the top of the list followed by Naomie Harris and Victor Ortiz.

Gyllenhaal is good and obviously got into great shape; wouldn't say it's anywhere near his best performance though (see Prisoners and Nightcrawler for that). McAdams is some top notch swatch; the scene on the bed after the fight was certainly one of the positives.

Overall, I expected a lot more from a Fuqua film. It had an ever so slightly self-indulgent feel to it at times which is understandable given the script was essentially written for Eminem as some kind of metaphor for his life.

Interstellar (9/10)

Scattered flaws in the science and believability at points do little to hamper the film's considerable wow factor. Some truly outstanding cinematography/effects, well-paced story and intrigue throughout. The black hole speculative sci-fi was a huge gamble... but it worked. The visualization of a 3-dimensional world over time worked really well. Destined to be an all-time sci-fi classic.

A return to sci-fi glory for Nolan after his truly awful Inception and apparently mediocre Transcendence. Amazingly didn't make the 8 films nominated for best film Oscar (won by fucking Birdman).

Interstellar (9/10)

Scattered flaws in the science and believability at points do little to hamper the film's considerable wow factor. Some truly outstanding cinematography/effects, well-paced story and intrigue throughout. The black hole speculative sci-fi was a huge gamble... but it worked. The visualization of a 3-dimensional world over time worked really well. Destined to be an all-time sci-fi classic.

A return to sci-fi glory for Nolan after his truly awful Inception and apparently mediocre Transcendence. Amazingly didn't make the 8 films nominated for best film Oscar (won by fucking Birdman).

Birdman completely deserved Best Picture, in my opinion. Interstellar was a good movie and definitely deserved to be nominated but it is far from Nolan's best work and I felt the ending was very poor.

Another coupe from my Hitch collection

Psycho (1960)

Welcome to Bates Motel, Norman has a room ready! A timeless masterpiece and my favourite Hitchcock film, the original horror/slasher movie that influenced so many that followed.

A well deserved 10/10

Family Plot (1976)

The great man's final film is a Columbo type romp. Bruce Dern is no Peter Falk but he does show the same dogged determination and smokes a pipe instead of a cigar. Good performances from the supporting cast and plenty of laughs including a hilarious runaway car sequence.

A solid 7/10

Another coupe from my Hitch collection

Psycho (1960)

Welcome to Bates Motel, Norman has a room ready! A timeless masterpiece and my favourite Hitchcock film, the original horror/slasher movie that influenced so many that followed.

A well deserved 10/10

Only two problems with Psycho - the title, and the fact that everyone's already seen it now without having seen it, if you see what I mean.

Imagine going to see it back in 1960 if it'd had some generic title like "The Heist". Proper mind-f**k :thumsup2

Nolan didn't do Transcendence. Gie the guy a break!

Inception, awful? :o Everyone's entitled to their opinion, obviously, but my word.

Apologies, he was only the producer.

From a sci-fi and movie lover point of view, Inception was rank rotten. An action/heist/James Bondesque special effects affair with a dubious and simplistic sci-fi layer, with cringeworthy performances of rubber characters from Di Caprio and Page (Hardy and Levitt were half-decent with their characters), and enough exposition fannying about that you could easily have fast-forwarded an hour of the movie. A tragic shell of the film it could and should've been.

Birdman completely deserved Best Picture, in my opinion. Interstellar was a good movie and definitely deserved to be nominated but it is far from Nolan's best work and I felt the ending was very poor.

Interstellar wasn't even nominated for best film. Birdman won due to film industry wanking over a wanky film about their industry, imo. The two films are a decent side-by-side comparison in terms of being bold and visually tempting, but for me Birdman swung a wild haymaker and missed and therefore looked foolish, while Interstellar swung a wild haymaker and delivered.

Edited by banana

Interstellar (9/10)

Really liked Interstellar.

It's not for everyone and the interpretation of 5th dimensional communication seems bizarre to many, (my wife included). The only real flaw I had with an otherwise almost perfect film, (theoretical science discussion aside), was the ending. After 3 hours, the ending was extremely rushed. The emotional payoff was, or should have been, he entire point of the film but was shoehorned in. I agree with the 9/10 rating - top notch.

Jurassic World (7.5/10)

Far better than I was expecting it to be. Despite the backstory being hard to believe. I mean come on, people are bored of coming to a theme park populated by cloned dinosaurs after just 10 years? Chris Pratt played a very good lead role, and was a much more honest version of an alpha male character. Claire's character was just not likable at all. For a start there is no way given the attitude's of the park owner could someone like her find herself in that position. Her character traits are also inconsistent and hence is not a believable character. She displays type 1 psychopath traits early on, but they don't show up in the second half of the movie. So I would have to assume it's more a case of her being incompetent at doing her job and perhaps a case of the writers trying to have a politically correct character. Rather than one that would act in a logical way. Worst of all, at the end she makes no attempt at an apology or gratitude after everything that happened during the course of the movie.

Edited by Fotbawmad

Inside Out

Thought this was brilliant. When Pixar get it right they get everything spot on. A great mixture of comedy, emotion and a really clever/interesting theme. It would make a brilliant crash psychology course for kids actually.

8/10

Southpaw

I'd like to watch this again in the future and work out what I thought of it. I spent maybe 2/3 of the film not really enjoying it but did find myself buying into it in the final act. I think having enjoyed various performances from Gyllenhaal as intelligent, enigmatic characters, I just really struggled to believe him as a slavering bonehead.

I also could've told you exactly what exactly was going to happen for the rest of the film after 20 minutes*, so it surprised me that I still found myself interested at the end.

Although I did think he might die in the dressing room in front of his kid due to the film being little more than a The Champ / Rocky mashup.

Edited by Alan Stubbs