NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

2 hours ago, Shipa said:

Quick question.

HOF game tonight/ early morning, never watched it before. Is it a normally a decent game, worth staying up for, or more along lines of the pro-bowl where no-one's really bothered?

In terms of excitement it will be like going to watch Man United play Lyon at Murrayfield.

Did Brady seriously say something in that video about him "being the underdog"? Really? Tom Brady? Once of the 6 time Superbowl winning New England Patriots? A team that dominated the AFC/NFL for almost 20 years!?

On 05/08/2023 at 01:19, Swarley said:

Did Brady seriously say something in that video about him "being the underdog"? Really? Tom Brady? Once of the 6 time Superbowl winning New England Patriots? A team that dominated the AFC/NFL for almost 20 years!?

so much of an underdog he had to cheat to win games, just like his head coach

3 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

maybe just me but Sean Payton comes across as a complete dinosaur of a man

Well IIRC Greg Williams was "fired" (he wasn't really, his contract was up) as Payton's DC in NO after the bounty scandal, however, it was glossed over that Payton had actively chased after Williams trying to recruit him, when Williams' earlier Titans D's were notorious for being a bunch of cheap-shotting goons who deliberately set out to injure opponents.

I like brutal, old-school football, but that's neither here nor there because I'm just a fan. It's a different story when you have active NFL coaches who still apparently think the objective of the game is to hurt and injure people.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Amused at the media sources raving about Zach Wilson's preseason, while simultaneously ignoring the fact that he's a 3rd year QB being handed the garbage starts early in preseason normally reserved for the camp-arm roster cutdown guys.

Broncos O played most of the first half and looked like utter shit.

Richardson looks as raw as I thought he would, but a lot of time for him to come good yet. Still think they'll start Minshew until he plays himself out of the job.

I think the Steelers will be the main threat to the Bengals in the AFC North this year.

Chargers looking like they might actually have a bit of depth, on offense at least, for the first time in about 20 years.

Rams played a lot of their final 53 defense guys early and looked awful. Obvs the starters will make a big difference, but I think they're still on a downwards slope and might struggle to win more than 4-5 games all season. 

Quentin Johnston looked exactly like college Quentin Johnston i.e. some awful drops, and trapping the ones he hung on to with his body. I think they've been very selective with the clips of his camp play that they've put out to the media.

I only really watch it to get an idea of who is likely to make up the depth, and to keep an eye on the UDFA guys who might just sneak on to the roster. Nobody shows their stuff in preseason, but there's a new OC in LAC and I wanted to see what type of O he plans on running. The entire running game philosophy is different and you could clearly see that even with the backups in the game. The 2nd string O was still moving the ball, and that's something that just didn't happen when Lombardi was OC, so it's a welcome change and encouraging start

You can't really watch preseason in the hope that you get quality, exciting football, because very few teams and coaches actually bother about the outcome or specific game situations (except for arseholes like Carroll and Harbaugh :P), and usually once the backups are out and you are into the 3rds, PS, and roster body guys the standard of play completely tanks

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I only really watch it to get an idea of who is likely to make up the depth, and to keep an eye on the UDFA guys who might just sneak on to the roster. Nobody shows their stuff in preseason, but there's a new OC in LAC and I wanted to see what type of O he plans on running. The entire running game philosophy is different and you could clearly see that even with the backups in the game. The 2nd string O was still moving the ball, and that's something that just didn't happen when Lombardi was OC, so it's a welcome change and encouraging start

You can't really watch preseason in the hope that you get quality, exciting football, because very few teams and coaches actually bother about the outcome or specific game situations (except for arseholes like Carroll and Harbaugh :P), and usually once the backups are out and you are into the 3rds, PS, and roster body guys the standard of play completely tanks

The injury risk is just far too high to include starters, the 49ers had only 1 of their expected 22 starters suited up in their loss at the Raiders. Trey Lance played the first half and his stats of 10 completions from 15 with 1TD and no picks look respectable enough, but the LV juggling team dropped what should have been 3 interceptions including the TD throw. He's still 3rd choice behind Purdy and Darnold for me.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Lance is flirting with the "B" word.

Bit harsh, since he hasn't really been given an opportunity to fail, but still, you don't take a QB that high then expect to still having him fighting for a job three seasons later.

Two seasons wrecked by injury tbf, but reports from training camp were that there was a big shift in attitude towards him this year. Previous two years they have run a lot of plays specifically designed for him, not so much this year. He was expected to run the same playbook as Purdy etc, mainly pocket passing, and he hasn't looked comfortable at all.