Reasons to be Cheerful

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Was contacted by a funding council at the start of the week. They're having an underspend, and have asked if I can spend money fast. Sure, I said. 

The caveats are that it must be on scientific equipment. Each item must cost a minimum of £10k. Must be delivered by end of March. 

Spent three days phoning up suppliers. It's like Brewster's Millions. I'm buying stuff I've never even heard of, never mind used. So far I am at ~£166k, with a further 5 quotes to come in. 

The timescale means I can't get the really big/cool stuff I would like. But still...new toys. 

Definite Michelle Mone vibes about this

21 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Was contacted by a funding council at the start of the week. They're having an underspend, and have asked if I can spend money fast. Sure, I said. 

The caveats are that it must be on scientific equipment. Each item must cost a minimum of £10k. Must be delivered by end of March. 

Spent three days phoning up suppliers. It's like Brewster's Millions. I'm buying stuff I've never even heard of, never mind used. So far I am at ~£166k, with a further 5 quotes to come in. 

The timescale means I can't get the really big/cool stuff I would like. But still...new toys. 

I’m not sure if perpetuating an obviously fucked up system is something to be happy about.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not sure if perpetuating an obviously fucked up system is something to be happy about.

I doubt he is thinking about that when he opens up his IBC of free lube next time his wife is out the house for more than 12 hours

Edited by Bairnardo

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I doubt he is thinking about that when he opens up his IBC of free lube next time his wife is out the house for more than 12 hours

I obviously don’t follow other posters closely enough as I have no idea what that refers to.  However it sounds fascinating.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It's wonderful.

For me, personally, the more they give me means my "research income" is higher. Which means more chance of promotion sooner.

19 hours ago, scottsdad said:

A mate suggested I get a "mastersizer". I thought he was taking the piss, trying to get me to google some random naughty shit - but no. It is a real thing. 

Reveal hidden contents

i_110714_063_m3kBROCHURE_w_MV_Original%2

Hits stuff with a laser. Tells you how big it was before the laser destroyed it. 

Get one.  They're good fun.  

21 hours ago, scottsdad said:

A mate suggested I get a "mastersizer". I thought he was taking the piss, trying to get me to google some random naughty shit - but no. It is a real thing. 

Reveal hidden contents

i_110714_063_m3kBROCHURE_w_MV_Original%2

Hits stuff with a laser. Tells you how big it was before the laser destroyed it. 

I thought you were kidding and it was just random kitchen stuff like a coffee maker, kettle and blender..

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I obviously don’t follow other posters closely enough as I have no idea what that refers to.  However it sounds fascinating.

The story is simple. My wife heads off for a wee holiday staying with friends every few months. Posters here believe that the second her car is out of our driveway, I enter an immediate masturbatory frenzy, stopping for neither food nor sleep, which lasts until she gets back.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The story is simple. My wife heads off for a wee holiday staying with friends every few months. The second her car is out of our driveway, I enter an immediate masturbatory frenzy, stopping only to recklessly spend funding council money on unnecessary items which lasts until she gets back.

FTFY

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The story is simple. My wife heads off for a wee holiday staying with friends every few months. Posters here believe that the second her car is out of our driveway, I enter an immediate masturbatory frenzy, stopping for neither food nor sleep, which lasts until she gets back.

Quagmire.jpg

Edited by GordonD

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Sounds like me as a teenager the minute the old dear left the house for anything.

Both my sisters have booked and will arrive in Thailand on 21st March, not seen them in person for 3 years and 4 years respectfully.

They used to come every year, sometimes twice, last time was March '20 when Covid was kicking in and their flight back was cancelled.

So much has flowed down the river since then....

Happy times.

England's constant ability to shoot themselves in the foot, across multiple sports, when they think they are going to win the whole thing

The Hockey World Cup is on at the moment. England made it to the quarter finals without conceding a goal. They were 2-0 up with 3 minutes left today, when Germany missed a penalty. 30s later, Germany scored, and then got another penalty, which they scored. 2-2 at full time.

It went to a penalty shootout, and we all know what happens in penalty shootouts between England and Germany :lol: