Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 11/07/2023 at 22:26, Arch Stanton said:

The World at War (UK TV Play).

Yeah, I've got the DVD box set but who watches DVDs anymore?

50 years on and it's still a landmark documentary series. That so much of the war was filmed is astonishing and the editing is phenomenal.

Larry's narration is also no bad. 

I've seen so many individual episodes over the past, what, forty years? Always compelling, but I've never seen them in any kind of order.

I figure it's worth owning, and I've seen it going for as little as £25 on Blu-Ray, so I'm going to pick it up and watch it properly at some point when I have more money.

Edit: I'm not even into WWII stuff, it's just an excellent work.

Edited by BTFD

5 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Binged series 1 of The Bear in two days. Outstanding TV. 

Watched first 3 episodes this week. Don't know how as its unwatchable even with subtitles. Surely actual Americans don't speak and act like that!?!

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

As a bit of a sci fi nerd, i'd quite like to see the tv adaptation of foundation but it's on apple tv which i don't have. 

Is it any good? 

If i was to fork out for apple, is there anything else worth watching on there? 

Check and see, sometimes apple tv+ will give you 3 months free subscription, as long as you remember to cancel before the 3 months is up.

47 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Check and see, sometimes apple tv+ will give you 3 months free subscription, as long as you remember to cancel before the 3 months is up.

I am shite at cancelling subscriptions. I'd the New York Times for about 18 months because i watched one thing on it. 

But cheers , i'll look into it 

On 13/07/2023 at 11:17, Salvo Montalbano said:

Feel I must be missing something as I've tried Always Sunny and gave up pretty quickly. 

Aye that's probably why. S1 has a very different feel to it. I always recommend people to start from S2 and go back and watch S1, only then do you really appreciate it. 

It took me about 3 attempts to get into Always Sunny but I'm glad I stuck with it as it's comfortably the funniest show I've ever seen. Similarly it took me a while to get into Trailer Park Boys and again I'm glad I stuck with it as it makes No. 2 on my list. 

Don't normally watch daytime TV. But today I have Homes Under the Hammer on. 

This is made for people with traumatic brain injuries. Show a bit of footage, and 10 minutes later show it again with a voice over explaining what was literally just said. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

This is made for people with traumatic brain injuries. Show a bit of footage, and 10 minutes later show it again with a voice over explaining what was literally just said. 

This is happening more and more, particularly on shows split up into parts for Ads.

Part 1 : Here's what's coming up/some content/more what's coming up

Part 2 : Review of what you've just seen/some content/more what's coming up.

Repeat as necessary. 

Usually about 25 mins of actual content in a 1 hour slot.

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

This is happening more and more, particularly on shows split up into parts for Ads.

Repeat as necessary. 

Hell’s Kitchen USA is the worst I’ve seen but American shows in general do this a lot. 
 The Hell’s Kitchen ones double down on the pointlessness by making unrealistic promises that you know are going to be unrealistic.

“You won’t believe what’s going to happen in tonight’s explosive show! *shot of fire engine with sirens on* When the heat gets too hot, who will melt *shot of fat lady shouting angrily * and who will blow up? *shot of gormless man in bandana waving knife* The situation goes critical *shot of fat lady being attended by paramedic*  on tonight’s crazy *man with goatee ranting*  incendiary *flames* Hell’s Kitchen.

They make pancakes for the fire brigade and shout at each other. Fat lady needs a plaster on an ingrown toenail.

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Repeat as necessary. 

And sometimes 'what's coming up' isn't actually shown until Part Three, so it gets previewed twice.

On 16/07/2023 at 19:53, coprolite said:

As a bit of a sci fi nerd, i'd quite like to see the tv adaptation of foundation but it's on apple tv which i don't have. 

Is it any good? 

If i was to fork out for apple, is there anything else worth watching on there? 

Bad Sisters is very good. Sharon Horgan stars in this and it has the horrific character of JP, one of the best / worst creations I’ve encountered on TV. We watched all 10 episodes last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Watched the most recent series of Race Across the World there. Hilarious. Featuring both the most heartwarming father-daughter relationship and the most toxic father-daughter relationship. 

Now watching the previous series where they are going through South America. 

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Watched the most recent series of Race Across the World there. Hilarious. Featuring both the most heartwarming father-daughter relationship and the most toxic father-daughter relationship. 

Now watching the previous series where they are going through South America. 

Found the last series tedious tbh.interested in seeing the physical journey they're on,not their relationship journey

On 17/07/2023 at 12:12, scottsdad said:

Improbably ascribed to Aristotle:  "Tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them and tell them what you've told them."  I assume this is not your own didactic method.

On 17/07/2023 at 12:12, scottsdad said:

Only time i've seen this is in the hospital waiting room, and even then i try not to look at it too much, but it's either that or looking at a wall, the floor, or someone sitting opposite, which is awkward when they catch your eye and both of us quickly look away at something else. Daytime telly is best avoided at all cost.

Watched Flog It recently. It's a joyous wee program and the lad who presents it is an utterly lovely man who excels at making everyone feel welcome by being delighted and fascinated by them and the stuff they've brought to auction.

Fantastic telly.