F1 2014

deano67

It seems inconceivable that 20 years have passed since that dreadful weekend at Imola. I can clearly remember watching Grandstand on the Saturday and them cutting into the programme for a special announcement (the BBC didn't show qualifying in those days). Cue a very sombre looking Murray Walker giving the news that Roland Ratzenberger had died.

I suppose he's very much the forgotten man of that weekend, given what happened 24 hours later. Roland was a bloody good driver and had worked his entire adult life to achieve his ambition of driving in a Grand Prix (which he finally achieved two weeks before Imola). I'd been aware of him in touring cars, WEC and Japanese F3000. He naturally stood out because of his name, but always seemed to take any reference to it in good humour. I never had the pleasure of meeting him although I did speak to his mother a few times. I have no idea if his parents are still alive but my thoughts are with them today. It was a huge blow to them and I believe they moved to a new apartment which Roland had been given the keys to on the Saturday morning at Imola.

On a positive note Roland's accident greatly influenced the FIA's safety programme (they were particularly alarmed by the side impact which I seem to remember punched a big hole in the monocoque). Now we have a generation of fans and drivers who have never experienced a fatality. I'm sure some others on here of a certain vintage have their own memories of what happened.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Simtek was a fabulous looking car (although that may just be because I like purple):

tmk0413ap03-640x426.jpg

I distinctly remember my brother (no doubt due to the immaturity of youth) saying that day it was a shame it had happened to them as a bigger, more established team would perhaps be able to cope with it more. 24 hours later... :(

The Simtek was a fabulous looking car (although that may just be because I like purple):

tmk0413ap03-640x426.jpg

I distinctly remember my brother (no doubt due to the immaturity of youth) saying that day it was a shame it had happened to them as a bigger, more established team would perhaps be able to cope with it more. 24 hours later... :(

Back then we thought the cars were so safe, but looking at that pic it is clear just how exposed the head and neck were. Not that cockpit padding would have saved Roland. The impact was absolutely massive, caused by a small mistake he'd made on the previous lap when he ran off the track.

Wasn't the MTV deal a bit peculiar. I'm not sure any money was involved, but they gave Simtek advertising time they could then give to other sponsors.

Back then we thought the cars were so safe, but looking at that pic it is clear just how exposed the head and neck were. Not that cockpit padding would have saved Roland. The impact was absolutely massive, caused by a small mistake he'd made on the previous lap when he ran off the track.

Wasn't the MTV deal a bit peculiar. I'm not sure any money was involved, but they gave Simtek advertising time they could then give to other sponsors.

The Simtek deal was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard a former MTV executive was joining Rangers a few months back!

It seems inconceivable that 20 years have passed since that dreadful weekend at Imola. I can clearly remember watching Grandstand on the Saturday and them cutting into the programme for a special announcement (the BBC didn't show qualifying in those days). Cue a very sombre looking Murray Walker giving the news that Roland Ratzenberger had died.

I suppose he's very much the forgotten man of that weekend, given what happened 24 hours later. Roland was a bloody good driver and had worked his entire adult life to achieve his ambition of driving in a Grand Prix (which he finally achieved two weeks before Imola). I'd been aware of him in touring cars, WEC and Japanese F3000. He naturally stood out because of his name, but always seemed to take any reference to it in good humour. I never had the pleasure of meeting him although I did speak to his mother a few times. I have no idea if his parents are still alive but my thoughts are with them today. It was a huge blow to them and I believe they moved to a new apartment which Roland had been given the keys to on the Saturday morning at Imola.

On a positive note Roland's accident greatly influenced the FIA's safety programme (they were particularly alarmed by the side impact which I seem to remember punched a big hole in the monocoque). Now we have a generation of fans and drivers who have never experienced a fatality. I'm sure some others on here of a certain vintage have their own memories of what happened.

Judging by this piece they are: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/30/sport/motorsport/roland-ratzenberger-death-anniversary/index.html

Thanks for that. Nice to know they're still around. This is quite an interesting article;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10796725/ayrton-senna-death-inside-story-imola.html

That piece also mentions the Barrichello crash on the Friday, one which is (unsurprisingly) almost completely forgotten in light of the other two accidents, but was damn close to being a 3rd fatality in the one weekend.

That piece also mentions the Barrichello crash on the Friday, one which is (unsurprisingly) almost completely forgotten in light of the other two accidents, but was damn close to being a 3rd fatality in the one weekend.

Barrichello got lucky. I remember the Italian marshals enthusiastically flipping his car over. Luckily he didn't have any neck or spinal injuries. Another car went into the barriers there heavily in practice. A Larrousse maybe? Think he flew in backwards after hitting the kerb. In the race Brabham retired at the last corner in the other Simtek after suffering complete steering failure. Luckily it didn't happen at the next corner, which was Tamburello.

My tribute to Roland Ratzenburger 20 years on from his death is this where both he and Philippe Favre were the class of the field, also a belated tribute to Philippe Favre as well who died last December in a skiing accident.

I see in this a young JJ Lehto and future Mika Hakkinen manager Steve Robertson are also competing

Philippe Favre, there's a blast from the past. He was fairly decent in F3 and F3000 too. The Formula Ford Festival was amazing back then. A few years before Senna cleared off back to Brazil and Tommy Byrne used his car to win the festival.

1986 was also the year (I think) that arguably the greatest of all the young talents around at the time died after apparently hitting ice during testing. Kudos to anyone who knows who I'm on about. He was very, very highly rated by those who saw him.

Philippe Favre, there's a blast from the past. He was fairly decent in F3 and F3000 too. The Formula Ford Festival was amazing back then. A few years before Senna cleared off back to Brazil and Tommy Byrne used his car to win the festival.

1986 was also the year (I think) that arguably the greatest of all the young talents around at the time died after apparently hitting ice during testing. Kudos to anyone who knows who I'm on about. He was very, very highly rated by those who saw him.

Was this Bertrand Fabi?

Was this Bertrand Fabi?

Well done sir! If I knew how to give you a greenie on my phone I would.

I'd love to know more about him but there's not a whole load of info out there. I do know Dick Bennetts rated him alongside Senna in terms of talent. I think he won 3 Formula Ford titles in his first year in Europe?

Decided to go to Montmelo (barcelona) for the race next weekend so got booked up tonight :)

Also got tickets for espanyol on the sunday night so shaping up for a good w/end

Archived