What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 18/12/2020 at 20:08, stanton said:

Gunfight at OK Corral .  Classic western with Kirk Douglas & Burt Lancaster in the lead roles of "Doc" Holliday and Wyatt Earp . Rhonda Fleming provides support  along with Denis Hopper ,Jack Elam ,Lee van Cleef and Star Trek's DeForest Kelly . The tension builds throughout the film and ends with the classic shootout finale. It may not be exactly historically correct but it's a movie not a documentary . Excellent score and great cinematography  too this has to be one of my favourite westerns 

I like it also but my favourite Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday movie remains Tombstone. 

Everybody is great in Tombstone, which makes it more impressive that Kilmer is a standout.

Tombstone really doesn't get enough praise. One of the small group of films that was so good that I only watched it once, in case a repeat viewing exposed flaws. See also: City of God.

Dazed and Confused. I've been watching it for 20 years, I've seen it probably between 75-100 times, I know every line. So good. 

Stop Making Sense. David Byrne is a later day Charlie Chaplin or Groucho Marx, total genius. I was considerate to my downstairs neighbours and just sang along rather than danced along which I occasionally do. 

47 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Everybody is great in Tombstone, which makes it more impressive that Kilmer is a standout.

Tombstone really doesn't get enough praise. One of the small group of films that was so good that I only watched it once, in case a repeat viewing exposed flaws. See also: City of God.

It rewards repeated viewing. 

The tenth time Val Kilmer says "I don't" is as good as the first. 

Edited by Detournement

Annual “about to watch It’s A Wonderful Life, the greatest fucking Christmas film of all time” post. My favourite Christmas tradition.

Merry Christmas you wonderful old Building & Loan [emoji7]

Mr Potter is the single most despicable c**t in the history of film. A truly, truly evil piece of shit. Would love to see George Bailey or Clarence kick his head in.

6 hours ago, Snafu said:

Watched three I've never seen before, Joker, Rango and 1917.

1917 is a good movie, not quite up there with the 1930's film All Quiet on the Western Front but certainly one of the best war films in a decade.

Anyone remember a TV series from the 80's called Anzacs?

ANZACS was on YouTube. I watched it a couple of years ago. It's good but it plays up to the Aussie Superman myth a wee bit too much for my liking. I like Paul Hogan but I doubt he stormed the German lines by himself or swatted down the Ludendorff Offensive single handed.

There are very few decent films or series about WW1. Trench warfare doesn't really lend itself to entertainment.

There's a series about Gallipoli on Amazon Prime that is worth a watch.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The invisible man.

Two levels to this film, you have the basic thriller action type film and also if you’ve been through narcissistic abuse it’s a great insight into how they operate. The surprise thing is incredibly accurate along with the stalking and getting others involved. One of the few films that gets it.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

The invisible man.

Two levels to this film, you have the basic thriller action type film and also if you’ve been through narcissistic abuse it’s a great insight into how they operate. The surprise thing is incredibly accurate along with the stalking and getting others involved. One of the few films that gets it.

Here's my review of The Invisible Man:

On 16/01/2017 at 16:59, killienick said:

Kubo and the two strings - 8/10

This is one of the best animated films I have ever seen. It is very dark, quite atmospheric and macabre, but very well executed. A young boy must locate a magical suit of armour in order to battle a menacing villain from another plain who murdered his father. The supernatural aspects of the film are mesmerising and perfect for the style of animation. I've only watched this once and may be inclined to raise my rating to a 9 - it's that good.

First saw this with my daughter on Boxing Day 2016. We had the cinema to ourselves and I thoroughly enjoyed the pacing, the style and the story. 
Watched it again this afternoon with the rest of the family having recorded it a few weeks back on Film 4 and can honestly say it easily survives the transition to the small screen. 
The only reason I can think why this film isn’t more widely appreciated is that people see Matthew McConaughey’s name in the cast and discard it as an option. 
8.5/10