What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Requiem for a dream - 7/10

Pretty fucked up film. Old dear on speed. Ass to ass

Saw this last night. I've had the DVD for a while but not watched as I had read quite a few reviews that it was really bleak, with many saying it's one of the most depressing films ever, and wasn't wanting to be brought down so much.

Just decided to fire it on last night. Quite enjoyed it. It was nowhere near as bleak as folk made and wasn't depressing at all. Indeed I found quite a bit of it pretty amusing. It's a good study in to addiction and a pretty accurate, albeit extreme, one. I liked how the tone utterly changed halfway through when the drugs ran out. See how Marion and Henry turn on each other so quickly. The slide in to increasingly desperate acts to get the next fix was grim, but the consequences were grimmer. As I said above though, I felt there was definitely an (exceptionally dark) thread of humour to it all. The most unsettling thing about the film was the mother's descent. The most emotional moment of the film was when she tried to justify her addiction to Henry. Her transformation throughout was pretty frightening, and this film had the scariest fridge since Dana discovered that Zool was chilling in hers in Ghostbusters.

Great effort. 8/10

Minions.

Meh. When they are bit part characters in another film they are great in short doses but a whole film of them is too much. Liked the first 20 minutes but the rest was pretty average.

5/10

Slow West (8/10)

One of my favourite films of the year so far. Set in 1870, a young wet behind the ears Scottish guy heads off into the wild west looking for the girl he loves, who had to leave Scotland in a bit of a hurry, for reasons that will become apparent.

Beatiful cinematography and a wonderful score, it's a joy to the eye and ear. A fine mix of quiet dialogue, intense action and at times slapstick comedy, along with a few moments of misdirection and surprise, this is a must see.

It would have got a full 10/10 but for the fact that no matter how long the two main characters travel west, they always appear to be passing the same range of hills, like the endlessly repeating background of a Scooby-Doo chase sequence.

Apart from this minor point, it's afantastic film.

Looking forward to this myself.

It was directed by Scottish musician john Maclean who was in the beta band and the aliens.

Walkabout (1971)

A solid 8/10

A beautifully shot thought provoking film which was a welcome break from your bone fide Hollywood blockbuster.

Nary a mention of bare scuddy Agutter. Impressive!

Terminator: Genysis

Really enjoyed this, a great mixture of action and humour. I'm sure the pedants will have a field day with the whole wibbly-wobbly, timey wimey stuff. Saw it in 3D, but I don't think that it gains anything by it, so save yourself a few quid and see it in 2D.

8/10

Jurassic World - went in with low expectations. Came out pleasantly surprised by how good the film was. 7/10

Exactly what I would have hoped for - dinosaur rampage ruins family vacation.

Minions - went in with low expectations. Came out unpleasantly surprised by how poor the film was. 2/10

I did like the start as it showed the Minions through time but after that it was just dull. I don't even think the kids in the cinema were enjoying it either. Scarlett Overkill was a piss poor villian and Sandra Bullock must have been hungover when she did the voice overs.

Jurassic World - (I don't want to ruin it but a dinosaur gets loose and eats people.) (solid 7/10 film),

Chef - (Meh 5/10), (John Favreau is brilliant as usual but seems to have taken on too much with this labour of love. RDJ is grossly underused in his cameo)

Interstellar - (Loved it 9/10), (Really engaging sci-fi which polarises opinion with it's interpretation of 5th dimensional physics and gravity).

Sin City - A Dame to Kill For, (5/10) (Not a patch on the first film. The 'noir' with colour to emphasise scenes or blood is just annoying this time. No engaging characters apart from Marv again, the individual stories are all weak so don't hold interest).

Edited by killienick