The Alloa Athletic Thread

Jim may be inexperienced as a manager but he along with Gary Teale were first team coaches under Tommy Craig in the Premiership. He was also involved in taking the U20's (who are relatively successful often finishing above Premiership teams in the U20 League). He is quite a charismatic character and very popular (and maybe opinionated) and is a born leader and winner. He has all his coaching badges and his ambition is to manage. And besides that he is still a great player and captain playing every week. His dual role, drive, enthusiasm, and experience would be a good asset to Alloa in my opinion. I do not know who he was up against but a player/manager would a good fit for Alloa for this season I would think.

Good Luck Jim (Captain Fantastic) Goodwin i hope he does a good job for Alloa hopefully for you guys it lessens the impact of Ross leaving.

Was he coaching with Alloa or just playing this season??

I may be making this up but I'm sure he was coaching some of the youth teams now and again.

15 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Always an element of risk with an untried manager in particular, but I'm happy with this appointment. As a few posters have already said he is a great leader on the field and we must hope he can have a similar influence away from the pitch. Should also bring continuity which is a positive, we have a good team and didn't need someone coming in and trying to make loads of changes. None of the names linked particularly excited me anyway. Good luck Jim :)

^^^ this.

I don't think we were liable to get Darren Young; you'd think he would be looking to step up to a full-time club for his next role. Aside from that, Mark Burchill? Ye Gods.

Aye congrats to Goody, a true club legend at St Mirren. He's an articulate fella and a proper gentleman too. No idea if he be will a good manager of course, but good luck.

Goody spoke on Sportsound tonight well but it was what the pundits said after that impressed me most. Very complimentary of him as a person & of his knowledge of football. Said he'd come in to pundit (no matter if it was 5 minutes, 10 minutes or 1 hour) with tons of notes, always fully prepared. The guy oozes class and even with his hardman status, off the field he is not like that and can take young boys aside & work with them etc.

Exciting Times...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...