The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Right, I can't wait any longer. It's defo AlanG1993, I ken it is.

It's time for the Diddly Dee Jamjar Trophy Quarter Finals.
A reminder of the ties :
Whiterosekillie v Blackislekilie

FrankieS v Welshbairn

The_Kincardine v alang1993 (see what I did there? [emoji6])

DeeJ v Jagfox99

As per usual, scores to be PM'd to myself no later than 9am Monday. I'm praying for no replays so we can do the Semi's on Wednesday.

http://www.quizwise.com/general-knowledge-quiz/2017-02-03
http://www.quizwise.com/general-knowledge-quiz/2017-02-06

Best of luck all!!

16 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

(I haven't really spat the dummy, I've just been busy all day. Hope to get the league updated before I get my jimjams on).

I'm in no rush to see the tables...

Alright chaps. Not yet got round to the league tables. I've had an idea rattling round my head for a while about how to liven up the league. 

What I propose is instead of the Aussie daily quiz, I fire together one for each weekday - similar to the quizzes I did for the later rounds of the Cup. 

Instead of just 10 general knowledge questions, each day will have a specific category (maybe broad stuff like History, or more specific stuff like Scottish Football). Each week, each team can choose from 1 of the week's 5 categories to play their joker where they get double points (if they don't choose one, they automatically get assigned the joker for the General Knowledge day on a Friday). Doing this would allow people to suggest their own categories, topics and / or questions, and also reduce the Aussie sports / pop culture guessathons (which is the only real drawback of the Aussie quiz). We could even move to a 2 / 4 week league, depending on peoples' opinions. 

Obviously, this will take a bit of effort on my part, but since I'm now without both a job and a burd, I have a lot more free time on my hands. And if all else fails, we still have the Aussie quiz to fall back on. I don't want to piss on anyone's bonfire (specifically Eednud) but it might be something to try, at least for a few weeks. 

Of course, one drawback would be that I can no longer participate in the league, but I don't mind at all. I'm pretty much a quizzing journeyman anyway - I've never averaged my scores in the league but I'm pretty sure it would be 5... I much prefer creating questions to answering them (and for me, it's a much better way to learn new stuff). And since Eck is managing the Diddly Dee Jam Jar Trophy with aplomb, I can still take part in that. 

If anyone thinks this is a terrible idea, let me know. But otherwise, shall we start Monday?

16 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Alright chaps. Not yet got round to the league tables. I've had an idea rattling round my head for a while about how to liven up the league. 

What I propose is instead of the Aussie daily quiz, I fire together one for each weekday - similar to the quizzes I did for the later rounds of the Cup. 

Instead of just 10 general knowledge questions, each day will have a specific category (maybe broad stuff like History, or more specific stuff like Scottish Football). Each week, each team can choose from 1 of the week's 5 categories to play their joker where they get double points (if they don't choose one, they automatically get assigned the joker for the General Knowledge day on a Friday). Doing this would allow people to suggest their own categories, topics and / or questions, and also reduce the Aussie sports / pop culture guessathons (which is the only real drawback of the Aussie quiz). We could even move to a 2 / 4 week league, depending on peoples' opinions. 

Obviously, this will take a bit of effort on my part, but since I'm now without both a job and a burd, I have a lot more free time on my hands. And if all else fails, we still have the Aussie quiz to fall back on. I don't want to piss on anyone's bonfire (specifically Eednud) but it might be something to try, at least for a few weeks. 

Might I suggest the following categories?

The history of Irish League football.

Marillion with Fish era.

Things that dwell in my underwear.

Tynieness's favourite perversions.

I am as out of the cup as I ever was, but a 5/7 in the first part, after I talked myself out of the TVR answer on the grounds that it was too obvious. A rather pathetic 2/7 in the second one, including getting Munch wrong. So much for my History of Art A Level?

Sorry for the late post, but I got 8/10 in Friday's League Quiz. Am I anywhere near contention for promotion? @Cardinal Richelieu

ETA: Stick to the Aussie Quiz League 

Maybe have a weekend league for the other quiz that can be done over a month.

Edited by Marr1

21 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Sorry for the late post, but I got 8/10 in Friday's League Quiz. Am I anywhere near contention for promotion? @Cardinal Richelieu

ETA: Stick to the Aussie Quiz League 

Maybe have a weekend league for the other quiz that can be done over a month.

Feck the Aussie quiz - their sportsmen and politicians kill me.

I think I prefer the Aussie questions... I'm used to it now! Plus it doesn't seem right that the Cardinal shouldn't be able to compete in his own quiz, it's also more work if he gets a job in the near future and unfair to expect him to spend hours every day on this.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Of course, one drawback would be that I can no longer participate in the league, but I don't mind at all. I'm pretty much a quizzing journeyman anyway - I've never averaged my scores in the league but I'm pretty sure it would be 5... I much prefer creating questions to answering them (and for me, it's a much better way to learn new stuff). And since Eck is managing the Diddly Dee Jam Jar Trophy with aplomb, I can still take part in that. 

If anyone thinks this is a terrible idea, let me know. But otherwise, shall we start Monday?

Go ahead Cardinal, but don't let Universal Credit know if you're in an area where they're doing their evil experiment, any time not proven to be jobseeking is sanctionable.

P.S. You could always slip the odd jobseeking related question in though to throw the b*****ds off the track.

Edited by welshbairn

35 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think I prefer the Aussie questions... I'm used to it now! Plus it doesn't seem right that the Cardinal shouldn't be able to compete in his own quiz, it's also more work if he gets a job in the near future and unfair to expect him to spend hours every day on this.

I've met him several times - who the feck would employ him?

On a more serious note, why don't we take it in turns to compile it? I would happily sit it out on sporadic weeks and compile five night's worth of questions. It would also mix it up a bit and change things up.