The Alloa Athletic Thread

11 hours ago, Waspie said:

He's said that a number of times since coming to Alloa too, although there were a few occasions last season when we did go with something very like a 4-2-3-1. 

I said this a few times last season too, but the idea that 2 up front is automatically more attacking than 1 is flawed. Perhaps the most attacking Alloa side I've seen (perhaps) was the Jack Ross team with Spence at the top and Cawley, Flannigan and Kirkpatrick behind. They had a huge goalscoring threat and were absolutely terrific to watch. The subsequent Goodwin teams in the same shape with slightly different personnel were also very good. Those were more effective attacking Alloa teams than last year with 2 up front in Sammon and MacIver. I do feel we are currently blessed with very good creative options for a 3 behind a striker and that we could potentially be as good as anyone in the league with that kind of shape. 

That said, those creative players can obviously also flourish in other formations, just need to ensure we get another really decent attacker (at least 1) if we're going with 2. Although - and this was mentioned last night on comms and last season here - we could also play Kev up with Sammon and he would do well, better than at RB! And that's perhaps the most fundamental point, play men in something like their natural roles whenever possible. The first leg against Accies was one of our best performances with key men deployed in their strongest positions. 

Peter Grant tried the midfield diamond and messed around with the back 3/5...then realised 4-2-3-1 suited us best and reverted back. 

It looks as if Brian Rice will rigidly stick to the 3 centre backs unless tweaking the formation during a game- and I guess Taggart and Devenny should push on through that setup. 

Suspect he would go with:

Morrison

Mackay-Neill-Devine

Taggart-Hetherington-Virtanen-Devenny

Scougall

Donnelly-Sammon

Which looks fairly strong, but this would also be grand:

Morrison

Taggart-Devine-Neill-Devenny

Hetherington-Virtanen

Cawley-Donnelly-Scougall

Sammon

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Peter Grant tried the midfield diamond and messed around with the back 3/5...then realised 4-2-3-1 suited us best and reverted back. 

It looks as if Brian Rice will rigidly stick to the 3 centre backs unless tweaking the formation during a game- and I guess Taggart and Devenny should push on through that setup. 

Suspect he would go with:

Morrison

Mackay-Neill-Devine

Taggart-Hetherington-Virtanen-Devenny

Scougall

Donnelly-Sammon

Which looks fairly strong, but this would also be grand:

Morrison

Taggart-Devine-Neill-Devenny

Hetherington-Virtanen

Cawley-Donnelly-Scougall

Sammon

I'd be happy with that first team too, if we got something like that on the park regularly and really let it settle we'd do well (with a pacy attacking option added as well). 

Mike standing down as chairman.

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/2023/07/14/mike-mulraney-steps-down-as-chairman/

Probably felt the time was right given he has taken on the SFA Presidency, which is the reasoning he gives in the blurb.

Wouldn't expect it will have much impact, if any, on what we fans see and I imagine if there are any major decisions then Mike will be fully consulted on those. Is he not still the major/only shareholder?

Had a look at Andy Allan's LinkedIn profile and he certainly seems to be an individual with loads of commercial/financial experience. 

52 minutes ago, printer said:

Mike standing down as chairman.

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/2023/07/14/mike-mulraney-steps-down-as-chairman/

Probably felt the time was right given he has taken on the SFA Presidency, which is the reasoning he gives in the blurb.

Wouldn't expect it will have much impact, if any, on what we fans see and I imagine if there are any major decisions then Mike will be fully consulted on those. Is he not still the major/only shareholder?

Had a look at Andy Allan's LinkedIn profile and he certainly seems to be an individual with loads of commercial/financial experience. 

I'd imagine not much change printer and he should still be majority shareholder by some distance. He will still be running the show, albeit less operational (I suspect).

Back in the Hopkins/Lawlor days they regularly rotated the role of chairman, but Mike was still the main decision maker.

The podcast is back for the new season and we kick things off with a 90 minute special!

We take a look at the new arrivals in this transfer window and at a couple of the departures from last season.

We then have a special guest appearance from one of the squad before looking ahead to the Viaplay Cup games.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

8 hours ago, printer said:

Experienced and from the pic on the club site looks in good shape and well placed to form a partnership with Sammo - perhaps our search for another striker is over.

aa-chairman-1024x894_edit_476715253664758.thumb.jpg.7989e3d828b7e0cf31b9ca8b7a104d4a.jpg

Hopefully Mike will still be very much involved and I'm sure that will be the case. Fans might not agree with everything he does but nobody can credibly say he hasn't been hugely positive for Alloa. 

