What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

11 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The worst film ever according to Ted Mosby.

I wouldn't disagree. Worst part is that I'd already seen it once before :shutup

Watched the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version this time, though, which was more entertaining. Both versions were better than the turdfest I saw first tonight, though - the Paris Hilton vehicle Bottoms Up. Words cannot express how poor that film was, made even worse by Hilton playing some kind of fantasy superhero version of herself that isn't a vacuous, racist shitbag  :yucky

Get Out

The only real negative to this was that it was a bit on the predictable side, but it didn't take away too much as it remained tense and gripping. There wasn't a comfortable moment from when the couple arrived at the mum and dad's house and things just got worse. This was helped by some creepy as f**k performances. So aye, I loved this.

8/10

10 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Get Out

The only real negative to this was that it was a bit on the predictable side, but it didn't take away too much as it remained tense and gripping. There wasn't a comfortable moment from when the couple arrived at the mum and dad's house and things just got worse. This was helped by some creepy as f**k performances. So aye, I loved this.

8/10

I agree. I felt a little bad for having negative thoughts about it because as a whole it was great. But predictable is right. Maybe a little too easy as well at the end? And while Mrs MSU vehemently disagrees, I still think some of the humour could've been dialled down. All that notwithstanding, it's a movie that's stayed with me this week and I've enjoyed discussing it at work and stuff. So it gets plenty right.

Get Out
8/10

The maid? I hated her, was uncomfortable whenever she was on screen.

(59-63)

News From Home 8/10

Slow, heartfelt epistolary film by the great Chantal Akerman

The Beaches of Agnes 7/10

Autobiographical work by Agnes Varda, like a big junk shop owned by an inscrutable old bat

Robinson In Ruins 5/10

Essay film about London and Oxfordshire, is a documentary but has has a fictional central character, an odd conceit and it only works fleetingly imo 

9/10

French/Algerian film from the late 60s about Greek politics, have completely mis-sold it on purpose there, it's really great, jazzy and bleak and complex, maybe a forerunner in certain stylistic ways to French Connection? 

Killer Mermaids 6/10

Has a 1* rating on Netflix but I didn't think it was that bad - some of the effects are pretty good. Calling a film Killer Mermaids though just meant you knew it was a monster flick from the off and the complaint that in almost all monster movies they are revealed first by a hand/foot/then eyes/head/total reveal stands. The ending was proper stoopid

Frank 8/10

Film about a bored guy who struggles to write music because he believes his nice and loving childhood and now humdrum life hasn't given him the chance to tap in to the deeper recesses of his mind to unlock true creativity. He sees a man trying to drown himself and discovers that it's the keyboard player of a band. He manages to join this band as the keyboard player, and what he thinks is a short tour of Ireland is in fact a session to record an album. Here he gets to know the band, including the eponymous Frank, an American guy who wears a giant paper mache head at all times.

He soon learns that they are pretty much mentalists. Through his recordings of various recording sessions and Twitter updates, the band get a cult following and are invited to play South by Southwest.

Very enjoyable film that at times is very funny. Great cast (Michael Fassbender, Dormhal Gleeson, Maggie Gynehall, Scoot McNairy) who are all brilliant. The film at times is a study in mental illness and at times studies the relationship between cult and mainstream popularity. The songs are actually pretty good as well.

The cast actually played the music live (which is why the cast includes two professional musicians). Maggie Gylenhall had to learn the theremin. Here's my favourite song from the film;

8 hours ago, Christophe said:

9/10

French/Algerian film from the late 60s about Greek politics, have completely mis-sold it on purpose there, it's really great, jazzy and bleak and complex, maybe a forerunner in certain stylistic ways to French Connection? 

I would say that's an accurate observation. Watched an interview with William Friedkin a while ago, where he mentioned Z as being one of his favourite films.

Captain Phillips.

The missus picked this on Netflix and I wasn't best pleased as I thought it was going to be just another by the numbers tense thriller. It was exactly that by and large but with Tom Hanks' acting it's hard to go wrong and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

7/10.