NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Haven't really been paying much attention tbh, but was Barkley bitching in the media about playing on the Tag or something? That's the only reason I can see to give him a deal that pays him more than the Tag price. Fair enough, it means he can't sit out camp or whatever, but that really shouldn't be an issue for vet RB's anyway. Probably do them some good if anything.

To be fair all RBs are bitching about their pay just now. 

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

To be fair all RBs are bitching about their pay just now. 

Aye, I'm just saying that this makes no sense for NYG financially, unless they are concerned about the player happiness aspect, and intend to negotiate a longer deal with him next season.

19 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Aye, I'm just saying that this makes no sense for NYG financially, unless they are concerned about the player happiness aspect, and intend to negotiate a longer deal with him next season.

I’d imagine that’s exactly why they’ve done it. It’s also been announced that there isn’t a “non franchise tag” clause  in the deal so we could franchise him again next season. 

I wish reporters could grasp the difference between a 'contract' and an 'extension'. It's 262.5m over the next 7 years, not 5. He's going to earn about 42.3 million on average over the next 7, meaning he's nowhere near the 'highest paid QB'. Lamar's deal was a 5 year contract signed as a FA. He's on 50million a year.

Sean Payton saying what we all saw last year....

Incredibly candid comments from #Broncos HC Sean Payton to

! “Everything I heard about last season, we’re doing the opposite.” On what happened last year: “There’s so much dirt around that. There’s 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms. The offense. I don’t know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn’t just Russell. He didn’t just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn’t get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.” “It doesn’t happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed,” Payton said. “And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much (expletive) time trying to win the offseason – the PR, the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff. We’re not doing any of that.” “It might have been one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL. That’s how bad it was.”

edit: the whole article  https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2023/07/27/sean-payton-denver-broncos-russell-wilson-blame-nathaniel-hackett/70470187007/

Edited by steelmen

Wilson's biggest issue is that he can't see, and never has been able to see, the short and intermediate middle of the field. A change of coaching regime alters nothing about that. The Seahawks masked it for years by adapting the scheme so that he practically never had to scan that part of the field, but it still limits him as a QB, and I think people who are under the impression Payton is going to have Wilson looking like prime Drew Brees are in for a bit of a shock.

I can't see it being as bad as last season, especially the first half, but what happened last season was exactly why I was in fits of laughter when the Broncos sold the farm to acquire Wilson. His salary is irrelevant, he has never been anything close to an elite passer, so giving that much up to acquire him and then being shocked that he looked and performed like nothing remotely close to an elite level QB is a bit puzzling.

Before we signed Wilson, i couldn't stand him off the field and thought he was over rated on it. 

I still hold those beliefs but i also believe he was nowhere near as bad as he was last year. He does need to shoulder a lot of the blame for last year, Hackett was incompetent and Wilson took advantage of it to get what he wanted.

This year I am sure will be different, we know who is in charge and,  like Pete Carroll, Payton will have a plan around Wilson's strengths and a way round his weaknesses. My concern is we seem very light in the RB room. a lot of trust being put on player coming back from a serious leg injury and we are going to need to run the ball to have any success.

If Payton is humble enough to realise that trying to have Wilson run something akin to the schemes he ran in NO is a recipe for disaster, then Wilson should be ok, provided they go back to what worked up in Seattle, i.e. the run game does all the short/middle work, and you let Wilson roll-out, get him outside the pocket, and then go from there.

I do agree with most of what he says re: the shitty coaching job, but then I also think Hackett was kinda thrown under the bus a bit to mask the fact that Front Office were also hugely culpable.

I know what incompetent coaching looks like, believe me, I've watched plenty of it down the years being a Chargers fan, and yes, the Broncos September/October 2022 had all the hallmarks of an HC completely out of his depth, and a circus going on behind the scenes. It's not in doubt that Payton is a competent HC, so I don't think we'll see any repeat of that nonsense, but I am curious to see how he gets on without a genuine H.O.F calibre passer under C. The final season + with Brees suffering noodle-arm and then what came immediately after weren't particularly pretty.

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Top class shithousery from the Titans @Boo Khaki.

They are wearing the Oilers uniform against the Texans...

Would be worse if they'd chosen to wear it for the road game in Houston, but still, as much as I don't believe in 'karma' these things do have a nasty habit of turning round to bite you on the arse.