NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Sounds like Ravens and Lamar have reached an agreement over a new deal. Bigger than the one Hurts got allegedly.

Numbers seem to be 5 years, $260 million with $185 million guaranteed. $52 million a year!

19 hours ago, RiG said:

Numbers seem to be 5 years, $260 million with $185 million guaranteed. $52 million a year!

The numbers are mental. It’s a weird one though, because if you consider ‘soccer’, then the English Premier League, La Liga, Seria A, The Bundesliga, and associated ‘second tier’ leagues like the French, Dutch, and the leagues in South America and beyond, will all have TV deals, and fans across the globe. The NFL is it. There’s nothing, anywhere on the planet, that even comes close. I cannot imagine how much the NFL rakes in from TV deals and all sorts across the globe. Never mind merchandising and whatever else. They are it. No argument. No contest.

My gut tells me that’s the reason the figures are off the scale mental.

8 hours ago, steelmen said:

and he'll be injured by week 6 and out for the season again.

Ravens are going to regret this deal

I think they were hoping some team would submit an offer sheet so they could take the 2x 1sts and run. Since that didn't happen they were left with no other option really but to try and sign him long-term, and thanks to the ridiculous 'next man up' nature of QB contracts, it was always going to be a cost that he simply doesn't merit.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The numbers are mental. It’s a weird one though, because if you consider ‘soccer’, then the English Premier League, La Liga, Seria A, The Bundesliga, and associated ‘second tier’ leagues like the French, Dutch, and the leagues in South America and beyond, will all have TV deals, and fans across the globe. The NFL is it. There’s nothing, anywhere on the planet, that even comes close. I cannot imagine how much the NFL rakes in from TV deals and all sorts across the globe. Never mind merchandising and whatever else. They are it. No argument. No contest.

My gut tells me that’s the reason the figures are off the scale mental.

The TV deals in the US are currently worth $110 billion over 11 years

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/18/nfl-media-rights-contracts-amazon.

Neil Doncaster could probably get them more if he guaranteed 4 Cowboys v Patriots games a year

11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The TV deals in the US are currently worth $110 billion over 11 years

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/18/nfl-media-rights-contracts-amazon.

Neil Doncaster could probably get them more if he guaranteed 4 Cowboys v Patriots games a year

Ah, but post-split he’d send the Patriots away to St Mirren on a wet Tuesday night with an 8pm kick off for Sky…. now, in my mind, as I sit here watching my somewhat unconvincing Manly Sea Eagles live on Sky, my brain is contemplating further scenarios along the lines of ‘If Neil Doncaster and Scottish fitba, were put in charge of the NFL’… an endless mine of bizarre thoughts. A Willie Collum refereeing crew…. Gerry Cinnamon the half time Super Bowl act… 

…I need more coffee, and a Manly try… back to it.

NRL thread for this pish. I was at the Sydney game plus I don't have Foxtel so missed the Manly game thankfully. Still need to get my arse along to Brookvale but I've been saying that for years. 

Niners sign another quarterback.  As much as I fear Brock Purdy is a flash in the pan, for reasons completely outside his own doing, Trey Lance is going to go down as one of the worst draft misses of recent memory. 

13 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Schedule to be released 8pm Eastern on Thursday (1am Friday).  

International fixtures should be announced the day before.

Chiefs have apparently requested not to play Da Bears in Germany, so may well face someone like the Lions there.