2014 holidays/travel plans

doulikefish

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted to report that the canal boating was sensational.

Its a really relaxing holiday. Aside from Friday night, the weather was brilliant. Had a good meal in a pub called the Wharf on the Friday, then took it easy and pushed on through Saturday. Getting the hang of the locks very much passed the time with the usual card games and music etc. On Sunday we navigated the Blisworth tunnel which was a lot of fun, singing various football chants, chart hits and national anthems all the way through the two miles underground.

Would highly recommend it as its a great and relaxing way to see the country. Helming is simple and easy and believe it or not theres plenty of space on the boat. The beds were a little restrictive for my 6ft 4in stature though, which was one of the only low points.

For £105 plus whatever it was for food etc for the weekend it was well worth it. Would love to try it in Scotland but I fear I'd be taking my life into my own hands going West from Falkirk, and not sure where the east would take me.

Was going to be going to Kavos but had too much on with trips already, London for the Nigeria game for 3 days late May, Amsterdam/Dusseldorf for 4 days for the Germany game and Poland for 4 days for the Poland game, canna wait!!

Barcelona for a week at the end of the month (with work). Vegas and Riviera Maya for two weeks in the summer. Villarreal in oct for 6 days (again, with work) then a 4 night stag in Malaga for a stag, again in October.

Going to New York (4 nights), Vegas (4 nights) and Orlando (5 nights) at the end of the month. Can't wait. Sight Seeing, Broadway play, eating, drinking and a bit of shopping in New York, partying, gambling, eating and drinking with a couple of shows (Beatles Cirque Du Soleil "one" booked so far) thrown in during Vegas and then Universal Theme Parks in Orlando with a round of golf for me and Spa afternoon for her at the hotel, plus a shed load of eating and drinking.

Staying at the Affinia in Manhattan in New York, MGM Grand in Vegas and the Waldorff Astoria in Orlando, all look amazing. Very, very excited, although I am definitely going to need pre-season when we get back.

Going to New York (4 nights), Vegas (4 nights) and Orlando (5 nights) at the end of the month. Can't wait. Sight Seeing, Broadway play, eating, drinking and a bit of shopping in New York, partying, gambling, eating and drinking with a couple of shows (Beatles Cirque Du Soleil "one" booked so far) thrown in during Vegas and then Universal Theme Parks in Orlando with a round of golf for me and Spa afternoon for her at the hotel, plus a shed load of eating and drinking.

Staying at the Affinia in Manhattan in New York, MGM Grand in Vegas and the Waldorff Astoria in Orlando, all look amazing. Very, very excited, although I am definitely going to need pre-season when we get back.

The show is called "Love" ;)

Absolutely brilliant CDS show. I'd watch it again. Enjoy.

The show is called "Love" ;)

Absolutely brilliant CDS show. I'd watch it again. Enjoy.

Ah, f**k yeah, that's right. Very much looking forward to it, even if I can't remember the name of it ("One" is the Michael Jackson one it turns out) :lol:

Fancying going to see Penn & Teller or someone like that whilst we'e there too, although will likely just play that by ear instead of booking tickets in advance.

This holiday sounds fucking amazing. Extremely jealous but enjoy yourself.

How was snowbombing? I live about a half an hour drive from Mayrhofen but never really been interested in going.

Brilliant. The whole town is chaos from mid afternoon until 6am when everything all dies down. I'll be going back next year providing my shifts allow it.

• 2 weeks later...

Think I'll be setting a personal record this year for flights. Already 10 flights this year, 1 week in turkey, 1 week in Egypt, plus flights from Sharm to Cairo and back for a day (flights from Inverness and connecting in London is decent but means you rack up 4 flights per holiday). I've got a long weekend in Germany at a beer festival with some mates in June, (not so easy to get there - 3 flights there, 3 back), plus a business trip in June to Manchester. 18 flights in the first 6 months. Not sure what I'm doing in the second half of the year yet, the missus wants to go away for Christmas (I'm not so keen) and we're supposed to be going to Paris for New Year. Probably only manage one other trip somewhere in between.

Must admit, I'm more jealous of the folks heading to Vegas though. Love Vegas. I could quite easily live in Caesars. Would like to see a different CDS next time though, saw Mystere at Treasure Island last time. Also, heard good things about Absinthe. Spent most of my time getting pissed on complimentary drinks while gambling though.

Is there a limit to what you need to be gambling in order to get free drinks?

No but tip your waitress well and she will ensure you have a full glass

By well, how much are you talking? $5 a drink or more?

I chuck the lassie a $50 at the beginning and tell her to keep them coming,it usually works :lol:

Malta for a week, flying from Gatwick on the 1st July. Spending a day and a half in London each way. Wanted to look at Morocco first but Malta looked more convenient and, probably, a better place for a holiday.

I was only tipping a dollar or two each time, but they're not stupid. One night I was in a marathon blackjack session (6 hours or something - I eventually lost all the winnings but kept my original stake), but they started coming thick and fast then, and the drunker I got and the more I won, the more I tipped. My last memory was ordering a double "scotch" (they didn't have and gave me Jamieson's instead) and a corona and tipping her a fistful of chips. I have no idea how much.

But yeah, they'll even give you the free booze if you're time wasting on a one cent slot machine.

Archived