NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Lance is flirting with the "B" word.

Bit harsh, since he hasn't really been given an opportunity to fail, but still, you don't take a QB that high then expect to still having him fighting for a job three seasons later.

I think it’s gone beyond flirting with that word.

He got comprehensively outplayed by an unfavoured rookie suiting up in an NFL game for the first time.

Zack Martin back with the Cowboys, ending his holdout. Cost him roughly $1 million in fines, but got him $8 million more over the next two years. There was a fascinating discussion of Martin and his holdout with former teammate Jesse Holley on local radio.

So Zack’s guaranteed money was finished on his contract, and he was now the 8th best paid guard in the NFL, while he’s widely agreed to be the best guard right now, period. The Cowboy’s had come to Zack five times to renegotiate his contract to give them cap room, and Zack finally said, “It’s my turn”. So Zack decided not to report, with two years remaining on his contract. Now NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed, unless specified, so  the team could have said to him, bye, at no cost…while he couldn’t retire without owning 1/3 of his signing bonus from the latest deal. The holdout meant he was being fined, non-waviable fines, for every day he missed…and it was totaling $800,000 a few days ago.

The insight Holley had was this…Zack didn’t care, because he had enough. Jesse ran down a few facts those outside the NFL may not know about.

1) If you want to talk to someone about being financially smart, talk to the white linemen (as an African-American ex-player, Jesse can say that safely). Most of them drive the same car year after year and don’t have some big posse they are paying for. In Zack’s case, he gets a free Ford F-250 pickup every six months in exchange for some commercials for a local Ford dealer.

2) Zack has made between $40 and $50 million over the last four years, but probably only spends somewhere in the low six figures. He has a nice enough house with some land, and it’s already paid for, so he only has taxes and upkeep.

3) His kids go to a modest private school, that probably waives their tuition; in exchange for a few speaking engagements and some fund raising.

4) He doesn’t have a lot of fancy jewelry and doesn’t go jetting off places, he likes to drive his tractor on the back forty.

So Jesse figured he still had $30-40 million in the bank and is spending less than $500,000 per year. He’s got several endorsement deals that likely net him over $1-2 million per year. He could afford to sit out the season, pay the fines, and still not even really feel it. The crazy thing in the NFL is those with the money have to spend the least money because of what gets given to them.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, can’t compete without Zack Martin…and have a history for caving and paying. And what just happened…good call, Jesse!

21 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Lance is flirting with the "B" word.

Bit harsh, since he hasn't really been given an opportunity to fail, but still, you don't take a QB that high then expect to still having him fighting for a job three seasons later.

He should never have been picked that high. He only played 16(?) college games and even they weren’t against top opposition. 
He could run and The 9ers wanted a runner.

He’s got top of first round money to fall back on and I’m sure someone will pick him up and keep him as a back up.

19 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

Zeke to the Patriots?! 

The epitome of “mind him?” but certainly a step up from Stevenson

Stevenson will still be their main RB I reckon. 

37 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Stevenson will still be their main RB I reckon. 

Yup.

Zeke looked like an RB getting close to hitting the 'wall' last season.

On a separate note, I've been triggered/tilted by the latest NFL numbering nonsense. Teddy Bridgewater wearing #50 is bad enough, but the Rams had Kickers and Punters wearing #40'something the other night, every team seems to have a guy wearing #0, and the Chargers had two players wearing #35 active on Sunday. Great way to completely f**k something that was working fine guys. 😡😡😡

The whole point of the NFL numbering system was to assist officials, announcers, NFL statisticians, and fans, identify players quickly and easily. They even simplified it periodically throughout the 80's and 90's to streamline it further and make it even more user friendly.

To go from that to 'just wear whatever the f**k you want' is ridiculous. It's an utter shambles. The only reason for doing it is to pander to the Insta generation so they can pose like arseholes in a # they think is more marketable. The shite about 'number availability' is just that, shite. If teams want to go retiring 10+ numbers that's up to them, but it isn't an issue that needs solved by destroying a perfectly sensible numbering system. The NFL already dealt with the 'but all our #80's are retired!!!' stuff years ago by permitting WR's to wear #1-#19 and TE's #40-#49. The gradual creep of LB's wearing #40's was bad enough, but the switch to a free-for-all has turned it into a farce. Only a matter of time before we see #100-#999 make an appearance, and from that point on you might as well let them wear letters or abstract shapes, patterns, or anything the f**k they like.

