NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

They would still probably draft him then it would be up to another team to make them an offer for him, either on draft day or later. You could potentially have a stand-off of a drafted player refusing to play for the team that selected him, but I can't think of any examples where it hadn't been settled long before the season started.

It's very rare that a drafted player doesn't sign for the team that drafts him, but recentish examples would be Eli Manning not wanting to play for the Chargers and John Elway refusing to play for the Colts.

Edited by Small Bovine Maisonette

2 hours ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

They would still probably draft him then it would be up to another team to make them an offer for him, either on draft day or later. You could potentially have a stand-off of a drafted player refusing to play for the team that selected him, but I can't think of any examples where it hadn't been settled long before the season started.

It's very rare that a drafted player doesn't sign for the team that drafts him, but recentish examples would be Eli Manning not wanting to play for the Chargers and John Elway refusing to play for the Colts.

So the player doesn't have any real say in who signs them, just refusal to play? That's a bit shite. But I suppose it keeps the 'fairness' in the league I guess.

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

As a relative newbie to the in depth NFL, I don't see any fixing going on, however with the VAR type setup they have, I can't understand how they can get it wrong so often.

On a separate question,

You know how a youngster gets picked in the draft, say he gets his phone call at a perty, can he turn round and say no? For instance...

"Hey young quarterback, we are the Detroit Lions, we pick you in the draft."

"Nah you're alright mate, the Lions are shite, I will wait for someone better thanks"

It's not every call or action that is actually reviewable, so they'll still get certain things blatantly wrong or misapply the rules. Shawn Hochuli's crew are a great laugh if you want to see a bunch of idiots determined to over-officiate. They misapply the rules consistently, even to the point where they'll confuse themselves and invent new rules on the fly. 

If a player genuinely doesn't want to play for a team then that's normally laid bare in pre-draft meetings. It doesn't prevent the team in question going ahead and drafting him anyway if they are absolutely determined, but all it means is that they have the rights to try and sign that player to a pro contract, and can trade those rights away if they wish. The player is prohibited from playing for any other team while the drafting team holds his rights. 

I'm not 100% certain of what the rules are now, but it used to be that a player could 'hold out' for an entire year and re-enter the NFL draft over again, but I suspect that's been altered.

One funny example is Ryan Leaf. Everyone knows the Ryan Leaf story, massive headcase, huge bust etc, but what's not commonly known is what Leaf did prior to the Draft. Everyone knows about Eli Manning saying he wouldn't play for the Chargers and the Chargers drafting him anyway, but in the case of Leaf he pulled the opposite. Indi held the first pick, Chargers the second. Everyone had Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf as the consensus top two picks, both teams needed a QB. Some places had Leaf ranked higher than Manning, which was understandable on their physical assets because Leaf was mobile, had an absolute cannon of an arm, and could make any throw you liked. There was a lot of debate about who Indi should take with the first pick. Chargers actually contacted Indi to talk about a trade of picks, but Indi understandably weren't interested. Anyway, prior to the draft Leaf decided that he had no interest in playing in Indianapolis, so when he was due to attend a meeting with Jim Isray he dingied it. Didn't bother cancelling, just stood them up. Leaf got what he wanted when Indi duly took Manning 1st overall.

Well that's any chance of a fight for the AFC West title gone. Chargers have placed LT Rashawn Slater on the Covid list.

Biggest game in years, and Slater, Allen, Quessenberry all on the Covid list, Derwin James, Asante Samuel Jnr, not guaranteed to play, and extended DNP list as long as my arm.

Every fucking year we get shafted by injuries.

CB Jerry Jacobs placed on IR with an an ACL. Shame his season ends prematurely as he'd be been a standout who initially was lower on the depth chart.

The wonderfully named S Brady Breeze has been claimed off waivers from the Titans.

Things could get really silly over the next few weeks with the number of unvaccinated players there are. I wonder if they have any contingency for potentially pausing the season for a firebreak.
Not a chance imo. They'll just alter the rules to allow teams to sign players short term if it gets to the point that practice squads are fully used up.

3 hours ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

If teams don't have enough players because stupid anti-vaxxers are unavailable they should forfeit the games and the players should be fined until their wallets bleed.

Isn't that actually the stance the NFL have taken... kind of.  Forfeit game and no match day cheque?  

It's not just about 'stupid antivaxxers'. Not every person who decides not to be vaccinated or is yet to be vaccinated is anti-vax. There are plenty of vaccinated players returning positive tests and missing games too.

I think if it got to the ridiculous stage that every team was returning 20-30 positive tests that there would have to be consideration to having a two week gap between fixtures and a plea to the players to at least try and be responsible, isolate as much as possible, and try to firebreak the cycle of infection within NFL facilities.  If it didn't clear it entirely, and I don't for one moment think it would, it should at least serve to reduce the infections and missing players back to the levels of the early part of the season.

Trying to play late season, playoff, and possibly Superbowl games with largely replacement rosters would just make an absolute mockery of the entire thing and indelibly tarnish the NFL's brand. People still talk about the 1987 strike and what a farce that season was, and the shortened '82 season. The NFL is paranoid about public perception, I think they'd sooner entertain the upheaval of postponing one round of games for a week, possibly between week 18 and the WC's, than having a load of shelf-stackers and UPS delivery guys juking it out for Superbowl honours.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Probably of no interest to anyone here but me, but as of Sunday that's the Chargers franchise back to .500 exactly all-time. This happens every couple of years when they actually have a winning season, then the inevitable 4 or 5 win season later we're back to being a sub .500 franchise. Would be nice to actually string a couple of winning seasons together just to kinda cement being a +.500 team historically.

What's a bit of an oddity is the Chargers are one of the few select franchises that have had a literal handful of QB's do the vast bulk of their QB'ing down the years. Given that relative stability, it really is bizarre that they haven't appeared in more than one Superbowl. 1980 and 2006 the ones that really got away. the 1994 team was solid enough, but not a genuinely elite team like the '80 and '06 versions.