What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

47 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

The Thing (1982)

One of my favourite films but hadn't watched it in a good while. The Thing monsters are equally gory, disgusting and fascinating. Considering it came in the early 80s, they hold up well for it's age. The paranoia and distrust between the group is great and all the characters are believable and interesting. MacReady is the main character but even he isn't your standard hero of the piece.

The Thing (2011)

Decided to rewatch this one after viewing the original. This is a prequel and actually ties in very well to the original film. It just isn't as good as the original and is more of a straight forward monster movie. It does build up some tension and distrust between the Norwegian and US crew but doesn't hit the heights of the original. The Thing monsters are CGI this time round and are ok for the most part. The last act is also pretty disappointing IMO. It is still worth a watch if you are a fan of the original.

Try watching the original, The Thing From Another World (1951) with James Arness as "The Thing"...no special effects as such, continuity errors galore and typical 50s sci-fi allegory of the threat of communism, but one of the best of its kind and one of the most famous last lines in cinema.

Primer (2004)...I must be into double figures watching it and it's still a total mindfuck. 

Here's the entire movie on youtube

and here's a 23 minute explanation

Edited by Arch Stanton

City 40 - Netflix

it's a Russian documentary on a closed city in Russia called Ozersk that wasn't even on acknowledged on a map till the mid 90's. It's apparently the most contaminated place on earth and the residents were exposed to five times the amount of radiation as those living around Chernobyl.

Decent watch 6/10

Here's an interview VICE done with the director of the documentary.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/inside-the-radioactive-city-russia-doesnt-want-you-to-know-about

Mr Church 9/10

Eddie Murphy plays a cook hired to tend for a sick woman and her little girl til her cancer gets the better of her. While this is scheduled to take 6 months the mother lives for years and even when she is gone, he looks after the girl throughout the rest of their lives together. Couldnt praise Murphy enough for this, a real standout performance and if anyone doesnt well up at points in this film, then they are made of stone

Thoroughly recommend it

Last night went to the last film of this year's Adelaide Film Festival which was "Gimme Danger", a Jim Jarmusch documentary about Iggy & the Stooges. If you're a fan of the Stooges then it's a must see. Mainly Iggy doing the talking but quite bit included from Scott Asheton, post stroke, Ron Asheton, James Williamson and some others. Go see it if you get the chance and enjoy.

On 31/10/2016 at 07:51, ShinobiDandy said:

Jason X (2001) /The Omen (1976) /A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) /Evil Dead (2013) /Halloween (1978)

Well it is Halloween after all. Probably a 9/10 weekend but gonna score it an 8 for the rookie error of watching Jason X, bloody hell it was bad!

You've truly put a turd in the punch-bowl including that in the list of excellent films (although I prefer the Evil Dead original to the remake by a long way).

The Shining

Flicking for a scary movie on Halloween, I settled on this as it was on Sky.  I haven't seen it in a few years and it was the shorter cut (just under two hours) but it's a really impressive film, even after all these years.  A lot of things that are kind of cliches in horror now (scary kids, long shots with little happening) are done so well in this film that it hasn't really aged.  I'd forgotten how long some of the scenes are and how unsettling they get - the REDRUM scene goes on far longer than I'd remembered and the scene with Jack in the bathroom is a lot more disturbing than I'd remembered, the naked woman who gets out the bath first looks odd, arms and legs too long?

It's also got immense performances - obviously Nicholson is superb, Shelley Duvall genuinely seems to be having a breakdown and Danny is played in a superbly natural way, nothing self-conscious about it.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

You've truly put a turd in the punch-bowl including that in the list of excellent films (although I prefer the Evil Dead original to the remake by a long way).

The Shining

Flicking for a scary movie on Halloween, I settled on this as it was on Sky.  I haven't seen it in a few years and it was the shorter cut (just under two hours) but it's a really impressive film, even after all these years.  A lot of things that are kind of cliches in horror now (scary kids, long shots with little happening) are done so well in this film that it hasn't really aged.  I'd forgotten how long some of the scenes are and how unsettling they get - the REDRUM scene goes on far longer than I'd remembered and the scene with Jack in the bathroom is a lot more disturbing than I'd remembered, the naked woman who gets out the bath first looks odd, arms and legs too long?

It's also got immense performances - obviously Nicholson is superb, Shelley Duvall genuinely seems to be having a breakdown and Danny is played in a superbly natural way, nothing self-conscious about it.

It was the only Jason film i hadnt seen...seemed there was a reason for that I just didnt know yet

DIG! 7/10

Dug (arf, arf!) this out the shelf after listening to the new BJM record this week. 

It holds up for me, still really funny and sad and frustrating at just how hard Anton will work to make life more difficult, how thin-skinned he is, how much of a content provider he is. Like when I first watched it, Mrs. C was like "yes but is the joke here that the Brian Jonestown Massacre are actually shit?" The sitar scene, the Matt Hollywood exit, the flounce off in Chicago, the ill-fated gig in LA, the drug bust in Georgia, it's a film full of great scenes to pad out some of the slightly overbearing talking heads. Joel always comes across very likeable, and this watch sort of crystallised more of the issue with the Dandy Warhols; they're voyeurs, they're well-read about squalor and rock history, but they can't actually commit to it, which is why in the final analysis they'll be considered a worse band.

Grizzly Man 8/10

Crackpot lives with bears, gets eaten shocker.

Incredibly beautiful, but slightly overlong retelling of the life of Timothy Tredwell, a self-appointed bear protector in Alaska. Mostly told with his own footage, much of which is amazing - either intentionally by getting really close to huge bears, or unintentionally as he does several Partridge-esque-to-cameras. I love Herzog but I found some of his interventions in this work a little overbearing, so what if you think nature is chaos, it's hardly central here. Still, engrossing and complicated; is Tredwell a well-meaning fruit, or a deranged and harmful idiot, or something much more complex? I'd go with the former - he made his bed, he lay in it, he knew the risks, he lived the life, he used his work to educate children. Best scene: bear fight.

Edited by Christophe