NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

23 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Seems like Stafford has been around forever  but he's only a few months older than Russell Wilson. Good time for a break from Detroit for him. I wouldn't be particularly happy about him going to the Santa Clara franchise. A massive upgrade on Jimmy Garoppolo. Not got much to chuck it at for know but that isn't a major issue.

He's probably going somewhere with a semblance of pass protection. Somewhere like the Broncos would be exciting for him on paper as they've got a promising receiving corp.

If I had a million greenies you could have them all, purely for being just about the first correct use of 'receiving corp' I've ever seen on the internet.

'Receiving core/linebacking core' makes my teeth tingle.

Strictly speaking, it should be 'corps' though :P

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 24/01/2021 at 08:21, BukyOHare said:

The new GM clearly sees things differently from me but when you have a very good player in Stafford on the team you surely build around him? 

The draft offers no guarantees of success when it comes to qb's in the first round, you have a number of years left in Stafford, he's already got a connection with Golladay and Hockenson to name but two, in short, I think its a huge risk to rip it up and start again. 

For all the Lions' failings over the past few seasons, I don't have Stafford as the cause. Give him protection and some weapons and Stafford is an above average qb. 

The Lions have had a recent history of head scratching decisions this could be the biggest of all of them. 

Completely agree. But I'm not sure Stafford wants to go through another attempted rebuild. He doesn't have the ability to force a trade, so I guess the Lions are saying they don't want to lose him for nothing in free agency in two years?

3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Watson has officially requested a trade.

Maybe he shouldn't have signed an extension for a boatload of money five months ago?

Be interesting to see if the Texans cave on this. They shouldn't, as he's a top-5 QB, has no leverage and Houston has contract control over him through 2028.