What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

It is a god awful film, amazing to think that these things secure millions of pounds of investment and cost ridiculous sums of money to make. Shite.

I brought that up on here a while ago when I saw that Three Musketeers film; someone pointed out that it, and practically everything Paul WS Anderson makes, made a lot of money. I must admit, I was really surprised, but it's true. I've seen a couple of films by the boy that I liked, but most of them are straight-to-video quality keich on a big budget, and people keep turning up in droves. Bizarre.

Quality taste in women though. Woof.

Three Musketeers (2011)

2/10

The casting for this film is fucking abysmal. It was evidently some lady called Suzanne Smith who was responsible. I can only assume she randomly flicked through a casting agency brochure with her eyes shut. She somehow managed to find a part for unfunny man, James Cordon. Did he briefly have a period where he was the new Ricky Gervais? The darling of casting people but utterly ruins films.

There are flying ships.

The film obviously wants to 'do a Sherlock Holmes' and reinvent the Three Musketeers. It fails.

I genuinely had no idea this existed until it came on TV yesterday. It wasn't great at all. The Man In The Iron Mask was also on...was yesterday a significant day in the French calendar or Alexandre Dumas' birthday or something?

Saw Maggie mentioned a page or so back - I really enjoyed this film too. Abigal Breslin was excellent as the infected girl, and Arnie proves that he can act. The accent didn't do him any favours as I do think he was supposed to be American, but there's nothing he can do about that.

This only has 53% or something similar on Rotten Tomatoes, which is criminally low. It's a very good character movie. I was shocked I enjoyed it so much to be honest as I was expected a horror!

8/10

Edit: This film really has split the reviewers it seems. Some giving it 5 stars, some saying it was too melancholy, others saying it wasn't melancholy enough. I think those that went in with pre-conceived ideas of it being a typical Arnie movie, or indeed a jumpy horror, probably left disappointed. I thought it was much better than what those plot lines would potentially allow.

Edited by Kyle

Imitation Game 7/10

Cumberbatch was excellent in this. Very good film even though there are no surprises in it due to the historical record of the events depicted. Turing has deserved recognition for his achievements and genius and this film goes some way to repairing his reputation wrongly tarnished by bigotry and ignorance.

Great supporting cast and lovely sepia soaked set.

Bought the Alien/Prometheus box set.

Prometheus: 5/10, I want to enjoy it, but I was left confused at a few bits, I'll be rewatching it.

Alien: 8/10, enjoyable, still trying to figure out how the fucking cat survived :lol:

Jones the Cat is the Alien series' biggest badass. Considering the number of sequels and spin-offs Fox have done at this point, I'm raging that they still haven't given the fans what they really want - the further adventures of Jonesy, after Ripley abandoned him on Earth. No way a cat that awesome would have settled down to an early retirement.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

This is a LOT of fun. Reminiscent of the Bourne movies in that it starts frantically and doesn't really slow down after that. If it's big action you want from this movie, then you're bound to be entertained by it. It does get a bit ludicrous at times. The answer "how much is too much?" probably gets asked when the mental Morocco action sequence kicks in. But it remains entertaining as f**k so I'm not overly fussed by that.

8/10

Moon (2009)

An excellent indie sci-fi film with elements of Silent Running, 2001 and Alien which is no bad thing and there's enough originality to make it worthy on it's own. Isolation and the loneliness of space are the main themes and although the major twist is revealed early on it doesn't spoil the rest of the film.

Directed by Duncan Jones who I only just realised is Zowie Bowie :unsure:

9/10

Moon (2009)

An excellent indie sci-fi film with elements of Silent Running, 2001 and Alien which is no bad thing and there's enough originality to make it worthy on it's own. Isolation and the loneliness of space are the main themes and although the major twist is revealed early on it doesn't spoil the rest of the film.

Directed by Duncan Jones who I only just realised is Zowie Bowie :unsure:

9/10

You'd imagine his dad's pretty proud of him. Source Code was a good watch too.

I've absolutely no interest in Warcraft, but I might give it a watch purely because he's directing.

Mission impossible rogue nation

Love the MI films. They're so ridiculous that there's no point in ever thinking "hold on, that's not realistic". You just switch off your brain and strap in for the ride.

Was great fun. The motorbike chase scene is as good as I've seen. Some of the POV footage was breathtaking.