Car advice

I can't even begin to imagine buying a car without seeing it in the flesh and even back then many years ago despite being a sucker for a test drive i'd always get them checked out by the RAC as I wouldn't know what i'm looking for. No idea what it costs now but £200 odd was always well spent as more often than not there was stuff needing done and the dealer would always agree to sort everything.  Didn't bother getting checks with last 2 Audi's as i knew the sales guy and dealer and never any problems. On my 3rd Subaru Impreza STi now from my dealer 1 mile away so I consider myself very lucky.

Wondering if anyone has any quick ways to tell what a fault might be on my car (will get it looked at soon but just even if i can brace myself in case it might be something pricey)

- 1.6 turbo astra petrol, 52k miles on it

- out driving yesterday, first ive noticed this. Lots of puddles/surface water, but i dont actually think i went through any prior to it starting, maybe exacerbated it, idk

- no warning or dash lights

- basically: the car runs more or less as normal, but at idle theres like a chugging noise started coming out of the engine and an occasional fairly high pitched kind of trill when its in motion. When the engine revs the chugging sound goes away

- turning the engine off it now makes an unearthly screeching noise

It went away when i started it up again today but came back after a couple of minutes of driving.

Not sure. Fan belt/loose bearing? Did open the bonnet and the sound is coming kind of near the driver side tyre i think.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Wondering if anyone has any quick ways to tell what a fault might be on my car (will get it looked at soon but just even if i can brace myself in case it might be something pricey)

- 1.6 turbo astra petrol, 52k miles on it

- out driving yesterday, first ive noticed this. Lots of puddles/surface water, but i dont actually think i went through any prior to it starting, maybe exacerbated it, idk

- no warning or dash lights

- basically: the car runs more or less as normal, but at idle theres like a chugging noise started coming out of the engine and an occasional fairly high pitched kind of trill when its in motion. When the engine revs the chugging sound goes away

- turning the engine off it now makes an unearthly screeching noise

It went away when i started it up again today but came back after a couple of minutes of driving.

Not sure. Fan belt/loose bearing? Did open the bonnet and the sound is coming kind of near the driver side tyre i think.

1 hour ago, Cappiecat1.2 said:

That sounds like a slipping fan belt.

Easy test.

I would (and probably will) buy my next car without seeing it. Been a few years since I bought a car and with the way prices have gone since then I don't see that I'll have any choice other than to widen the net. 

Won't be any older than 3 years old and if it comes with a service history and some  sort warranty I don't think I'd be too worried about not viewing it beforehand. As others have said, a decent description and a good amount of photos would suggest to me it's an honest sale. 

On 15/03/2024 at 20:21, jimmy boo said:

I can't even begin to imagine buying a car without seeing it in the flesh and even back then many years ago despite being a sucker for a test drive i'd always get them checked out by the RAC as I wouldn't know what i'm looking for. No idea what it costs now but £200 odd was always well spent as more often than not there was stuff needing done and the dealer would always agree to sort everything.  Didn't bother getting checks with last 2 Audi's as i knew the sales guy and dealer and never any problems. On my 3rd Subaru Impreza STi now from my dealer 1 mile away so I consider myself very lucky.

Are you no a bit old to still be driving those types of cars 😜

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Cracked manifold, apparently. New one to me, Dad is already suggesting potholes have fucked it... :(

I’m assuming you mean a cracked exhaust manifold? If so, potholes are possibly contributing, but short of a solid crash down onto the exhaust from a pothole the size of the hole in the Pars pitch from their blown pipe, it’s more likely either a combination of items or, if it’s a newish vehicle, a possible manufacturing defect. The older the car, the more likely simple rust issues drove it.

Edited by TxRover

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’m assuming you mean a cracked exhaust manifold? If so, potholes are possibly contributing, but short of a solid crash down onto the exhaust from a pothole the size of the hole in the Pars pitch from their blown pipe, it’s more likely either a combination of items or, if it’s a newish vehicle, a possible manufacturing defect. The older the car, the more likely simple rust issues drove it.

Kinda this pretty much.

Aye, I actually had a pal look at an intermittent check engine light a few months back and it came up with a fuel/air mix code, but it kept going away. Car was due its MOT in September anyway, was hoping to go trouble free til then.

Problem is its been running just fine so I've not bothered my arse up until it became properly unignorable. Annoyingly the white smoke is something that I have clocked occasionally but thought nothing of...

18 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Relatively quiet but high pitched screech when steering slightly left at 70mph(ish) coming from the passenger side of the car. Any suggestions?

Passenger whimpering in terror.

On 12/03/2024 at 00:06, madmitch said:

Biggest issue with going electric is the eye watering depreciation. 

Bt Broadband bought 15 electric vans less than a year a go to try out going electric. At least 10 of them are now sitting at a car auction site waiting to go through. Pal looking up the price of a new one £38000 odds +vat Put in the reg of one of them to see what one of the companys that buys vans would give you for one of them now -£15000 odds !

Wish I'd never posted on this thread now.

Driving back up from Ayr last night, put the foot down to overtake and the fan lights up like an Xmas tree.

Oil pressure warnings, no power at all.

Hard shoulder. Turn off engine, wait 5, check oil, level seems fine. Starts up again and off I go.

Happens again as I pick up speed pause the 40mph section on the M8.

Get off the motorway at the springburn ramp. Same routine and restart the engine, get home.

Bit of a look online and it seems this is a known issue with the Peugeot puretch engines, timing belt starting to shed particles into the engine oil and block channels.

#GarageMonday 

Edited by Peil

On 20/03/2024 at 15:45, RH33 said:

MoT and Service booked.for week Friday.

I already have the fear.

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Bonnet release has broken..so that's an MOT fail. Went to top up the screen wash and wouldn't release.

Nice to see you pre-gaming the MOT. I assume that’s a model with the back of the release lever concealed? Best bet is a broken or disconnected release cable. If it isn’t hidden, there’s a fair chance a pair of needle nose pliers can save you if you NEED to open the bonnet before it gets fixed, just remember it’s a sheathed wire cable and you need to yank on the interior wire rather than the covering. Shouldn’t be an impossible repair to get done before an MOT…the real pisser is it’s likely a dirt cheap cable to replace in terms of part cost (unless, as is likely with your automotive hex, the plastic lever broke at the connector), but I bet the mechanic makes a meal of it.

On 20/03/2024 at 15:46, die hard doonhamer said:

Relatively quiet but high pitched screech when steering slightly left at 70mph(ish) coming from the passenger side of the car. Any suggestions?

Assuming it sounds like it’s from the front, perhaps a loose brake shield contacting the rotor? Maybe verify it’s only at that speed with a quick windows down trundle in the neighbourhood (not suggesting 70 past the neighbours, just seeing if you hear it at 20). If you do hear it then, perhaps chock the rears, jack the front, unlock the steering column, put it in neutral and move the left front tyre (left/right and rotate) a bit while looking/listening for some contact

Edited by TxRover

Just had the insurance renewal through for the shared car up from £515 to £960, check compare the market and can get it for about £450, looking forward to the phonecall to tell Hastings to go f**k themselves. 

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Just had the insurance renewal through for the shared car up from £515 to £960, check compare the market and can get it for about £450, looking forward to the phonecall to tell Hastings to go f**k themselves. 

Check the small print carefully.  Had similar but when you investigated the cheap quote a lot of add ons were missing and when added brought the quote up high.