Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Yeah I have been really surprised by the large number of No voters amongst the very vocal teenagers in my school. I have been really pleased at the way they have engaged with the whole thing but there have also been examples of them being very easily influenced as to how they will vote based on their parents, friends or what they have heard. We as teachers were given a few reminders as to our own conduct during the campaign so we haven't been able to engage with the kids as much as we could have.

My better half conducted a poll in one of her s4 classes and said that the level of knowledge the kids had was incredible. She was very, very impressed by it and the way they debated with each other. Some kids who she would never expect showing maturity and leadership in the debate.

Yeah I have been really surprised by the large number of No voters amongst the very vocal teenagers in my school. I have been really pleased at the way they have engaged with the whole thing but there have also been examples of them being very easily influenced as to how they will vote based on their parents, friends or what they have heard. We as teachers were given a few reminders as to our own conduct during the campaign so we haven't been able to engage with the kids as much as we could have.

This is a rather disturbing post.

Edited to add: Why the f**k would you expect 16-18 yo's not to be influenced by friends and parents? Your role, in this context, is to moderate rather than to, "to engage with the kids as much as we could have."

Edited by The_Kincardine

Are you allowed to correct claims that you know are clearly factually wrong? Must be difficult.

Agreed. For me, the key thing, if they don't win, would be to get 40%+ of the vote and show that that issue isn't going away. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Agree, will be hugely deflating but reckon once people get over the initial disappointment it will make them more determined, it wont go away as you say.

P+B always does this.

Early August: Poll released showing Yes down three points to something like 37%. Everyone says game over.

This month: YouGov poll drops back from 51% to 48%. Everyone says game over.

Yesterday: None of the polls put Yes ahead. Again, game over apparently.

And now we have this sample of, at most, 3000 people which only polls people who have already responded to YouGov surveys before. It is 0.07% of the registered electorate.

Between each of these examples Yes voters have gotten giddy. I don't know whether this is all an act but it's really premature if not.

Until it is physically impossible for Yes to reach the 50% mark I will not call it. My mother has already given up but I won't.

Are you allowed to correct claims that you know are clearly factually wrong? Must be difficult.

Well I did have to assure a group of S6s the other day that Russia wouldn't "invade Scotland" if we were independent, that seemed to be a rumour they latched onto. It has been a difficult couple of weeks, I mean there are pupils in my school that I trust and that I have taught for years so it felt so shit not really being able to actually speak to them about what is happening. Young people were given the vote to empower them and get them motivated to engage in politics yet they were not really allowed to hear much information from the place they spend most of their time.

Dundee would need to be 65%+ for Yes to have a chance. Anything less will show the silent voters have been much more prevalent for No than we thought, all but given up if I'm honest.

f**k.

Read that 65% was the magic number in Dundee, if reached Yes would win Nationally.

Well I did have to assure a group of S6s the other day that Russia wouldn't "invade Scotland" if we were independent, that seemed to be a rumour they latched onto. It has been a difficult couple of weeks, I mean there are pupils in my school that I trust and that I have taught for years so it felt so shit not really being able to actually speak to them about what is happening. Young people were given the vote to empower them and get them motivated to engage in politics yet they were not really allowed to hear much information from the place they spend most of their time.

It's been damn difficult as a business teacher - particularly when getting asked about the currency issues.

What I've tended to do is explain what the currency options are and to get the pupils to research the pros/cons of each. I think the only opinion I gave was that if there were independence then an independent currency was a distinct possibility in the long run.