What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I've been movie daft the past few days. Watched, The Mule, Zero Dark Thirty, Stauber, Bad Times at the El Royale, Crazy Heart, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and both National Treasure films. I'll watch loads of different shit, as you can see. I didn't think I'd like Once upon a time in Hollywood but loved it. Crazy Heart was a special film too. Jeff Bridges was top notch. 

Just now, Lucas Hood said:

I've been movie daft the past few days. Watched, The Mule, Zero Dark Thirty, Stauber, Bad Times at the El Royale, Crazy Heart, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and both National Treasure films. I'll watch loads of different shit, as you can see. I didn't think I'd like Once upon a time in Hollywood but loved it. Crazy Heart was a special film too. Jeff Bridges was top notch. 

I've seen a few folk rate their choices, I'll rate mine as I listed them above. 

8.1, 7.7, 7.0, 8.6, 9.3, 9.2 and 7.0. National Treasures aren't great films, just enjoyable enough when rough. 

Summer of Sam

I'd be tempted to call this a forgotten masterpiece. The synopsis had never really grabbed me and it doesn't have great reviews but it was a real treat. Son of Sam (AKA the .44 Calibre Killer) has New York gripped by panic in the summer of 1977. The killer and the search for his is all incidental though. Instead we get a study on masculinity, repressed sexuality. The soundtrack is mainly funk and disco and there is the panic at the emergence of punk and the blurring of masculine and feminine stereotypes. 

Spike Lee does sweaty summers so well and the cast is rammed with sleazy wise guys you'll recognise from so many gangster films and shows.The local hoods decide that as the police can't catch the serial killer then they will do it. Friends find themselves set against each other. The music is great and like in early Lee films there's a strong female character who givers her man such incredible bollockings. 

Really not a serial killer film or crime thriller so don't go into it expecting Manhunter. Reminded me a bit of recent stuff like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Sky Atlantic's The Deuce crossed with Lee's own Do The Right Thing. Rammed with themes that still feel very relevant.

10/10  

Just got done watching 'Rear Window' for the gazillionth time. Probably my favourite Hitchcock film and that's a high bar. Great storyline, wonderful pacing and I don't think I would ever get tired of looking at Grace Kelly.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

A beautifully filmed, modern western directed by & starring Tommy Lee Jones about friendship, revenge, love & loss on the Texas/Mexico border.

Brilliant film  9/10

30 Days of Night (2007)

Horror set in the Alaskan boondocks, really like this film, plenty of tension, frights, the right amount of gore & it looks great too.

An underrated horror film 8/10

Dawn of The Dead (2004)

The best remake of G Romero's zombie films, a varied group of folk take refuge in a shopping mall, looking for a way to escape the undead hordes.

Enjoyable romp 8/10

7 hours ago, Silverton End said:

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

A beautifully filmed, modern western directed by & starring Tommy Lee Jones about friendship, revenge, love & loss on the Texas/Mexico border.

Brilliant film  9/10

30 Days of Night (2007)

Horror set in the Alaskan boondocks, really like this film, plenty of tension, frights, the right amount of gore & it looks great too.

An underrated horror film 8/10

Dawn of The Dead (2004)

The best remake of G Romero's zombie films, a varied group of folk take refuge in a shopping mall, looking for a way to escape the undead hordes.

Enjoyable romp 8/10

Saw that when it came out and remember it being way better than I was expecting. 

Black Panther - 3/10

I'm not a huge fan of superhero films but felt I had to watch this eventually due to the hype. Awful acting, fight scenes that were nothing special with modern CGI and compared to other Marvel films. If it wasn't such a woke film and hyped with a majority black cast then it would probably be slated. Basically Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman were the token whites in the film

On 11/07/2020 at 11:15, naegoodinthedark said:

JoJo Rabbit

Wonderful!

Incredibly funny and incredibly sad, but constantly changing. Beautifully shot with a great cast, especially the kids. Sam Rockwell brilliant as always.

9/10.

Been meaning to watch this. Watching clips on youtube the wee fat boy with the glasses is hillarious when talking about seeing a real Jew.

Been meaning to watch this. Watching clips on youtube the wee fat boy with the glasses is hillarious when talking about seeing a real Jew.
He's the star of the show. Some brilliant lines and delivered perfectly. He's starring in a Home Alone remake apparently.

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Saw that when it came out and remember it being way better than I was expecting. 

It really was. The opening twenty minutes or so are tremendous. They couldn't keep that level of quality up throughout, and there are some weird decisions later on (zombie baby, WTAF), but it's still a good film. Smart move not to just go for a straight remake of one of the best films of all time.

Sci-fighters

Ever wanted to watch a Canadian knock off Blade Runner where Rowdy Roddy Piper is a supercop who does what he wants but does it in a restrained way while he chases down Billy Drago, his ex-partner who via an alien virus is now a frothing at the mouth rapist who after that makes them explode?

Your answer is most likely, "no" but it exists.

It's not that bad, bizarrely. 

5.5/10

Roddy Piper had a surprisingly good film career, if you're into B-movies. They Live has been receiving the praise it deserves in recent years, and I hear Hell Comes to Frogtown is fun as well. I might need to see about having a Piper night.

8cb680bf1fb3ec6bdca6453d3b6c9ed96619e7d1

Sweet Country (2017)

Australian film set in Northern Territory in the 1920s which plays out like a Western. The cinematography is stunning and is emphasised by the lack of a musical score. A native farm hand kills a white settler in self defence and goes on the run before being caught and tried. At times brutal and blatantly racist it's a slow burner with an emotional ending.

8/10

13th on Netflix. Documentary about the prison industrial complex in the US and how it is basically set up to further marginalise and exclude African American people from society. Gives an excellent history lesson/backdrop to the BLM protests. Not just Republicans who have caused this and Clinton, and his policies, are a major factor.

Really excellent film and highly recommended.

Moonlight (2016) Written & Directed by Barry Jenkins. The experiences of a young African-American growing up in Miami and the difficulties of understanding identity and sexuality. Semi biographical on the early life of playwright Tarell Alvin McCraney. Well worth a viewing. Didn’t realise how many awards it had received after missing it first time round. Give it a go.