Last Book You Read....

H_B

I probably consume more audiobooks than paper books these days. I started listening to them in the first lockdown when out walking, as I find walking pretty tedious, and they've been a permanent fixture since.

I learned quite quickly that a narrator can make or break an audiobook, so always listen to a sample first. The Ambros Parry books are excellent on audiobook as the narrators are terrific. 

I just finished Liz Cheney's book about the attack on the US capital and subsequent investigation. Whilst there is a bit of self aggrandising about how 'freedom loving' she is and some vomit inducing stuff about the US being 'the greatest country that god ever created' and other such shite, it was still an interesting - and terrifying - read (listen). 

Edited by houston_bud

11 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

Sounds worse than the Martin ONeill book.

I'm still reeling from the revelation that MO'N is a bit bitter about some things.

Doesn't seem the type to dwell.

8 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

At least half of the books I consume are audio. I listen in the car, and I do a fair bit of driving so It's a great way to get through books. Obviously helps when the narrator is good, and I'm particularly fond of full cast ones.

Any particularly good full cast ones?

18 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I probably consume more audiobooks than paper books these days. I started listening to them in the first lockdown when out walking, as I find walking pretty tedious, and they've been a permanent fixture since.

I learned quite quickly that a narrator can make or break an audiobook, so always listen to a sample first. The Ambros Parry books are excellent on audiobook as the narrators are terrific. 

I just finished Liz Cheney's book about the attack on the US capital and subsequent investigation. Whilst there is a bit of self aggrandising about how 'freedom loving' she is and some vomit inducing stuff about the US being 'the greatest country that god ever created' and other such shite, it was still an interesting - and terrifying - read (listen). 

I read a book about the Trump presidency called The Divider last year. The thought of that clown being in power again is terrifying. 

The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbö Abe. Japanese boy gets stuck down a sandy hole with a wifey. If you don’t like sand or holes, probably not for you. Described as Kafaesque but thankfully more coherent than Franz’s stuff. Enjoyable writing style.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody use Goodreads or the like to track their reading? Any recommendations?

I use The Storygraph; assume most of these apps are the same but I’d saw some recommendations for it and downloaded it. Let’s you track what you’re reading, gives recommendations etc. 

26 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

I use The Storygraph; assume most of these apps are the same but I’d saw some recommendations for it and downloaded it. Let’s you track what you’re reading, gives recommendations etc. 

aye saw that one on a list and it looked quite good.

Napoleon Symphony - Anthony Burgess. 

Don't know classical music well enough to have "got" this properly, but did get the general gist. It's not exactly a narrative. 

I've read a couple of Burgess' historical novels before and enjoyed them (not as much as his sci fi though) but this was a different proposition. The opening part (or movement) is relatively straight then it goes a little bit impressionistic for the remainder. 

Very entertaining. 

Haven't read much of his in the last 20 years but will be looking to pick up again. 

On 25/02/2024 at 07:59, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody use Goodreads or the like to track their reading? Any recommendations?

I use goodreads.

I recommend researching how best to get to championship grounds.

Edited by mathematics
Slepping