NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Should be an interesting off-season for the QB'ing position. College class doesn't look particularly impressive, and neither is the entire 2022 impending FA class. I wonder if anyone other than loony franchises would trade for Watson given what he has hanging over him, and I doubt GB will be desperate to be rid of Rodgers given the shitshow their offense was without him. May be that if he's determined to get out, and they lose Davante Adams at the same time, that they decide to grab what they can and go for a bit of a retool.

Chargers are looking at having probably the most cap room in the NFL this offseason assuming they cut the already-should-be-retired Bryan Bulaga, but it's not exactly a year where there's a heap of 'I want' players hitting the market. If they don't re-sign Mike Williams I'd expect them to be in the mix for Adams should he reach FA, Germain Ifedi would be a typical Tom Telesco FA signing to shore-up RT, and we could really do with finding a serviceable vet RB from somewhere because we can't drop a day 1 or 2 pick on one given our other holes and the fact that we've drafted backs on day 3 the past two years and both of them are shite. I'd look at Marlon Mack and James Conner if they are available. Fournette would be the ideal type of back to spell Ekeler, but I think Tampa will re-sign him and he's the sort of player TT won't touch with a ten foot bargepole anyway, so it's not a realistic shout. There are very few decent DL options under 30 but I'd have Isaac Rochell back from Indi in a heartbeat. He was a far more effective player than his draft slot gave him any right to be, and I was really disappointed we didn't re-sign him considering we were already thin at End anyway. Jared Cook is still somewhat effective, but he's prone to dropping catchable balls and I don't think LAC could justify re-signing him at his age, so TE is another need despite the fact that all 3 of our younger TE's look like they have some potential. They are not starter material yet though. We also need another CB, desperately. Chris Harris Jnr is showing all the signs of being washed, Tevaughn Campbell isn't starter quality, and Mike Davis is having the worst season of his career in Staley's scheme. 

I think LAC is really still about 5 or 6 starters away from being a legit contender. DT,DE,CB,RT all need upgrades this offseason, and we also need depth pieces at TE,RB,LB, and possibly OG if Oday Aboushi isn't re-signed or doesn't recover from his injury, so that being said I'll be satisfied with a WC berth this season even if it's a one-and-done. They're at least one draft and FA period away yet, but luckily they should have money to go and spend on those holes even if they want to prioritise re-signing their own vets.

On 07/12/2021 at 22:28, pozbaird said:

Bridgewater

His "effort" in making last man tackles in the last few weeks after throwing an interception tell you all you need to know about the fight in the dog. It's a pity because Williams is really making big strides and Jeudy (once back to full fitness), Sutton and Fant are decent receiving options too.

The chess pieces don't stay together for too long before departing.

Chargers nearly beat the Panthers with a last gasp hook and ladder last year, but Keenan Allen inexplicably threw the ball behind Ekeler when he would have walked into the EZ.

Dolphins also did it to SD in that legendary 1981 playoff game, and I have hazy memories of seeing it done once or twice in other regular season games in the 90's. Randy Moss Vikes I think.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Gutted by this. Was absolutely sensational in the Super Bowl 50 year especially, and all reports suggest he was a great guy off the field too.

Despite the fuds desperate to connect it to vaccinations, it seems to have been complications after a recent  car accident

Keenan Allen officially ruled out for week 14. Appears he's not only returning positive tests but is also symptomatic. Mike Williams and Chris Harris Jnr continuing to return negative tests so should hopefully be available to play. Chargers should still beat NYG regardless, but KA is really needed back early next week as it's an AFC West showdown with the Queefs next Thursday.

Jags have become this era's equivalent of the 80's/90's Tampa. Just a complete toilet franchise. Everything they touch turns to shit. Sorry to belabour the point, but the Meyer hire was always going to be a disaster. If I was Lawrence I'd think seriously about demanding a trade unless Meyer is fired after week 18.

The NFL stinks right now. Winning teams are hovering up all the talent somehow, early draft picks mean fuckall these days.
It’s becoming a big boy league, the strong get stronger (and favorable decisions from the officials AND the league) and fucking screw the rest of you!

It’s rotten to the core!

It’s becoming as bad as the bigot brothers in the SPFL

I once saw the Cardinals beat the Cowboys in the playoffs, the Falcons beat the 49'ers in the playoffs, the Jags beat the Pats in the playoffs, and the Jets win a playoff game all in the same year, so I refuse to believe it's fixed because even the most bent of criminal operations wouldn't dare try to string that set of results together. 

It's a mess, and the zebras are routinely shite for all the teams. The decisions they screw up in favour of certain teams and players are just magnified because those are also the better teams and players that people get sick of seeing winning. 

The year we beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, after the zebras stood and watched Philip Rivers throw a TD pass on a snap that Russell Okung jumped about half-an-hour early and didn't blow dead was the year I realised that what people think is cheating is actually just rank incompetence.

A couple of seasons ago Melvin Gordon got stood up on a carry at the opponents goal line. They had to review to decide if he broke the plane or not. They decided he hadn't, and the refs promptly spotted the ball right on the 1 yard hashmark. That right there and then was the point where I finally stopped defending NFL officiating. It's as bad as SFA reffing.

Edited by Boo Khaki

16 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I once saw the Cardinals beat the Cowboys in the playoffs, the Falcons beat the 49'ers in the playoffs, the Jags beat the Pats in the playoffs, and the Jets win a playoff game all in the same year, so I refuse to believe it's fixed because even the most bent of criminal operations wouldn't dare try to string that set of results together. 

It's a mess, and the zebras are routinely shite for all the teams. The decisions they screw up in favour of certain teams and players are just magnified because those are also the better teams and players that people get sick of seeing winning. 

The year we beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, after the zebras stood and watched Philip Rivers throw a TD pass on a snap that Russell Okung jumped about half-an-hour early and didn't blow dead was the year I realised that what people think is cheating is actually just rank incompetence.

A couple of seasons ago Melvin Gordon got stood up on a carry at the opponents goal line. They had to review to decide if he broke the plane or not. They decided he hadn't, and the refs promptly spotted the ball right on the 1 yard hashmark. That right there and then was the point where I finally stopped defending NFL officiating. It's as bad as SFA reffing.

As a relative newbie to the in depth NFL, I don't see any fixing going on, however with the VAR type setup they have, I can't understand how they can get it wrong so often.

On a separate question,

You know how a youngster gets picked in the draft, say he gets his phone call at a perty, can he turn round and say no? For instance...

"Hey young quarterback, we are the Detroit Lions, we pick you in the draft."

"Nah you're alright mate, the Lions are shite, I will wait for someone better thanks"