Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 10/03/2021 at 07:25, coprolite said:

I don't know what the acting is like on money heist, but usually for films there are proper, well cast actors doing the original language and it's in keeping with the tone that the director wants. The dubbing voice actors all sound like they're voicing over American home video compilations on itv3 and make the whole thing sound like shit. 

Most films aren't wordy enough to take up a lot of time reading. I usually stop noticing subtitles after about 5 minutes. 

Yep. I've seen a few foreign films back in the day that I'd thought were pants, only to later see them in the original language, and it's amazing the difference it makes to hear the original actors delivering the dialogue. Changes the atmosphere completely.

Thankfully the age of DVD made it much easier to get hold of subtitled versions; in the VHS era, you just ate your cereal.

35 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yep. I've seen a few foreign films back in the day that I'd thought were pants, only to later see them in the original language, and it's amazing the difference it makes to hear the original actors delivering the dialogue. Changes the atmosphere completely.

Thankfully the age of DVD made it much easier to get hold of subtitled versions; in the VHS era, you just ate your cereal.

I remember watching kung fu films in the 90s that seened like broad farce when dubbed but mystical epics in the original (cantonese?). 

It does seem that subtitles are more common these days on the telly.  I think you're right that the choice is an improvement. Some people do prefer dubbing so they should get the option too. What works for me isn't objectively right. 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Catching up on this today.

Jed Mercurio loves a bent copper, doesn't he?

Aye , this certainly has his thumbprint all over it . It's a wee warm to the return of LOD  

On 11/01/2021 at 15:27, The Naitch said:

Just caught up on the first episode. Enjoying the head teacher from Derry Girls as the new presenter. Already better than Sara Cox and Melanie Sykes from previous years.

Keith greets at the least wee thing so I see that’s not changed either. Good to have it back.

It's the final tonight.

Not the line up I expected as I thought Sal was nailed on to win the whole competition. Can't pick a winner from the three that's left so going to enjoy the final for what it is.

On 14/03/2021 at 20:03, The Naitch said:

It's the final tonight.

Not the line up I expected as I thought Sal was nailed on to win the whole competition. Can't pick a winner from the three that's left so going to enjoy the final for what it is.

Wonderful series. Jodie deserved it for her final make. Brilliant programme. Hella gay as well

Have just started watching Ted Lasso. the chairwoman is the "SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!" woman from GoT and the long haired reporter is the hotel employee from I'm Alan Partridge.

And, ETA, it was bugging me where I'd seen Ted Lasso before, the actor played Floyd in 30 rock.

Edited by Arch Stanton

On 10/03/2021 at 02:34, GordonD said:

I got the 'central points of each UK country' on Clue Two. 

My all-time favourite Only Connect question was this: 

1 - Central Line

2 - Circle Line

3 - District Line

4 - ?

Reveal hidden contents

Answer is 4 - Bakerloo Line. It's the colour of each line on the Tube map equated to that colour's value in snooker.

Mornington Crescent?

On 09/03/2021 at 13:18, TheScarf said:

I'm on my 2nd watch through of Money Heist on Netflix.  Just started part 4 and it's as good as I remember.

With that, I saw someone on Twitter a few months back saying if you watch it with the English dub over then you're an idiot and you need to watch it in Spanish with subtitles.

Surely it's the other way around?  Why the f**k would I want to be glued to the bottom of the screen having to read what's going on?

the quality or acting range of the dubbers (what is the common term for them) is generally awful and it often detracts from the quality of the show/movie. 

Its actually a wider discussion point. As I understand , certain dubbers in Italy and France are famous in their own right for providing a voice to say a Stallone. They become synonymous with the actor they are providing a distinctive voice to. They are generally actors in their own right but not that big  but have acting ability. It is a completely different approach and audiences presumably react/interpret dubbing differently in other countries than the English speaking countries do. 

On 15/03/2021 at 22:16, Gianfranco said:

Unforgotten is class.

This. The second series is some of the most gripping telly I've witnessed in years (after a slow start). The Scottish boy with the white hair has a scene with Nicola Walker's character near the end that had me absolutely bawling. Incredible acting.

Currently I'm watching "his dark materials" which is utterly fantastic, wonderfully cast and superbly acted. I started watching it for Dafne Keen as I loved her Logan, but f**k me Ruth Wilson puts in one of the best performances I've ever seen. She's superb.

Speaking of BBC News

My alarm for work goes at 5:50 in the morning. I put BBC News on and the programme that's on finishes at 5:55 before the weather then Breakfast starting. At 5:53 they start a new story and get some poor b*****d on to talk about it on webcam. They get asked two questions then get cut off before they finish saying anything of note. Why bother?

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Speaking of BBC News

My alarm for work goes at 5:50 in the morning. I put BBC News on and the programme that's on finishes at 5:55 before the weather then Breakfast starting. At 5:53 they start a new story and get some poor b*****d on to talk about it on webcam. They get asked two questions then get cut off before they finish saying anything of note. Why bother?

They do that all the time on good morning Scotland on radio Scotland too. Couple minutes before the news comes on, interviewer just about finished asking the question and the news bed is already starting up. 

We Are What We Are. On BBC but it’s an Italian/HBO/Sky Atlantic production. 

14 y/o boy moves with his mum and her wife to a US army base near Venice. He’s a cool (in his eyes), hip New Yorker, but struggles to fit in. Coming of age drama with some quite challenging behaviour (even for a Fifer his relationship with his mum, Cloe Sevigny, is odd).

Beautifully shot, slow-paced study on various themes. People (not just the teens) working out their sexuality, Trump coming to power is in the background, American attitudes abroad, and some tremendous Euro disco tunes.

Agreed, the reactions of the punters when they see their family treasures restored is quite emotional. I remember one guy, an old rocker, who brought in an old jukebox - it had been in the pub where he had his wedding reception decades earlier (his wife was now dead) and when they got it working and played the song they'd had their first dance to he was in floods of tears. Wasn't far off them myself.