Car advice

4 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Anyone gone electric?

Decided that if my insurance is going to be ridiculous anyway with a 7 year old car, I might as well get something newer and looking at going electric. 

Looking for something quite big, with a decent range. Tesla Model Y so far is the winner but open to consider others cause Musk is a p***k but I don't see any that really come close for the charging convenience and range.

Give serious consideration to hybrid or plug-in hybrid. The plug-in hybrids can be excellent choices IF you regularly plug them in, the best have 30-40 mile battery range, which is all most people need daily. Plain old hybrid works for me with no easy plug access, my Accord gets 41-46 U.S. mpg (which is 49.2-55.2 mpg UK) and I fill up with 10-11 gallons/38-41.8 litres every three weeks or so.

EV sales have stagnated, and manufacturers are starting to roll out more hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles in place of some of their EV offerings.

Moving on from the car insurance thread...polis have now got my car and say it's undamaged, though what the thieving gits have done to the engine and suspension is another matter.

Said thieving gits have almost certainly still got my key.  I've looked at reprogramming the key fob and it suggests that if I reset the key in the car, any other keys won't work unless I reset them at the same time.

Any takes on this?  I'll still be parking my car in the vicinity  of where it was nicked and don't want them using the key to get back in again.

32 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Moving on from the car insurance thread...polis have now got my car and say it's undamaged, though what the thieving gits have done to the engine and suspension is another matter.

Said thieving gits have almost certainly still got my key.  I've looked at reprogramming the key fob and it suggests that if I reset the key in the car, any other keys won't work unless I reset them at the same time.

Any takes on this?  I'll still be parking my car in the vicinity  of where it was nicked and don't want them using the key to get back in again.

Roll down the windows and put the heating on full blast 👍

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2024 at 09:03, RH33 said:

My cars due its MOT by 16th April, I'm psyching myself up for bankruptcy.

I expected you'd just buy another car with an already done MOT...

On 09/03/2024 at 15:03, RH33 said:

My cars due its MOT by 16th April, I'm psyching myself up for bankruptcy.

I don’t mean to be rude but everything has its price for a reason.

If you’re into £2/3k shitboxes, you are - self evidently- buying a £2/3k shitbox that’ll need £2/3k spent on it each year to keep it on the road. If you are, or know, a friendly mechanic then I can see the merit in that approach. As a Joe punter though, I reckon the industry sets you up to be fleeced.

A £10k shitbox still has the potential to drop a big bill but the odds are better in your favour. £20k, better odds still.

tl:dr - cars cost money. Thanks for reading. 

51 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I don’t mean to be rude but everything has its price for a reason.

If you’re into £2/3k shitboxes, you are - self evidently- buying a £2/3k shitbox that’ll need £2/3k spent on it each year to keep it on the road. If you are, or know, a friendly mechanic then I can see the merit in that approach. As a Joe punter though, I reckon the industry sets you up to be fleeced.

A £10k shitbox still has the potential to drop a big bill but the odds are better in your favour. £20k, better odds still.

tl:dr - cars cost money. Thanks for reading. 

Was more due to my luck with cars!

6 hours ago, RH33 said:

Was more due to my luck with cars!

Move to America and many states don't even inspect cars these days if you're outside a major metropolitan area. The result is all the shiteboxes other people on the road are driving.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Move to America and many states don't even inspect cars these days if you're outside a major metropolitan area. The result is all the shiteboxes other people on the road are driving.

Wow, I would have thought in murrica- the land of litigation, that driving an unroadworthy car wouldn't be the smartest strategy.

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Wow, I would have thought in murrica- the land of litigation, that driving an unroadworthy car wouldn't be the smartest strategy.

They are steadily removing inspection requirements across the U.S., as insane as that seems. Only major metro areas generally retain emissions inspections due to Federal requirements, but safety inspections were often rather lax anyway…toot the horn, check the lights, drive the car at 10 mph and see if the brakes “work”. The most onerous portion of an inspection these days is providing proof of auto liability insurance, which is (surprise, surprise) becoming more and more expensive.

A few states buck this trend, only 13 have literally no inspections, but it’s steadily spreading with Texas becoming the latest, and biggest, case of this insanity…following Florida’s lead.

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

They are steadily removing inspection requirements across the U.S., as insane as that seems. Only major metro areas generally retain emissions inspections due to Federal requirements, but safety inspections were often rather lax anyway…toot the horn, check the lights, drive the car at 10 mph and see if the brakes “work”. The most onerous portion of an inspection these days is providing proof of auto liability insurance, which is (surprise, surprise) becoming more and more expensive.

A few states buck this trend, only 13 have literally no inspections, but it’s steadily spreading with Texas becoming the latest, and biggest, case of this insanity…following Florida’s lead.

Texas...........what a feckin' shithole of a place.

Permitless carry - check.

No checks on automobiles - check.

Abortion illegal - check.

Sure I've missed loads.......fvck Texas.

On 07/02/2024 at 05:54, MP_MFC said:

Anyone gone electric?

Decided that if my insurance is going to be ridiculous anyway with a 7 year old car, I might as well get something newer and looking at going electric. 

Looking for something quite big, with a decent range. Tesla Model Y so far is the winner but open to consider others cause Musk is a p***k but I don't see any that really come close for the charging convenience and range.

Biggest issue with going electric is the eye watering depreciation. 

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

You have.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

If you park your white pickup truck at Walmart or basically anywhere, you'll never find it again without a military grade tracker.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Biggest issue with going electric is the eye watering depreciation. 

On the good side if you usually go short distances and can charge at home, you can pick up a second hand bargain that'll do the job. Longer journeys might require a considerable amount of planning and patience. I'm thinking more 5 year old Nissan Leaf than a Tesla though, the insurance for a Tesla is huge because if the battery gets damaged because it's a bit rainy it gets written off and the warranty doesn't cover it. 

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

On the good side if you usually go short distances and can charge at home, you can pick up a second hand bargain that'll do the job. Longer journeys might require a considerable amount of planning and patience. I'm thinking more 5 year old Nissan Leaf than a Tesla though, the insurance for a Tesla is huge because if the battery gets damaged because it's a bit rainy it gets written off and the warranty doesn't cover it. 

Aye sorry assumed you meant buying new. Used electric cars are a great buy at the moment. Have you considered a Renault Zoe?