Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 01/08/2023 at 17:32, ICTChris said:

My friend's novel has been longlisted for the Booker Prize.

https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/prize-years/2023

You can read about it here -https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/books/in-ascension

Im interested to read that after reading a review in the guardian earlier in year, then several others that highly rated it. Still no paperback version so im waiting for that

Edited by ScotiaNostra

Fire and Blood by George RR Martin.

Jesus wept, this is awful. Like wading through treacle. 

The king had two sons and two daughters. The eldest son married the eldest daughter, and the youngest son married the youngest daughter. Then they fought, leaving just one son left.

He became king, and had two sons and two daughters. The eldest son married the eldest daughter, and the youngest son married the youngest daughter. Then they fought, leaving just one son left.

He became king, and had two sons and two daughters....

On fucking repeat. The middle third of the book was a bit better but the whole writing style of this was just boring. 

The Cliff House by Christopher Brookmyre.

I'm a fan and I think I've read them all.  

This was ok.  As ever, it's cleverly and intricately plotted and developed.  I think his earlier work tended to have more zeitgeisty things to say though, and they were also generally funnier.

I'll probably read future books of his because I always enjoy them well enough.  It feels like a while since he's produced a real gem though.

I guess because its very difficult to write a book in the first place so most authors end up writing the same book several times which gets a  bit boring after a while,

Which leads to a good question what authors have written completely different styles of books?

another question sorry 🙏 

I recently finished "who they was" by Gabriel Krauze which I thought was very good, Ive been trying to find another book thats set in London and is a bit gritty. I have read John Kings books from 90s like headhunters etc

Any recommendations, something descriptively set in London with a good story a bit gritty bit doesnt have to be if well written but something brings London to life a bit in the reading?

47 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

I guess because its very difficult to write a book in the first place so most authors end up writing the same book several times which gets a  bit boring after a while,

Which leads to a good question what authors have written completely different styles of books?

Iain Banks springs to mind. 

On 15/08/2023 at 14:03, ScotiaNostra said:

another question sorry 🙏 

I recently finished "who they was" by Gabriel Krauze which I thought was very good, Ive been trying to find another book thats set in London and is a bit gritty. I have read John Kings books from 90s like headhunters etc

Any recommendations, something descriptively set in London with a good story a bit gritty bit doesnt have to be if well written but something brings London to life a bit in the reading?

thought Id ask again(last time) if anyone can recommend a good book set in London, for the size of city it seems to be lacking 

13 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

thought Id ask again(last time) if anyone can recommend a good book set in London, for the size of city it seems to be lacking 

The Inspector Carlyle series by James Craig are good. 

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have never read the LOTR/The Hobbit books despite enjoying the movies years ago.

Are the books worth reading?

Far superior...

just put aside plenty of time..

Hobbit first..

I've finally took the plunge and presently listening to a Bob Mortimer @and away' audiobook,

strange feeling and TBH missing the hard copy...

4 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

Far superior...

just put aside plenty of time..

Hobbit first..

I've finally took the plunge and presently listening to a Bob Mortimer @and away' audiobook,

strange feeling and TBH missing the hard copy...

Yeah they're a bit bulky.

I did try Audible but it's just not the same as actually reading.

I can understand the appeal and convenience of being able to listen to books while going about your day without actually needing to  find the time to sit and read, but that wasn't for me. Reading is something I enjoy doing and I felt that audiobooks took that aspect away.

Edited by Richey Edwards

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yeah they're a bit bulky.

I did try Audible but it's just not the same as actually reading.

I probably read the LOTW book every couple of years..

I find around 20 mins a time with any book ...

the films were good but missed a lot of the backstories..

Enjoy.....

10 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

I probably read the LOTW book every couple of years..

I find around 20 mins a time with any book ...

the films were good but missed a lot of the backstories..

Enjoy.....

Yeah, I've heard that the films missed out a lot of characters and plot aspects.

Just now, mathematics said:

Do you like reading descriptions of trees? If so, yes.

What kind of trees?