Decent run out against Celtic B. Guessing the best of them are away with the first team squad.

Virtanen continues to look good. Trialist GK didn't have much to do, best save was from Devennys poor passback.

Roberts looked good when he came on.

Any idea who number 9 was? Heard players call him Max. Didn't really get much of a chance to show what he could do though.

That's the first game I've caught since Cumbernauld. Obviously a casual run out, but we looked much better and it seems promising.

Not sure if I'll get to many games this season, but fingers crossed for an entertaining year for everyone else. The YouTube channel's still excellent  :thumsup2

55 minutes ago, Rory said:

Any idea who number 9 was? Heard players call him Max. Didn't really get much of a chance to show what he could do though.

Well I have his name and I'm none the wiser who he is. He has one match report from Harrow Borough I could find which was a 5 minute sub appearance at the end of the game.

On the goalkeeper - He was good. Could definitely see him doing a job, quick off his line and proactive. I'm sold.

I thought we played well today. Enjoyed the game.

Not sure how close that was to a first choice eleven for Celtic B, but it was certainly encouraging from an Alloa viewpoint. 

Deveney again looked good going forwards, by far Luke Rankine's best game, Rodden looked lively and was starting to get on the end of long balls forward.

Otherwise defenders and midfield were all solid as expected.

Good to see Scougs get on the scoresheet. He doesn't get the goals his talent deserves, but if pushed forward he really should be contributing a decent amount.

It was interesting in the podcast that Stevie H said he doesn't set targets for himself, e.g. goals scored. As we know, we could be doing with more goals from midfield and I'd like to think Chipper is challenging the midfielders to achieve that, and I include even the "holding midfielders" in that.

Edited by printer

Took Alloa in yesterday to tick off my bucket list of grounds i've not been to in 5 or 6 decades.

Fair play to Alloa it ticked all my boxes.

Friendly enough folk in the 200ish? crowd.

Plenty of seats for that level and cover on 3 sides. Catering good plus obviously more available for a bigger crowd.

Station about one bus stop away and excellent service to and from Glasgow.

Did notice though Alloa charge £18 for a normal league match!!!

Would i pay £18 to watch Alloa, afraid not, sorry.

49 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Took Alloa in yesterday to tick off my bucket list of grounds i've not been to in 5 or 6 decades.

Plenty of seats for that level and cover on 3 sides. Catering good plus obviously more available for a bigger crowd.

Unfortunately that admission price is pretty much the going rate for majority of teams in the division.

Glad you enjoyed the visit.

See Rice said in the paper he's still hoping to get a couple of bodies in. Guessing one would be a striker and maybe another defender.

Don't think we'll sign him, but haven't seen Murray Miller sign for anyone after he got released. Not seen Kingy sign for anyone either, guessing he was just training with us to keep his fitness up?

2 hours ago, Rory said:

See Rice said in the paper he's still hoping to get a couple of bodies in. Guessing one would be a striker and maybe another defender.

Don't think we'll sign him, but haven't seen Murray Miller sign for anyone after he got released. Not seen Kingy sign for anyone either, guessing he was just training with us to keep his fitness up?

Yeah, would imagine at least one is a striker. Might depend on the actual quality of player he can get whether he brings in another defender or not.

Was interesting Virtanen got put into a back three yesterday and I think he's played there in the past. Of the rest of the midfielders Robbo, Stevie H and Kev have all played full back previously (yes, I know) and I'm sure Rice wouldn't hesitate to use Roberts there.

Personally I'd like to see two quality strikers come in. Of course getting the desired quality is very difficult - it's the thing most teams are looking for as they know it can make or break your season. 

Fingers crossed.

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

6 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Unfortunately that admission price is pretty much the going rate for majority of teams in the division.

Glad you enjoyed the visit.

Pretty much this. You're not really paying £18 to watch "Alloa", you're paying £18 to watch a League 1 match. 

45 minutes ago, waspie13 said:

Looking forward to the game tonight but I think it is shocking charging £18 at the gate 🐝

Completely agree, Stirling Albion asked for reduced prices, probably similar to the £13 they charged against Ayr on Saturday. Been to loads of other grounds for League Cup ties and the entrance fee was reduced from there normal prices.

3 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Completely agree, Stirling Albion asked for reduced prices, probably similar to the £13 they charged against Ayr on Saturday. Been to loads of other grounds for League Cup ties and the entrance fee was reduced from there normal prices.

Maybe the new chairman will look into this?

Screenshot_2023-07-12_135645~2.jpg