NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Three first round picks for the guys. Ugh. I still think there could be a player there but he's not going to get the game time to show it with Purdy already showing more than Lance. Feel for the kid. He's been incredibly unlucky and the Niners top brass are the ones to blame here.

48 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Let’s see what Wink can do with him 

Well if he manages to turn it around and start looking like an NFL Safety,  he should be pretty cheap to re-sign because the 5th year option is out of the window so he doesn't really have a lot of bargaining power. Can't see it myself, because he's looked completely lost whenever I've seen him play, but you might as well take a punt on a player if it's just a 7th you are giving up and you can easily afford the salary for a year.

3 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Well if he manages to turn it around and start looking like an NFL Safety,  he should be pretty cheap to re-sign because the 5th year option is out of the window so he doesn't really have a lot of bargaining power. Can't see it myself, because he's looked completely lost whenever I've seen him play, but you might as well take a punt on a player if it's just a 7th you are giving up and you can easily afford the salary for a year.

Can be used in some packages at linebacker as well. He seems worth the punt IMO. 

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Can be used in some packages at linebacker as well. He seems worth the punt IMO. 

Yeah, in a perfect world he'd be a box safety that can play LB on passing downs the way Derwin James does, but so far he's been terrible in coverage at S and gets trampled playing LB on early downs, so he's got a lot of work to do. Typical tweener player who doesn't really fit into any archetype, but the problem is some coaches fall in love with guys like that because they envision them as 'do it all' players, when in reality you are often far better off just getting one guy to do one thing and another guy to do another.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

JFC. What an ugly chapter this has been for the Niners. At least they've offloaded some of his contract which can go into a deal for Bosa. 

The signs have been there for a,while, but we can now officially call it a huge bust, gave up 3 first round picks to trade up for him and have now pulled the plug after 4 starts. Obviously the injuries haven't helped but it was a strange choice to pick him right from the start, and the 49ers had 12th pick that year and might have got him there anyway as it's debatable if anyone else picks him that high up.

I will say that at least the Niners decided to cut bait early rather than try and force it to work.  It was an aggressive move, but one that didn’t play out.  Injuries were unfortunate.  I’d rather this than a passive front office.   And if you are going to have a go at the Niners for this, the Purdy draft at least partly balances it out. 

It's a mess all around. 9'ers clearly believe Purdy is the real deal, but even if he flounders you could make the case that Lance was showing no signs of taking up the mantle in any case, so it was pointless to keep him around just in case Purdy doesn't work out and deal with the inevitable circus that would involve. 

It was a bit of a luxury pick for SF, hence why nobody is going to be on the chopping block for the cock-up. Chargers had a few draft picks like that in the mid 2000's when they had a loaded roster but couldn't get over the hump. 

So far as the trade itself goes; I think there's no real winner. Dallas gets a guy with potentially big upside and 2 years of control, but a 4th is more than I would have paid for a guy who has shown nothing much, but then if I'm SF I'm also looking at my new 4th rounder and wondering if I'm fortunate to have that for dispensing with a potential headache that I spent 3 1st rounders on. I suppose that there is the possibility Dak gets injured again, Lance develops away from the QB circus in SF, and a couple of years from now the Cowboys look like geniuses for picking him up on the cheap, but I don't think that's likely. 

I hope Purdy succeeds, but I still have a nagging feeling that in a year or two from now SF might well still be in QB purgatory. Come on down Kirk Cousins :lol:

Good deal all round really. 9ers were right to be aggressive in going after a QB when they did, unfortunately didn't work out, but that's the draft for you.

Purdy will be a top 5 QB this season (bad injury luck excluded), and the 9ers must have one of the best records of draft picks outside the 1st round in the league. So many exceptional talents in the squad from lower rounds. Pity their 1st round hit/bust ratio is only about 50/50.

Got to get this Bosa deal wrapped up asap.

38 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Will Lance be significant competition for Dak or will he mostly be riding the bench? I can only assume the latter barring injuries.

He'll be #3 behind Cooper Rush, so he'll have to threaten Rush's job before Dak needs to worry about him.