NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

17 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Salary cap expected to be raised by $25.7 million from the current $182.5 million to $208.2 million for next season with a further increase for the 2023 season.

It’s all to do with TV deals isn’t it? More money they get off Fox/NBC/ESPN/CBS the more go’s into the salary pot

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:
1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:
Salary cap expected to be raised by $25.7 million from the current $182.5 million to $208.2 million for next season with a further increase for the 2023 season.

Bet we still don't sign up Allen Robinson

McLaurin will be watching very carefully this off-season.  He's not actually eligible until day 1 of the new season 

Confirmed. I can see why they've done it but Hawks 9er games are usually quite entertaining
As predicted, very entertaining for the neutral I'm sure. Turnovers a plenty, fake punt for a TD, great game.

27 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Congratulations to the Texans on being the first team to be officially eliminated from playoff contention.

I'm confused, how can the Jagwars and Lions still make it in? I know you're correct, I just don't get it.

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I'm confused, how can the Jagwars and Lions still make it in? I know you're correct, I just don't get it.

As things currently stand, the Jags can achieve 7 wins, the Lions 6. The current AFC Wildcard teams have 7 wins, the NFC wildcard teams 6. The Jags and Lions can both match those records if they win out, so there is undoubtedly a million to one set of results that could still see them each take Wildcard spots on complicated tiebreakers. Conversely, the Texans can also still achieve 7 wins, however they have already lost to the Browns, Bills, Patriots, Jaguars, and the Colts twice, all of whom are potential rivals  for an AFC playoff spot, two of their remaining five games are versus NFC opponents, so in all likelihood there is no remaining tie-breaker in their favour which could see them take an AFC Wildcard with only 7 wins, hence they are eliminated.

What's really important to look at this time of year is each team's Conference record. When two teams have played each other head-to-head then the outcome of that game decides the tie-breaker, but when you have multiple teams with the same record who haven't played head-to-head you then have to look at Conference record and record v's common opponents in order to decide finishing order. It's likely this is stuffing the Texans whereas the Jags and Lions still have a possible route to the playoffs, even if it is only hypothetical.

Having just looked at the standings it's actually pretty clear-cut. Lions have one tie, so could finish 6-10-1 in theory, a record better than 6-11, which keeps them in contention simply due to the fact that all the other WC teams in the NFC have only 6 wins. 

Jags Conference record is 2-5 as opposed to Texans 2-7, meaning the Jags could win all their remaining fixtures v's AFC opponents and post a respectable 7-5 Conference record, whereas the Texans 5-7 at best would make it impossible for them to qualify with a 7-10 record overall due to tiebreakers.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

As things currently stand, the Jags can achieve 7 wins, the Lions 6. The current AFC Wildcard teams have 7 wins, the NFC wildcard teams 6. The Jags and Lions can both match those records if they win out, so there is undoubtedly a million to one set of results that could still see them each take Wildcard spots on complicated tiebreakers. Conversely, the Texans can also still achieve 7 wins, however they have already lost to the Browns, Bills, Patriots, Jaguars, and the Colts twice, all of whom are potential rivals  for an AFC playoff spot, two of their remaining five games are versus NFC opponents, so in all likelihood there is no remaining tie-breaker in their favour which could see them take an AFC Wildcard with only 7 wins, hence they are eliminated.

What's really important to look at this time of year is each team's Conference record. When two teams have played each other head-to-head then the outcome of that game decides the tie-breaker, but when you have multiple teams with the same record who haven't played head-to-head you then have to look at Conference record and record v's common opponents in order to decide finishing order. It's likely this is stuffing the Texans whereas the Jags and Lions still have a possible route to the playoffs, even if it is only hypothetical.

Having just looked at the standings it's actually pretty clear-cut. Lions have one tie, so could finish 6-10-1 in theory, a record better than 6-11, which keeps them in contention simply due to the fact that all the other WC teams in the NFC have only 6 wins. 

Jags Conference record is 2-5 as opposed to Texans 2-7, meaning the Jags could win all their remaining fixtures v's AFC opponents and post a respectable 7-5 Conference record, whereas the Texans 5-7 at best would make it impossible for them to qualify with a 7-10 record overall due to tiebreakers.

Very well explained.

Thank you.

NFL tie-breakers can get pretty complicated, especially since there are differences between how Division standings are decided, and how Conference standing is decided. 

IIRC Division goes : Head to head, Division record, Common games, Conference Record, Strength of Victory, Strength of Schedule

Whereas Conference goes : Head to head (but only if one team has swept ALL the other teams it is tied with on record), THEN Conference Record, THEN Common Games, and so on

I remember there was a season a few years back where San Diego was battling with two other AFC teams for a wildcard. We'd lost to one of them, finished tied on record, but still ranked above both because the other two had not played a head-to-head, so the tie-breaker was Conference record and SD finished a game ahead in that regard. This is why websites have things like playoff machines for the NFL because it can get bit confusing when one team seemingly finishes ahead of another despite losing the head-to-head meeting.

Edited by Boo Khaki