Car advice

7 hours ago, Molotov said:

It is in tomorrow to a different garage to get a second opinion/quote. 

Any advice from the P&B car enthusiasts/mechanics?

No heads-up on the "other garage" recommendations that you're seeking a second opinion on. Have them compile their own list and recommendations.

Tyres, four, not three, like alta-pete says. Otherwise, the corrosion in the exhaust doesn't state if there is perforation...if there is, that'll need done. All the other items beefybake is spot on with. The garage themselves said it's not excessive or out of spec, so it doesn't have to be done...the brake lines need looked at to see how YOU feel about them, the suspension component is simply a watch for excess wear to replace. The fact they don't mention the shocks leaking is telling, corrosion is, well, what happens to metal over time if not protected and/or treated and no big deal at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Finally got my car back today after nearly 8 weeks in the garage. New timing chain, new turbo, and a bill at the thick end of £3k. At least it passed the MOT, though. 

@alta-pete looks like he got one of my previous cars!

On 15/12/2023 at 17:44, die hard doonhamer said:

Finally got my car back today after nearly 8 weeks in the garage. New timing chain, new turbo, and a bill at the thick end of £3k. At least it passed the MOT, though. 

On 15/12/2023 at 21:15, RH33 said:

@alta-pete looks like he got one of my previous cars!

Not so sure about that

• 1 month later...

Looking to buy my son's (18) first car. He found one on Facebook marketplace which we went to see and took out for a drive. Nice car, full service history starting in 2013 and the mileage increases add up. Said we'd let him know by tomorrow.

Got home, did a check with green flag and everything was ok apart from the tax.

The thing is the ownership. One owner up until June 2023 and then zilch. No registered owner. MOT was done in November and lasts until Nov 24. Tax ran out when it was sold in June last year, yet we went out for a test drive earlier and he said he'd been using it.

It's a really good car for my son and he would buy it if down to him and the seller we spoke to seemed to be quite open and honest. Although it was done from an industrial unit rather than a family home.

I've probably answered my own question.

Edited by Tony Ferrino

3 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Looking to buy my son's (18) first car. He found one on Facebook marketplace which we went to see and took out for a drive. Nice car, full service history starting in 2013 and the mileage increases add up. Said we'd let him know by tomorrow.

The thing is the ownership. One owner up until June 2023 and then zilch. No registered owner. MOT was done in November and lasts until Nov 24. Tax ran out when it was sold in June last year, yet we went out for a test drive earlier and he said he'd been using it.

It's a really good car for my son and he would buy it if down to him and the seller we spoke to seemed to be quite open and honest. Although it was done from an industrial unit rather than a family home.

I've always found with buying cars that if you've got any apprehensions about it then walk away.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I've always found with buying cars that if you've got any apprehensions about it then walk away.

100% this.

I have bought so many cars over the years that this is utterly true. 

No matter how small, any doubt just walk away.

Edited by scottsdad

27 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Go back tomorrow night and chore it.  He ain’t phoning plod (possibly) and your laddie gets a free car to ferry you home from the pub at weekends.

12 hours ago, Left Back said:

Go back tomorrow night and chore it.  He ain’t phoning plod (possibly) and your laddie gets a free car to ferry you home from the pub at weekends.

My mate actually did that. He had a few shots at banger racing. He spotted a trade in at a garage for a few weeks and made an offer that was refused, he went back and did a bit of work on it to get it nearer his valuation.

• 2 weeks later...

What the f**k is going on? 

Car insurance is due for renewal and the cheapest quote I can find is just under £300 dearer than last year (unless I fancy fitting a stupid black box). 

32 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Car insurance is due for renewal and the cheapest quote I can find is just under £300 dearer than last year (unless I fancy fitting a stupid black box). 

It has all gone bonkers in the last 12-18 months. My van insurance went up 250% and my car insurance 70%

Business & pet insurance also up about 40%. It's a massive racket.

36 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

It has all gone bonkers in the last 12-18 months. My van insurance went up 250% and my car insurance 70%

Business & pet insurance also up about 40%. It's a massive racket.

The Insurance companies are blaming the Red Sea crisis for this, we get all our insurance from China and it costs so much more to transport it round South Africa.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The Insurance companies are blaming the Red Sea crisis for this, we get all our insurance from China and it costs so much more to transport it round South Africa.

Sounds like they need to come with a more efficient way to pack more insurances into shipping containers.

8 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Mine came through last week. Premiums up 60% for no reason. 

Shopped around, and the cheapest was still a hundred quid more than last year

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone gone electric?

Decided that if my insurance is going to be ridiculous anyway with a 7 year old car, I might as well get something newer and looking at going electric. 

Looking for something quite big, with a decent range. Tesla Model Y so far is the winner but open to consider others cause Musk is a p***k but I don't see any that really come close for the charging convenience and range.

8 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Anyone gone electric?

Decided that if my insurance is going to be ridiculous anyway with a 7 year old car, I might as well get something newer and looking at going electric. 

Looking for something quite big, with a decent range. Tesla Model Y so far is the winner but open to consider others cause Musk is a p***k but I don't see any that really come close for the charging convenience and range.

Not yet but placed my order last week for a plug in hybrid. I thought I could soldier on with my non-LEZ compliant old diesel but the sense of achievement from ramping up my step count has been rapidly and entirely obliterated by having to do it in the pissing rain.

I recognise this post is fuckall use to answer your question and instead a very poor attempt a humblebrag that I'm getting a new car soon; but f**k ye's.

Spoiler

...although if those ITK could offer some helpful hints I'll read them. Thank you.

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Anyone gone electric?

Mustang Mach-E?

With electric pretty much every manufacturer has jumped on board so they're starting to become much of a muchness. Find a few cars you like the look of and there will be some EV variant of it. 

As for insurance I think it's to do with insurance companies getting in the shit for offering great new deals for first time customers but expensive renewals for existing customers. So they've countered this by bending over everyone and giving it to them dry.