NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

32 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/65275430

Jesus suffering f**k they are still plugging this absolute fantasy nonsense of London Franchises and four team NFL European Divisions. 

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’d actively want the “British Bulldogs” to go 0-17

Of course they are, and will continue to. The fact that plenty of people would hate the London Monarchs or whatever they call them, is irrelevant. What you would have is every other NFL team visiting to play them about once every four or five years…and that would also mean every other NFL team would visit London at least once every eight to ten years. That’s a recipe to print money for the NFL.

I expect the grand NFL plan is likely a team in London, Frankfort (or Berlin), Madrid and Paris. The wildcard is Vienna, since three teams (KC, the Patsies and the Bucs) have marketing setups in Austria versus one team in France (Aint’s) and two in Spain (da Bears, Fins). Of course, long term Ireland (Jags and Steelers…and the Steelers also have NI), Switzerland (same as Austria), China (Rams), Australia (Rams and Eagles), Brazil (Fins), New Zealand (Rams and Eagles) and maybe even Ghana (Eagles) are all considerations…and the laundry list of teams marketing in Mexico makes that a no brainer.

The NFL figures, long-term, to spread American Football all over and make it a truly worldwide game. Perhaps have a Pacific Division using maybe Beijing, Sydney, Auckland and Tokyo…an Asian division with perhaps Mumbai, Karachi, Jeddah and Tehran…an African division with teams like Accra, Cairo, Lagos and Algiers…two or three European divisions such as Madrid, Paris, London and Dublin in one, Frankfort, Berlin, Geneva and Oslo in another, and say Warsaw, Vienna, Budapest and Rome…and a Central/South American division with two teams in Mexico City plus São Paulo and Buenos Aires.

"long term".

Well they need to start getting a finger out, because it's exactly the same tune they've been singing since Andrew Luck's old man was the chief propagandist 25+ years ago, and absolutely nothing has moved since.

It's just the same old carrot on a stick routine to keep NFL-hungry fans turning up to the overseas games, buying vastly over-priced merchandise and shitey beer, at a rate that the poverty franchises in the US can't match. 

There is no interest in the ownership for diluting the value of their product as it is, let alone doing so by embarking on some bird-brained scheme to expand with multiple new franchises outside the US in one fell-swoop that could well go tits up in very short order and make the Jags predicament look like a holiday cruise. NFL owners love money and profit, that much is true, but it's for that exact reason that they will never sanction something as ridiculously out of character as a four team European expansion. Everyone is well aware of this, apart from, it seems, the idiot UK media who continually regurgitate any old shite that NFL Europe feeds them.

IIRC the owners voted down the NFL's original London series proposal 29-3, which sent the league scurrying off to revise their merchandising revenue forecasts for the games and re-pitch it as a pure profit-making venture. Only then was it passed through gritted teeth because so many of the owners who couldn't make any money at their own home games were desperately pressuring the league to ensure it went ahead. Even now there are still lapses by some of the more prominent owners that betray just how hostile they are to the whole concept. Given that they can't expand into Canada, the one non-US place where there wouldn't be the same logistical issues and offers US based staff and players some semblance of a life not too different to that in the US, and the fact that the US market itself still has a few far less risky prospective host cities, I have no idea how they plan to go about convincing existing ownership that they could seriously attract multiple ownership candidates for non-US based franchises given the projected costs of buying your way into the NFL as an expansion AND with the obvious added risk of basing that in Europe to boot.

At best, the only way I could see a European franchise getting off the ground is if it was a league-owned venture with the League itself footing the financial risk and taking the hit if, and likely when it fails, and that is in itself a total non-starter because of ownership rules and the obvious issues around impartiality and anti-trust. Pulling in a huge crowd of mostly neutrals two or three times a season is an entirely different prospect to hosting a viable full-time franchise, and as well as the London series is doing, the historical evidence would tend to suggest that when the "one-off" becomes something more sustained, the attraction and interest tends to wane somewhat. It's fine for people to travel from all over the UK to see two teams they don't really care about play because of the spectacle, but I don't think it's credible to suggest they'll do that eight or nine times a season to watch the same expansion franchise, not given the cost.

Anyway, the NFL obviously knows it's a totally different proposition and wholly unrealistic for a whole host of reasons I haven't even gone into (least of which is the fact the NFL's business model is incompatible with EU law), but they'll keep churning out the same shite about London Franchises year after year, decade after decade, provided it keeps the churn of bums on seats and jersey sales going.

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/65275430

Jesus suffering f**k they are still plugging this absolute fantasy nonsense of London Franchises and four team NFL European Divisions. 

I'd quite like an NFL team in London tbh, more games that are easily accessible? Absolute win. 

Chances are I'd want them to do well aswell, my reasons for supporting the Commanders are ore tenuous. If I was an NFL fan in America I'd be dead against it. As an NFL fan in the UK though? Aye, gies it. 

45 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

A Mexican team is the only likely chance of a team outside the US with it being a re-location of an existing team probably the Jags.

Even then, would you want to live in Mexico when you are a high profile, wealthy public personality? 

Not for me, and I certainly wouldn't relocate my entire family there. 

Granted, there is a disparity from one region in Mexico to the next, but people seem to forget that the NFL is a US league, full of US born and based players, with franchises coached and staffed by US citizens. When I declare for the NFL Draft and the expansion Mexico City Gangbangers take me 1st overall, first thing I'm doing is making it absolutely fucking clear that I will never pull on that jersey, so they should be trading me ASAP.

26 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Even then, would you want to live in Mexico when you are a high profile, wealthy public personality? 

Not for me, and I certainly wouldn't relocate my entire family there. 

Granted, there is a disparity from one region in Mexico to the next, but people seem to forget that the NFL is a US league, full of US born and based players, with franchises coached and staffed by US citizens. When I declare for the NFL Draft and the expansion Mexico City Gangbangers take me 1st overall, first thing I'm doing is making it absolutely fucking clear that I will never pull on that jersey, so they should be trading me ASAP.

Hi John Elway, hiya pal 👋 

In a minority maybe, but I'd be happy for a British team to do well so long as:

1. They were an expansion team so didn't steal someone's team.

2. The name wasn't any lickspittle shite like Royals or Monarchs.

Obviously, I wouldn't support them against Da Bears, unless it was past the third week of the season and we were already in tanking for draft picks mode.

I don't support a London Super Bowl, though. It's hard enough for fans to get tickets already without the extra inconvenience for thousands of fans having to get passports at two weeks' notice (given that most Americans don't have passports).

I suspect that London will be used like Los Angeles was for a few years, as leverage for teams trying to get local governments to give them more cash for stadium redevelopments under threat of relocation. I think London will eventually get a team but not before 2030.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Been down in London and, trying to avoid hearing the scores of the two late Sky games which I was recording at home, haven’t been reading anything about the NFL. Have therefore managed to avoid hearing any new ‘London franchise’ pish. I get why they peddled the ‘oh London could support two teams!’ shite back in the day. By back in the day, I mean when the International Series was new/newish, and to market it, they had Fan Festivals in Trafalgar Square or took over Regent Street, had pre-game bands on, and other fluff & razzle dazzle. Pushing the ‘London franchise’ line got headlines, attracted interest and was just part of the marketing schtick. IMHO. I am absolutely convinced that Neil Reynolds, as main anchor of the NFLs UK prime broadcast partner, Sky, was primed by the NFL front office, probably directly through Goodell himself, to push that party line. I am also convinced that Reynolds knows fine well the ‘London franchise’ talk is nonsense.

Just my opinion, but here’s my view on the NFL’s ‘grand plan’ for the International Series. Many of their US TV markets were saturated. They realise they are the only country in the world playing their sport to such a high professional level. They look at ‘soccer’ and see the World Cup, European Championships, African Cup of Nations, Copa Libertadores, Champions League, English Premier League, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga…. could go on all day. Below those ‘big ticket’ competitions, there’s tons more good standard ‘soccer’ competitions in multiple global locations. In American football, the NFL are it. There’s not even promotion and relegation domestically, no ‘Championship teams’ lying in wait. Their plan is to take their product, their 32 team product, and push it outwith their own borders. I don’t think their sole ambition is to rake in worldwide TV revenue and merchandise sales, although that is clearly a major goal. With things like the NFL Academy, and player pathway programme, and other ‘grassroots’ initiatives, I reckon they are thinking long term with those.

As far as I’m aware, in the USA, more and more parents are shying away from their kids playing American Football for safety reasons, and they play safer sports… like our football. The NFL need to widen their catchment area, and, in time, access good talent from goodness knows where. We’ve already seen a few Brits, Germans, etc, make it right through to the NFL already. Imagine where they could be in another thirty years or more in that regard. 

IMHO, there will never be a London franchise, much less an overseas division, or conference. There will be 32 teams, only based in the USA. The Super Bowl will only be played in the USA. In time, there may be some sort of recognisable domestic leagues starting up in the UK, Germany, wherever. Maybe they will play each other in a European competition. These ‘foreign leagues’ will be the NFLs worldwide ‘feeder divisions’. The cream of the crop will make it across to the NFL proper. In more numbers than now. The younger ones will get scholarships. The NFL will increase their ‘catchment area’ massively. The current regular season ‘17th game’ will be their touring circus. That’s it. There will be no London Jaguars, or Monarchs, or whatever bollocks moniker they might come up with. Spitfires, probably.

Teams will still move around the USA though. If there was to be any expansion of any sort, it’ll be there. In San Diego, or St Louis, or, at a push, Toronto or Montreal. Even then.

IMHO. He added. Again. 😄

Edited by pozbaird

I just encountered a stat that suggests NYG QB Daniel Jones has been sacked 33 times so far this season, and Washington's Sam Howell 34 times.

Excuse the language, but what the absolute f**k?

Has nobody explained to either of these franchises that you can use this thing called an OL to block incoming pass rushers?

57 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I just encountered a stat that suggests NYG QB Daniel Jones has been sacked 33 times so far this season, and Washington's Sam Howell 34 times.

Excuse the language, but what the absolute f**k?

Has nobody explained to either of these franchises that you can use this thing called an OL to block incoming pass rushers?

Did you not watch our game against the Seahawks? 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Did you not watch our game against the Seahawks? 

Nope, but the rate of 5+ sacks per game is absolutely obscene.

I can remember watching David Carr getting smashed black and blue in the Texans' expansion season, but NYG and WAS are on course to top that.

21 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nope, but the rate of 5+ sacks per game is absolutely obscene.

I can remember watching David Carr getting smashed black and blue in the Texans' expansion season, but NYG and WAS are on course to top that.

I think he was sacked 8 times that night