NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Yip. Not a single acknowledgement from any of them they play what is universally accepted as the simplest, easiest to learn position on the entire roster, hence the number of rookie RB's who come into the NFL and tear the place up. Great RB's are fun to watch, their bodies take a beating, but it simply is not a value position in the modern NFL and it's absolutely correct that even the better Kickers get more money.

18 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

No reason at all why that should be a "throwback". It should always have just been their standard uniform.

Agreed. Much better than what they’ve got the now. My Mrs is a Seahawks “fan” so up try pick her up a knockoff one of these 

Going to be an interesting few years in that division with Lawrence now the undoubted lead QB in the South and the other teams' recent draftees looking to catch up. I've said before I have enormous doubts about Richardson and Levis reminds me a lot of Carson Wentz, I also think CJ Stroud could well flame out completely, but I doubt all three fail entirely so it'll be a good watch seeing who steps up.

Got to admit, this doesn't sit right with me at all. Fair enough, it is a contiguous franchise, but it's more akin to the Ravens than it is the Browns. The franchise bailed on Houston, moved to a different State, changed their name, changed their uniform, did everything they could to divest themselves of the Oilers identity, and never looked back. It sticks in the craw a bit that they can wheel this out as a money-making exercise, yet the Ravens are considered a 'new' franchise and wouldn't dare mention the Browns, let alone ape them.

I wonder how NFL fans in Houston feel about this? They have the Texans to placate them, but I'd imagine there's still a lot of lingering resentment towards the Titans franchise. I know I just don't feel the same about the Chargers since they left SD, and if for some reason the NFL ever goes back to SD, I'd be of a mind that the new franchise should really be given the identity and history of the franchise currently playing in LA. The Chargers spent one season in LA prior to 2017, it's SD's franchise, not LA's.

I get what you're saying, but the Oilers had much better uniforms and some amazing players (like Warren Moon).

Just think it's a much better look than the Titans uniforms.

Seahawks new uniforms are also far superior to the grey/green revulsion they've been wearing.

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:

I get what you're saying, but the Oilers had much better uniforms and some amazing players (like Warren Moon).

Just think it's a much better look than the Titans uniforms.

Seahawks new uniforms are also far superior to the grey/green revulsion they've been wearing.

Undoubtedly yes, I fully agree about the respective merits of the unis, but my point is solely that I'm uncomfortable with the Titans actually being permitted to use the Oilers' image in this way. 

Just for clarity's sake - My personal favourite Chargers uni will always be the 1990-2006 style dark blue. It's synonymous with SD, and for that reason I would be uncomfortable seeing the team play in it while in LA. It should stay an SD 'thing', and that's kinda how I feel about Tennessee and the Oilers image. As much as I'd love to see the Chargers play in the 90's unis again, I'm glad they opted to go 'back' to a uni more akin to something they did actually play in when they originally were in LA. I'm not overly fond of the modern versions of the 'powder' blue Chargers unis. The genuine throwback and the originals themselves are cracking, but that is something that is sacrosanct for me, so it's right and proper the current uni is not a direct replica, and the genuine throwback is something that is only ever worn once in a blue moon. 

To me what the league is doing with the endless 'throwback' nonsense just cheapens and diminishes the legacies of the originals. Again, I recognise that the 'Titans' franchise move was nowhere near as underhand and acrimonious as the Browns -> Ravens, but still, the franchise itself was only too happy to disassociate itself from everything 'Houston Oilers' at the time, so this stinks a bit of revisionism and mercenary money-making, and not 'honouring' the past or whatever bullshit line they will trot out.

Oddly enough, I would be a bit less uncomfortable if the Texans trotted out in an Oilers throwback, because at least some fans in Houston might appreciate it, and the 'Oilers' image has never, at any point, had any meaningful association with Tennessee. In the two seasons the franchise actually operated as the 'Tennessee Oilers' it was against the backdrop of them openly planning a move to a new image, so that the 'Oilers' legacy could be left where it belonged.  In MLB the Detroit Tigers played the other night wearing the uniform of the Detroit Stars, a Negro League team, so it's clear that in some sports people do have a grasp on why things like local ties and residual memories are far more important than just who officially owns the historical records. To me, what's going on isn't all that different to if the Ravens decided to run out in Cleveland wearing Brown jerseys and an Orange helmet. It's a bit of a slap in the face to legacy fans in Houston.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 24/07/2023 at 02:23, Boo Khaki said:

Got to admit, this doesn't sit right with me at all. Fair enough, it is a contiguous franchise, but it's more akin to the Ravens than it is the Browns. The franchise bailed on Houston, moved to a different State, changed their name, changed their uniform, did everything they could to divest themselves of the Oilers identity, and never looked back. It sticks in the craw a bit that they can wheel this out as a money-making exercise, yet the Ravens are considered a 'new' franchise and wouldn't dare mention the Browns, let alone ape them.

I wonder how NFL fans in Houston feel about this? They have the Texans to placate them, but I'd imagine there's still a lot of lingering resentment towards the Titans franchise. I know I just don't feel the same about the Chargers since they left SD, and if for some reason the NFL ever goes back to SD, I'd be of a mind that the new franchise should really be given the identity and history of the franchise currently playing in LA. The Chargers spent one season in LA prior to 2017, it's SD's franchise, not LA's.

I’m going to Tennessee Titans v Baltimore Ravens at Tottenham this year - the ‘half and half’ scarf sellers will be fcuked in the head if they read P&B. 😎

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Saquon & the Giants agree to a 1 year, $11 million deal. 

Can’t wait to go through this drama again next offseason 🙁

Haven't really been paying much attention tbh, but was Barkley bitching in the media about playing on the Tag or something? That's the only reason I can see to give him a deal that pays him more than the Tag price. Fair enough, it means he can't sit out camp or whatever, but that really shouldn't be an issue for vet RB's anyway. Probably do them some good if anything.