I also cannot go retire a number shite. Fair enough retire a hersey with the name and number on it, but you shouldn't be prevented from issuing a number, no matter who wore it previously.

On 16/08/2023 at 16:01, Boo Khaki said:

The whole point of the NFL numbering system was to assist officials, announcers, NFL statisticians, and fans, identify players quickly and easily. They even simplified it periodically throughout the 80's and 90's to streamline it further and make it even more user friendly.

To go from that to 'just wear whatever the f**k you want' is ridiculous. It's an utter shambles. The only reason for doing it is to pander to the Insta generation so they can pose like arseholes in a # they think is more marketable. The shite about 'number availability' is just that, shite. If teams want to go retiring 10+ numbers that's up to them, but it isn't an issue that needs solved by destroying a perfectly sensible numbering system. The NFL already dealt with the 'but all our #80's are retired!!!' stuff years ago by permitting WR's to wear #1-#19 and TE's #40-#49. The gradual creep of LB's wearing #40's was bad enough, but the switch to a free-for-all has turned it into a farce. Only a matter of time before we see #100-#999 make an appearance, and from that point on you might as well let them wear letters or abstract shapes, patterns, or anything the f**k they like.

Particularity troublesome now on determination of eligible receivers.

As for “anything”, the XFL almost started that with “HeHateMe”

ROFL Saints O flagged for blatant Picks twice in the same drive. I don't think I've seen a Pick actually called in about 10 years. It would be nice if this was a point of emphasis going forward because it's ridiculous what O's get away with these days, but I suspect it's just a pre-season crew being arsey.

On 14/08/2023 at 22:29, peasy23 said:

Two seasons wrecked by injury tbf, but reports from training camp were that there was a big shift in attitude towards him this year. Previous two years they have run a lot of plays specifically designed for him, not so much this year. He was expected to run the same playbook as Purdy etc, mainly pocket passing, and he hasn't looked comfortable at all. 

It only seems like yesterday the rumours were the NIners were going to go with Jones over someone like Lance or Fields. Easy to say this with hindsight but how I wish they had picked Justin Fields. I am sure I read somewhere he harbours a bit of a grudge against the Niners for passing on him.

51 minutes ago, RiG said:

It only seems like yesterday the rumours were the NIners were going to go with Jones over someone like Lance or Fields. Easy to say this with hindsight but how I wish they had picked Justin Fields. I am sure I read somewhere he harbours a bit of a grudge against the Niners for passing on him.

Was reading last week that if the 49ers hadn't traded up they had the no 12 pick. 12th pick that year was Micah Parsons.

I have a wee suspicion the 9'ers might turn out to be one of this upcoming season's let downs. They are undoubtedly a solid all-around team, but I think there's a fair chance Purdy eventually begins to look and play like a Mr Irrelevant, Darnold is Darnold, and apart from one drive the other night there really isn't anything about Lance that makes you think he'd be ready to take on the job full-time.

Even with a mediocre QB carousel, I still think they are more than capable of winning 9-10 games regardless, and if Purdy turns out to be the real thing then the sky is the limit. I'm just a bit concerned that BP is already being touted as a legit NFL starting QB in some quarters, when the reality is NFL history is littered with QB's who came out of nowhere, burned bright for a very short period, but then crashed and burned when expected to carry the load full time and longer term. 

In all honesty, I could see any one of the three of them being the starting QB by the business end of the season and I wouldn't be particularly surprised regardless of who that is, which is kinda indicative of the problem itself.

22 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Colts have told Johnathan Taylor he's free to seek a trade.

Not a great time of the year for trades, and considering the Colts are reportedly asking for more than the Panthers received for McCaffrey I honestly can't see him going anywhere.

Someone linked Da Bears with him, as we have so much Cap Space and Draft Picks to spare.

I think there's roughly another 30 teams more likely to sign him.