What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Straight Outta Compton

Fucking loved it. Brilliant film about a brilliant group and a brilliant album.

Did chuckle about Cube talking about having a baby on the way in one scene - the actor, O'Shea Jr, was essentially talking about himself!

It's spooky how good the casting was throughout, it didn't even look like actors playing parts, more like the actual people in question

Saw Everest today (2D obviously). Enjoyable stuff that captured the beauty and danger of the highest mountain on Earth (altitude I mean).

Rob should never have died. He should never have let the mailman persuade him to go to the summit. I know it's based on a true story so if that's what actually happened the guy should never have been running a company like that. Harsh maybe as he was portrayed as a sound guy but sentiment has no place in the Death Zone (the air is so thin that your body uses up more oxygen that it can take in, meaning that eventually you run out and die, thus the oxygen cannisters).

Scott also had no place running a company like that if he really did push himself like the film portrayed.

I can see why folk would want to climb Everest and it must be unbelievably amazing to do it and make all the pain worthwhile, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Legend

8.5/10

Missus wants to go and watch again. Some very funny stuff in there. If you took some of the characters from something like Snatch, removed the plot and just let them ham it up for a couple of hours this is what you'd get. Tom Hardy is great in both roles but the insane Ronnie steals the show. I don't get the criticism of it for being shallow or glorifying violence as there's nothing remotely deep or true to reality about it - it's just a proper romp of a movie.

Saw Everest today (2D obviously). Enjoyable stuff that captured the beauty and danger of the highest mountain on Earth (altitude I mean).

Rob should never have died. He should never have let the mailman persuade him to go to the summit. I know it's based on a true story so if that's what actually happened the guy should never have been running a company like that. Harsh maybe as he was portrayed as a sound guy but sentiment has no place in the Death Zone (the air is so thin that your body uses up more oxygen that it can take in, meaning that eventually you run out and die, thus the oxygen cannisters).

Scott also had no place running a company like that if he really did push himself like the film portrayed.

I can see why folk would want to climb Everest and it must be unbelievably amazing to do it and make all the pain worthwhile, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Not the sentimental late push up the mountain in the book/"real life"(Into Thin Air) written by the journalist who was portrayed. They miss their 2pm turnaround time but it's due (mainly, there are other factors) to all the companies bottlenecking at the Hillary step, rather than further down the mountain as portrayed in the movie. Was quite a bit ago I read it but I'm sure Scott doesn't just die of being an arsehole/Delhi belly. Also Beck actually let's someone worse off get in the helicopter at the end as they can only take one and genuinely believes he's going to die on the mountain only for the helicopter team to risk one more journey and get him out of there too. Great read, going to do a reread after seeing it actually.

Edited by Christophe

Schindlers list - 8.5/10.

Was bubbling , was angry , was happy. Such a wonderful film to finish on.

Unsure what to start watching now.

Currently my favourite film of all time. Amazing from start to finish.

Fiennes is superb, as are Neeson and Kingsley.

Not the sentimental late push up the mountain in the book/"real life"(Into Thin Air) written by the journalist who was portrayed. They miss their 2pm turnaround time but it's due (mainly, there are other factors) to all the companies bottlenecking at the Hillary step, rather than further down the mountain as portrayed in the movie. Was quite a bit ago I read it but I'm sure Scott doesn't just die of being an arsehole/Delhi belly. Also Beck actually let's someone worse off get in the helicopter at the end as they can only take one and genuinely believes he's going to die on the mountain only for the helicopter team to risk one more journey and get him out of there too. Great read, going to do a reread after seeing it actually.

Aye that sounds more likely. Obviously with it being a film they will make certain changes for storyline purposes, but interesting to hear what actually happened. Think I'll get the book.

Everest was pretty harrowing stuff tbh. I read that a load of people have said that Anatoly and his actions were fairly misrepresented in the book by Kronkauer (sp)

Yeah, I've read the arguments either way. He does spend a large chunk of the book ripping into him but...

he does claim he went ahead of everyone on the descent and was back alone at camp 4 when the storm hit, which is a bit unusual since he was a professional guide. He does say he went back up but he should have been with his clients in the first place.

Edited by Christophe

Yeah, I've read the arguments either way. He does spend a large chunk of the book ripping into him but...

he does claim he went ahead of everyone on the descent and was back alone at camp 4 when the storm hit, which is a bit unusual since he was a professional guide. He does say he went back up but he should have been with his clients in the first place.

He went back so he could be rested and prepared from a rescue attempt apparently

Edited by Mr. Brightside

He went back so he could be rested and prepared from a rescue attempt apparently

Yeah, not buying that

the author suggests he had to get out of dodge before shit went down because of his insistence in not using oxygen, which is fair enough if it's a personal choice/recreational climb...not so much when you're responsible for people's lifes

Ex-Machina 7/10

Really enjoyed this. Tonally it was very one dimensional though which didn't allow for much characterisation, the premise and exposition were foreboding from the start so there was no real surprises at the conclusion. There was a stone cold classic in there somewhere rather than the undoubtedly very good film it is.