What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Borderlands - had already seen it, but fancied another look after reading that it finally got a US release earlier this year with the shite title of Final Prayer. A three-man team are sent to a rural English village by the Holy See to investigate some unusual events in the local church, which was abandoned long ago but has recently started to be used for Catholic services again.

This is a really good moody piece, and one of the best in the found-footage genre. It's a slow burn, with some good character work from everyone involved, especially Gordon Kennedy, who's something of a revelation for someone who's only really familiar with his comedy work. I don't want to give too much away, but I found the end quite satisfying, and it's something of a surprise how things are wrapped up. It was definitely worth seeing a second time after a break, as there were a few things I noticed with hindsight that I didn't catch originally.

Really enjoyed it, preferred it to 8Mile (sorry Miley).

Trainwreck - 6/10

Reasonably funny in parts, definite chick flick IMO (saying that, there seemed to be lots of guys in the cinema, dragged along by wives/girlfriends probably). A couple of laugh out loud bits too but the storyline was very predictable.

I dragged my girlfriend along to see it haha.

I'd give it 6/10's a fair score. Colin Quinn's performance could bring it up to 7 though.

Tammy 5/10

Standard Melissa McCarthy fair. 'Larger than life girl with a soul' has an obstacle to overcome with some 'hilarious' consequences along the way.

Absolutely nothing great about this movie which has some smile worthy moments and is an ok way to waste a couple of hours. Pretty meh really

Interstellar - 8/10

Great Effects, Decent Plot but Matthew McConaughey was almost incomprehensible for the first 40 minutes of the film, Jessica Chastain saved the film for me and pushed it from a 7 to an 8 for me.

FWIW I actually quite enjoyed the jokes that the robot was making.

Edited by Marr1

Interstellar - 8/10

Great Effects, Decent Plot but Matthew McConaughey was almost incomprehensible for the first 40 minutes of the film, Jessica Chastain saved the film for me and pushed it from a 7 to an 8 for me.

FWIW I actually quite enjoyed the jokes that the robot was making.

Great film. TARS the robot was indeed good fun.

2001: A Space Odyssey

I had seen some of this quite a few years ago (and knew a lot of the scenes purely because of the Simpsons), but this was the first time I'd seen it the whole way through. I really enjoyed it, not too sure what the girlfriend thought of it though. For a film from 1968 this was years ahead of its time and was very thought-provoking. The score is also iconic and unbelievably good. I'd say my favourite segment of the film was the journey to Jupiter involving HAL, but I can see this changing in the future.

9/10 - I'd quite like to read the book to see how the two compare.

The Breakfast Club.

Not sure how I'd missed seeing this at some point in the last 30 years. Apart from the odd jaunt to the bogs or store room, the action rarely strays from the main characters seeing out their Saturday morning detention in the school hall. Perfect piece of 80s teen comedy drama. 9/10

Zero Dark Thirty: 8/10

A good film about the assassination of Osama bin Laden. Again, like Interstellar, Jessica Chastain plays the committed protagonists, who, will use any means necessary to track down the man she needs to find. Also a good few cameos from actors like Mark Strong and John Barrowman. Would defo recommend

2001: A Space Odyssey

I had seen some of this quite a few years ago (and knew a lot of the scenes purely because of the Simpsons), but this was the first time I'd seen it the whole way through. I really enjoyed it, not too sure what the girlfriend thought of it though. For a film from 1968 this was years ahead of its time and was very thought-provoking. The score is also iconic and unbelievably good. I'd say my favourite segment of the film was the journey to Jupiter involving HAL, but I can see this changing in the future.

9/10 - I'd quite like to read the book to see how the two compare.

I'm afraid I can't let you do that

Mission Impossible 5 - exactly what I hoped. Just great fun. Action followed by more action followed by a small plot development follwed by even more carnage.

Gonna go watch the first one again tonight. Just hearing the title music brought all the memories of watching MI back when I was a kid.

9/10

The Godfather: Part III - 7.5/10

Finally got round to watching this and I was pleasantly surprised. It's obviously not on the same level as the first two but still a decent film with Pacino as good as ever. I've read a few reviews and a lot seem to be panning Sofia Coppola's performance but I actually thought she was good as Michael's daughter, might just be that I fancy her a bit though! Andy Garcia was decent as well but it definitely missed Robert Duvall.