NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

How to completely fcuk up your own life, at the age of only 22, never mind what you’ve done to others. (A life in which you were already earning amazing money and being treated like a rock star for playing a sport). For what? A couple of beers? A few tequila shots? A Jack Daniels or two?

I mean to fcuk, there’s Becks Blue, all sorts of decent tasting zero beers these days. I have many nights out where I’m driving and if I stand with a few Becks Blue or Moretti Zero, feels fine. Point being, I don’t know where Ruggs was - a party, a bar, a friend’s house - but if he knew he would be driving, there is just no excuse, none whatsoever. Never mind zero percent bevvy these days, as someone else said, he can afford taxis and Uber, eh?

America and ‘DUI’ is nearly as baffling as America and guns. Nearly.

Drinking non-alcoholic bear deserves a longer prison sentence that killing someone drink driving.

20 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t know how the American justice system works but I’m guessing Ruggs is looking at some lengthy jail time 

I'd say that is inevitable - the US prosecution system loves nothing more than doubling-up charges to get longer sentences, and I note that the Guardian article has already been updated (link) with this:

He had his initial court appearance on Wednesday on felony charges of driving under the influence of alcohol resulting in death and reckless driving that could get him up to 26 years in state prison if he is convicted.

Logically, you might think that the first charge essentially includes the second - but this is likely added due to new information suggesting that he was driving around 150mph at the time of the accident... as more details are released from the crash site, more charges will be added.

19 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Actually... reading more looks like Nevada has nothing but a custodial sentence for a DUI leading to the death of another - 2-20 years.

Luckily for Mr Ruggs, that time will likely be spent in relative comfort (whilst reading up on the law I found this (link)):

Note that the Nevada Department of Prisons tries to segregate people convicted of driving drunk from violent offenders and to house them in minimum-security facilities.

15 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Is this the right way to go about it? I mean, I'm sure everyone is 99.9% certain that he is guilty, however innocent until proven guilty in the courts surely? 

What if it turns out he was under the limit and had a bad reaction to meds or something? Or that the other person was DUI?

Generally, I would agree with that. 

But unlike most crimes, where there is a level of ambiguity, with driving under the influence and causing death there are far fewer grey areas.  Were you DUI?  Did someone die?  I'm guessing that his lawyer (likely hired by the Raiders) will have known pretty quickly yesterday morning whether or not the police are going to be able to prove that. 

11 hours ago, steelmen said:

Loaded gun the car too…

Possession of a gun whilst intoxicated is, I believe, a crime in Nevada.  So this will likely add another couple of charges and another few years...

The killing of the dog may also be a separate crime.

Any way you look at it, this is an absolute tragedy.  I hate stories like this, which are far too common in the NFL.  The young woman's family completely torn apart in one moment of completely unnecessary stupidity/arrogance.  Ruggs' career over before it has started, and with it goes so much potential and opportunity for him and his family etc.