NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I’ve heard a few kickers mention that the moving back of the extra point took away an opportunity for easy in game practice which would let them establish a rhythm.

IMO, they shouldn’t have replaced the XP with a longer XP. What should have happened is that they make a touchdown worth 7 points and then you can gamble 1 point to go for 2, if that makes sense. So you have the opportunity of an automatic 7, or you can attempt a “2 point conversion” to get 8, but if you go for it and fail then you only get 6. 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’ve heard a few kickers mention that the moving back of the extra point took away an opportunity for easy in game practice which would let them establish a rhythm.

IMO, they shouldn’t have replaced the XP with a longer XP. What should have happened is that they make a touchdown worth 7 points and then you can gamble 1 point to go for 2, if that makes sense. So you have the opportunity of an automatic 7, or you can attempt a “2 point conversion” to get 8, but if you go for it and fail then you only get 6. 

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea, but in the context of ‘XPs help kickers with their momentum’, this idea would be even worse for them as they’d have no XPs to kick at all.

Aaron Rodgers fined $14k for ignoring Covid protocols for most of the season.

Heard on GMFB that the fine is for a Halloween party he went to and the packers got their fine for the same party.

The lying about being vaccinated and ignoring all protocols, not just for a party, appear to have been swept under the carpet. Although there is talk about the packers losing draft picks, I’ll believe it went I see it.

As was said the other day, if this was Derek Carr or anyone but a top tier guy they would have been banned for a serious amount of time. Same with the pats and Brady, a history of cheating but they are allowed to keep their titles and it doesn’t tarnish their legacy.

What is $14k to Rodgers??? 2 minutes pay?

Heard on GMFB that the fine is for a Halloween party he went to and the packers got their fine for the same party.

The lying about being vaccinated and ignoring all protocols, not just for a party, appear to have been swept under the carpet. Although there is talk about the packers losing draft picks, I’ll believe it went I see it.

As was said the other day, if this was Derek Carr or anyone but a top tier guy they would have been banned for a serious amount of time. Same with the pats and Brady, a history of cheating but they are allowed to keep their titles and it doesn’t tarnish their legacy.

What is $14k to Rodgers??? 2 minutes pay?
Saw a tweet saying it was equivalent to 33 bucks to the average American wage.

Reading one of Aaron Rodgers’ long interviews post-ImmuniseGate, I actually agree with a lot of what he says. His attitude towards some of these Covid rules mirrors mine. Especially surrounding the mandatory wearing of facemasks as if they posess magic powers. Without covering ground in the dedicated ‘Covid’ thread on this forum though… Rodgers was saying stuff like ‘when I come in to do these press conferences, I don’t wear a mask because I’m nowhere near you press guys, we’re twenty feet away, what good is a mask?’ Etc. I get all that, and absolutely agree with it.

That’s not the problem though. The problem is that the NFL introduced a set of rules that everyone, including the players union, agreed to. Rules for un-vaccinated players. Rodgers (as is his right) wasn’t vaccinated, but both he and the Packers ‘manipulated the situation’ to make it appear he was. There will have been many other un-vaccinated players, but they would have followed the rules set for un-vaccinated players, even if, like Aaron Rodgers, they thought those rules were a waste of time - just like the Scottish Government clinging onto mandatory facemasks up here.

If Rodgers wanted to remain un-vaccinated and thought the rules were an ass, he should have argued his case through the players union at the time the rules were being set. Maybe he did. Maybe though, he never said a word, and adopted an attitude that said ‘fcuk your daft rules, I’m not following them, I won’t catch Covid and won’t get caught not following these stupid rules anyway’…. Which is what I think he did. In my opinion.

It’s not even really about covid, they league has rules and he and the packers (if they knew about it) lied to circumvent them. At least Cole Beesley was upfront with his feelings and by the sounds of it he has followed the rules.

What about the concussion protocol? Is Rodgers allowed to just pick and choose if he follows that?

SuperBowls aren't won on paper, somebody tell the Rams quick. 

It is definitely possible to have too many options sometimes and Kupp, Woods and Jefferson, with Higbee thrown in, weren't a bad set of options to begin with. 

OBJ could upset the applecart in the dressing room, a talented player in his pomp no doubt but thats definitely in the past based on what we've seen of his time latterly with the Browns. 

A fascinating signing all the same. 

I think OBJ will do well at Rams. They're definitely going all in this season, though, a risky tactic with headcase Rodgers and Brady still to get rid of before you even get to a Super Bowl. 

Luckily they'll both likely be gone in a couple of seasons leaving the path clear for the long-awaited Bears run of ten back to back Super Bowl wins. 

Maybe only eight, if we haven't done the sensible thing and sacked Nagy yet.