What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I thought Ted 2 started terrible, picked up a bit in the middle, then ended terribly.

4/10 for me. Amanda Seyfried a lot better in that kind of role than I thought expected, although I've only just remembered she was hilarious in Mean Girls.

Song of the Sea. Irish animation about selkies and owl fairies. I actually really enjoyed it. The hand drawn animation style made the movie. Would certainly recommend giving it a go if you like Ghibli movies as this bares more than a passing resemblance to it.

8/10

4/10 for me. Amanda Seyfried a lot better in that kind of role than I thought expected, although I've only just remembered she was hilarious in Mean Girls.

In my head, she'll always be sucking on Julianne Moore's nipples.

Spy Game

Robert Redford is the seasoned CIA agent on his last day on the job, has 24 hours to save an agent he recruited (Brad Pitt) from the death penaly in China... the story flips from the present situation to how he recruited Pitt and how the relationship between the two men developed, well thought out and well acted,very enjoyable 8/10

I don't normally come on this thread but I did yesterday for some reason and thanks to this I downloaded and watched last night.......absolutely brilliant......9/10 for me.

Fury

Missed this at the cinema, saw it on Sky yesterday. A refreshing change from the usual formula, no overt flag waving which can be a real pain. Interesting to see the Americans not being painted as square jawed heroes with good intentions, but as characters every bit as dangerous and out of control as the Nazis themselves. Few films touch on this aspect, the campaign in Germany being viewed differently by the characters. While previous action in Europe was liberation, this film looks at the conquering and revenge phase of the war, and does it effectively.

8/10

Catch Me If You Can

I never get fed up of this film. Absolutely love it. It grabs you straight away and keeps you hooked throughout.

The fact this was based on real events is pretty unbelievable but for these events to have been carried out by a 17 year old is pretty incredible. It's a story about fraud and we should really hate Abagnale, but you just can't. Not only are you routing for him at times due to the balls he has, but he comes across as an actual nice guy as well as a very lonely unfulfilled young man. It's the latter part which IMO makes Hanratty have respect for him. Hanratty clearly gets wound up and frustrated with him but at no point do you get the feeling he wants to hurt or see harm come to Abagnale. Quite the opposite actually. They are both lonely guys and I felt they both kept each other on their toes and both of them secretly enjoyed that. At first I imagine the money was the Abagnale's drive but come the end he was doing it more out of boredom and 'because he could'. I can believe the real characters are still close friends as they both appear to be similar people. Abagnale himself stole millions but he's probably prevented billions from being stolen.

I loved his cameo in the film as the arresting officer in France :lol:

A solid 9/10 for me.

Catch Me If You Can

I can believe the real characters are still close friends as they both appear to be similar people.

Sadly no longer friends, after "Carl" died in 2013.

Inverted commas because, for unknown reasons, two different pseudonyms were used for the book and the film, and his real identity wasn't revealed until after his death. Interesting things about "Carl Hanratty".

The Last Man on Earth (1964) 8.5/10

First filmed version of Matheson's book "I Am Legend" (Others being 71's Omega Man, and the Will Smith abomination) and by far the best. Vincent Price is superb as the last man alive, and the entire film is wonderfully atmospheric and apocalyptic. all the better for being B/W

It Follows - interesting, sedately paced, and dreamlike horror about an STD which results in a slow-moving, relentless supernatural assassin stalking the recipient. The unreal sleepy atmosphere reminded me of some of Lucio Fulci's work, with an unusual score best summed up as John Carpenter making music for an 8-bit video game. Finding a satisfying ending always seemed difficult, but it was quite good, all told.

Watch four movies nursing a hangover on Sunday

Calvary - Irish movie about a priest that recieves a death threat and has one week left to live. Really enjoyed this, I guess you'd call it a black comedy. 7.5/10

Get Hard - Comedy with Will Ferrall and Kevin Hart, usual Will Ferral nonsense. 4/10

Jurrasic World - Enjoyed this more than i expected, 6.5/10

The Loft - Pretty mince 5/10

American Pie: Reunion, 6/10, characters are older, not where they expected to be and are coming to terms with personal issues at a high school Reunion, good humour, but felt they started to run out of ideas near the end.

Iron Man 3: 5/10, they fucked up The Mandarin.

Slow West

Debut feature film, relatively low budget (<$250,000), and relatively short running time (<90 minutes). Well worth watching for some gorgeous camera work and one of the best Westerns of the last 10-15 years. It's certainly well placed in my top five (and if we exclude No Country For Old Men, it's maybe pushing into the top three).

Teenage boy from the north of Scotland arrives somewhere in the Frontier looking for his "love" and ends up bumping into Michael Fassbender's bounty hunter. That's all I'll say. There's shades of the Coens, with splashes of "classic" era Westerns, and you've got a strong yet understated performance from Fassbender. Ben Mendelsohn is also in it, so that in itself is reason enough to check it out.

The Wackness(2008)

Coming-of-age comedy starring Josh Peck as an early 90s high school kid about to go off to uni who spends his summer selling weed to, amongst others, Ben Kingsley, a therapist he sees and pays with tha sweet dank. Olivia Thirlby acts as the love interest and the therapists daughter. Funny, nostalgic and quite emosh at parts as well. Really nice 90s hip-hop soundtrack to it as well.

7.5/10

ps.

Ben Kinglsey got a Razzie for this performance I think. Not sure why tbh, he wasn't that bad.