Car advice

Anyone got any advice on buying a used car online? Specifically one that’s too far away to test it first.

I’ve got a few different models in mind. Original plan was to find one locally that I can go see and test drive, but the choice is a bit limited for what we have in mind. If I go onto the likes of auto trader there’s much more choice and better value for money but I’m a bit wary of ordering a car that I won’t have seen in person first.

I know it can go back within 14 days when it’s online, but still not sure if I’m best sticking locally.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Anyone got any advice on buying a used car online? Specifically one that’s too far away to test it first.

I’ve got a few different models in mind. Original plan was to find one locally that I can go see and test drive, but the choice is a bit limited for what we have in mind. If I go onto the likes of auto trader there’s much more choice and better value for money but I’m a bit wary of ordering a car that I won’t have seen in person first.

I know it can go back within 14 days when it’s online, but still not sure if I’m best sticking locally.

I think the last half dozen cars we've had have been bought on the same basis for exactly the same reasons as you quote. Only last week Mrs a-p mkII's 3 year old A1 was delivered from Derby.

I'm not however a total cavalier, all have been bought under the manufacturer's Approved Used banner that, I think (and have so far been proven correct), guarantees a certain standard of car and preparation. Buying from an independent garage, or worse still Cazoo or similar - i think @RH33 has a story there somewhere - is just too much of a stretch and potential lottery for me. YMMV of course.

And there is a further argument that if you do decide to go look at it, if you are prepared to burn a day to go look at a car somewhere down the M6, I think it kinda torpedoes your negotiating position before you get there. The dealer knows you've seen the price on his car, you can't then low ball an offer having put in all that time and effort to get there and then blow a deal for £500/£1000. 

Dealing at a distance makes it - for me - much easier to be polite but firm about the best offer for the car. You're not sitting in a showroom with them waiting for you to walk before they start negotiating. Talk through the car, properly understand what you are buying, make him an offer and leave it. If you're being halfway sensible, they'll phone you back.

And we kinda knew what we were buying as well. If you are needing a test drive to see if you 'like' the car then an online purchase may not be for you...

Cinch was the Insignia debacle but they went and collected it, refunded my money plus the £250 I'd had to spend on it. Utter pain in the hole. Ended up buying a Kia from Dickson's in Inverness as was north at time.

I think unless you know what you're looking at with a car or have a diagnostics for any model you fancy it's pot luck. I've had particular bad luck but so far the Kia is doing fine. But MOT is due soon 🫣 

22 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I think the last half dozen cars we've had have been bought on the same basis for exactly the same reasons as you quote. Only last week Mrs a-p mkII's 3 year old A1 was delivered from Derby.

I'm not however a total cavalier, all have been bought under the manufacturer's Approved Used banner that, I think (and have so far been proven correct), guarantees a certain standard of car and preparation. Buying from an independent garage, or worse still Cazoo or similar - i think @RH33 has a story there somewhere - is just too much of a stretch and potential lottery for me. YMMV of course.

And there is a further argument that if you do decide to go look at it, if you are prepared to burn a day to go look at a car somewhere down the M6, I think it kinda torpedoes your negotiating position before you get there. The dealer knows you've seen the price on his car, you can't then low ball an offer having put in all that time and effort to get there and then blow a deal for £500/£1000. 

Dealing at a distance makes it - for me - much easier to be polite but firm about the best offer for the car. You're not sitting in a showroom with them waiting for you to walk before they start negotiating. Talk through the car, properly understand what you are buying, make him an offer and leave it. If you're being halfway sensible, they'll phone you back.

And we kinda knew what we were buying as well. If you are needing a test drive to see if you 'like' the car then an online purchase may not be for you...

Appreciate the response.

On the bold bit - the plan was to test drive some of the same models locally before actually ordering anything. But my worry was whether that’s enough “due diligence” compared to actually driving the one you’re buying.

I’m not very experienced in the whole malarkey as you can probably tell.

53 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Appreciate the response.

On the bold bit - the plan was to test drive some of the same models locally before actually ordering anything. But my worry was whether that’s enough “due diligence” compared to actually driving the one you’re buying.

If you’re needing to test drive then I think a distance purchase is maybe something of a leap. 

However if there’s a shortlist that you want to narrow down, go read some reviews from car journalists. If you’re focusing on one particular segment (eg hot hatches) then chances are somewhere there will be a head to head group test that will help immeasurably. These guys do it for a living and are an immeasurably bigger bore on the subject than even me. They know what they’re talking about  

The final piece of advice is, if you are buying from distance, don’t get the puny engine. It’ll inevitably be a disappointment. 

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

However if there’s a shortlist that you want to narrow down, go read some reviews from car journalists. If you’re focusing on one particular segment (eg hot hatches) then chances are somewhere there will be a head to head group test that will help immeasurably. These guys do it for a living and are an immeasurably bigger bore on the subject than even me. They know what they’re talking about.

Have a look at the owners club Facebook group or forum for the particular make/model of car you're looking at, there are some very knowledgeable people on them (along with some nutters) that can be a great place for advice on what to look for when buying. Speaking from experience the Suzuki Jimny one has been invaluable to me, both for advice pre purchase and re assurance post purchase! 

Edited by Psychedelic

16 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Appreciate the response.

Just accept that of you’re gonna purchase sight unseen, pictures are very easily taken from the best angles. That being said, a plethora of pictures can reassure you on the general condition of the vehicle. I just purchased a car on an online auction site, and that had the advantage of several knowledgeable people asking model specific questions during the auction and over 100 pictures to show condition. Even with an honest seller and lots of questions answered, there were a few surprises for me, but I had already accepted the fact that would happen.

If buying “remotely”, you never want to be paying top end of the market.

On 12/03/2024 at 12:05, eez-eh said:

First obvious thing to do is check out its MOT history.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

First obvious thing to do is check out its MOT history.

Question, for those with experience, is something like an HPI check worthwhile for used buyers in the UK? Carfax is the accepted standard in the U.S., but has been shown to be rather hit and miss on smaller accidents and stuff.

I think this all rather backs up my 'if buying at distance buy Approved Used' mantra. Yes, you are paying top dollar but - the hypothesis, so far proven in my experience - you are buying a well looked after car with no (ok, negligible) chance of any nasty surprises.

On 06/08/2023 at 20:39, RH33 said:

That cinch insignia was mine for two weeks. I came with issues. Then the engine management light came on.

Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. They're part of British Car Auctions, where the dealers ship off all stuff they can't put on forecourt.

catching up on this thread, but I did notice that car is still up for sale on their site 😂

Changing the wheel over after yet another pothole and stick the spare on.

Obviously overtightened the bugger as the lock nut sheared off and I'm left with this.

Assume this will be a pain in the arse to sort

IMG-20240315-WA0007.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Peil said:

Changing the wheel over after yet another pothole and stick the spare on.

Obviously overtightened the bugger as the lock nut sheared off and I'm left with this.

Assume this will be a pain in the arse to sort

IMG-20240315-WA0007.jpeg

You know anyone good with a welder?

If your lucks in then you can weld a nut on and slacken it off. If your lucks not it then youre needing a new wheel as it'll be brutalised to get that off.

We just remove them from Citreons/Renault now. Absolutely dogshit design and absolutely nobody is going to be stealing the wheel anyway.

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 14/03/2024 at 08:21, alta-pete said:

I think this all rather backs up my 'if buying at distance buy Approved Used' mantra. Yes, you are paying top dollar but - the hypothesis, so far proven in my experience - you are buying a well looked after car with no (ok, negligible) chance of any nasty surprises.

Add, “don’t buy a car from Birmingham”, eh?