What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Boyhood:

Pretty forgettable, in my opinion. The idea was excellent and very ambitious but it barely got out of first gear and became a drag as he grew up. I stopped caring about him not long after they left the abusive dad's house. It felt like the director wanted to cover so many things that they could barely develop any of them. I understand a lot of people like this (100 on Metacritic and 98% on Rotten Tomatoes is incredible) but it just didn't really click with me.

4/10

Gyllenhaal was terrific I thought. Completely bought into him. I'm fairly sure if it wasn't for him, I'd have disliked the movie immensely. As it is, I enjoyed it.

Is it wrong that he's one of my favourite actors and I would watch him in pretty much anything...?

The Legend of Barney Thomson

Thought it was ok, liked that it was filmed in Glasgow therefore I recognised lots of locations (eg Bridgeton train station). I didn't realise it was based on a book. Thought Emma Thompson played a good part as his mum.

7/10

I'm taking my elder lassie to see this on Thursday. The flicks and then some food in Chinatown. I'm really hoping it's a good film.

I'm with banana here but I can see why others appreciated Birdman and disliked Innerspace.

Now there's a sci-fi comedy classic.

The moment early on where the dude jumps up in the doctor's office with a panicked look on his face and announces, "I'm possessed!". :lol: Superb.

Edited by banana

Inside Out

A little bit of Pixar magic. Not side splittingly funny, but a very emotionally intelligent movie. I loved it.

I also loved the 'My Lava' short movie at the start too!

9/10

Southpaw

I liked it a bit more than other on the thread to be honest. It's a fight film, so you kind of know that the movie will end in one of two ways. Was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a bigger emotional pay off at the end. The Rita Ora cameo was completely unnecessary and added nothing other than another movie credit to her name.

6/10

Legend of Barney Thomson

I love a black comedy and this hit all the right notes for me. I guessed the 'twist' (if it was supposed to be one) and it had some brilliant one liners right the way through the movie.

7/10

Edited by Kyle

Southpaw

Was put off this earlier in the week after the kicking (or punching) it has taken in the reviews both in the newspapers and on here. Decided to go and see it this afternoon and I left the cinema pleasantly surprised. It was marketed in such a way that it has been built up for months and many thought it was going to be a classic (which it definitely isn't) but it is still a very watcheable film. Yes it is cliche-ridden and it is paced terribly in places but it is engaging and as usual Jake Gyllenhaal is very good.

7/10

Inside Out:

Don't usually go to the cinema with my family but, due to the praise this got, I decided to this time. Was everything you'd expect from Pixar: excellent animation, funny, deep and a great movie. By far my favourite of the year.

9/10

Pan's Labyrinth- On the strength of the reviews in the best films of the 21st century thread, I got hold of this. I'm not feeling the love for this I'm afraid. It's a decent enough way to spend a couple of hours but it didn't really hit home for me. A lot more violent than I was expecting. 6.5/10.

The Guest - familiar "crazy lodger" plot that you'll have seen plenty of times before; however, it's quite nicely done, with an interesting score and memorable main performance from Dan Stevens. No real surprises, but an entertaining watch nonetheless. From some of the folk involved in the V/H/S films, and the decent horror siege flick You're Next.

The Guest - familiar "crazy lodger" plot that you'll have seen plenty of times before; however, it's quite nicely done, with an interesting score and memorable main performance from Dan Stevens. No real surprises, but an entertaining watch nonetheless. From some of the folk involved in the V/H/S films, and the decent horror siege flick You're Next.

Love that film, reminded me of Drive in the end for some reason.