The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, Oweny said:

A brilliant display last night. We certainly have the forwards to trouble anyone in the play offs . Top drawer middle to front just now. Miko and Roberts are a brilliant midfield pairing. Superb. 

I worry about the defence though. 

Agree with this. Only caveat is the ability to "keep ball" when required. Not sure LD is worth his place just now but Andy is getting it so right generally just need to trust him.

7 minutes ago, Waspie said:

It was a great night at Cove and what a brilliant goal to seal the play-off place, even if we made it harder than it maybe needed to be! 

I was really disillusioned with the previous manager. I'm not so bothered about whether or not Alloa are winning or losing as long as we have someone in charge of the football side who has a clear plan about getting the best out of what they have, with a well organised and committed side on the park. Even as a novice manager Andy has had that pretty much right from the start. His team isn't perfect but everyone knows what they're doing, they are pulling together and when it works they are playing some lovely football. You couldn't ask for more. 

Obviously going to be a big job in the summer to replace the rather fantastic loan players - whatever league we're in - but will be fun to see how Andy approaches it. Have absolute faith in him to work well with whoever he brings in. Not even that bothered about going up as that would make for a really big rebuild but great to make the play-offs and absolutely no pressure on us now, can just go and have a real crack at it. 

Well done to everyone involved, it's been a terrific few months. 

You should have said. 😉

Seriously though it's such a pleasure to watch the team now. It's improved generally in its structure, organisation and attitude but clearly the play of Wales, Steven and, to a lesser extent, Sutherland is a joy to watch. 

That second goal last night was top notch, Kurtis (what a success he's been) doing what he does then Bobby and Taylor taking over and ripping Cove a new one in three passes and a classy finish. 

Steven Craigen was full of praise for the team and Andy G. Great to see Bobby and Andy interviewed. Andy of course coming across very well. Proud to be an Alloa fan watching it.

51 minutes ago, printer said:

Agree with this. Only caveat is the ability to "keep ball" when required. Not sure LD is worth his place just now but Andy is getting it so right generally just need to trust him.

Agree Donnelly still not at his best, it's been a bit frustrating that he hasn't been able to get a good run of games this season due to injuries.

Yesterday's game quite similar, in that he wasn't quite firing on all cylinders attack wise- but I thought his presence and work behind the strikers left a gap when he was subbed. Wasn't the only reason but Cove got a foothold in the game once they didn't have to worry about him.

15 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I'm not sure Bobby Wales will even be with Killie next season.

You could do worse than ask Killie for someone like Zander Craik but he's being watched by a host of scouts from down south also.

Yeah have seen rumours of him going down south to Leeds. HE has been excellent for us the season and a main reason of our position in the League and as you seen yesterday getting the two goals, with his second being the vital and the winner. Got to thank Brian Rice for his recruitment in the loan market with the names of Bobby Wales, Taylor Steven and as well Ally Roy but as well with Andy brining in Ethan Sutherland who has been great at times. Thought Ethans crossing deliveries yesterday were what we fully expect from him, thought going forward he was excellent again like Montrose the previous week. 

Edited by LoganAAFC

Daily Record reporting that Man City and Chelsea are looking at Ethan Sutherland. Probably goes under the radar a tad due to how good Steven and Wales have been but he's been excellent, particularly for someone so young. Very quick and fairly physical and Saturday was probably his best defensive performance so far, was going to say I could see him pushing for a start at St Mirren next season but might not actually be there!

Young guy is excellent. 

Special praise to young Coulston too he has been excellent for us over the last month. Terrific partnership on the left with Sutherland. I hope Coulston is one that's signed up for next season he is getting better and better.  

It all brings to mind what a great arrangement the loan system is to parent club ,Players , and loan recipients , Also it seems a great shop window for these up and coming players if these rumours are true , pretty sure they will be on long contracts and will generate a good transfer fee for them if it comes to that 

Alloa also proving to be a good place to send these talented youngsters and will hopefully get some good talent in next season where ever that is .

Wales Steven And sutherland will be missed greatly as i think we have been very fortunate to have these boys in all at once  all things considered , not all our past loans have been anywhere near as successfull . 

32 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

It all brings to mind what a great arrangement the loan system is to parent club ,Players , and loan recipients , Also it seems a great shop window for these up and coming players if these rumours are true , pretty sure they will be on long contracts and will generate a good transfer fee for them if it comes to that 

Alloa also proving to be a good place to send these talented youngsters and will hopefully get some good talent in next season where ever that is .

Wales Steven And sutherland will be missed greatly as i think we have been very fortunate to have these boys in all at once  all things considered , not all our past loans have been anywhere near as successfull . 

That's true, but generally we've done very well in the loan market for a while now. Several youngsters we have had on loan have gone on to bigger and better things; e.g. centre backs, Liam Lindsay, Scott McKenna, Jamie McCart and Robbie Deas.

It's a good look for the club too if we're helping develop their academy talents and potentially making them money if they sell them on. Makes it more likely we'll get highly rated teenagers like Wales from clubs.

Agree on Coulson, thought him and Cammy had a good partnership going and now he's gelling well with Sutherland too. I was sceptical about Sutherland's defending but yesterday was probably his best defensive display for us.

7 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

someone said that miko's goal was his first senior goal ever !  ?

Scored a challenge cup goal for Accies against Hearts B, suppose technically a senior goal but against a B team. 

Quite surprised when I dug into that but suppose not his game at all and his been a bit bitty few years. Thoroughly deserved after his turn of the year form. I was one that suggested a possible loan move would be best for all parties. Now, it’s hard to see a team without him. 

Slow to the party here but just realised you guys are now already able to advertise the play off games versus Hamilton given the league points and placings can't be caught. Interesting 4 fixtures you have coming up with Hamilton Falkirk Hamilton Hamilton!

Seen a lot of the wasps this year and really hope its either yourselves (or Montrose) that come up with us as opposed to Hamilton/Inverness/Q Park. you've been playing some good stuff with some decent players under Andy Graham.

Good luck for the rest of the season lads, with the exception of course to the cup winning/potential invincible game at TFS next week! Should be a cracker and great atmosphere.

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Slow to the party here but just realised you guys are now already able to advertise the play off games versus Hamilton given the league points and placings can't be caught. Interesting 4 fixtures you have coming up with Hamilton Falkirk Hamilton Hamilton!

Seen a lot of the wasps this year and really hope its either yourselves (or Montrose) that come up with us as opposed to Hamilton/Inverness/Q Park. you've been playing some good stuff with some decent players under Andy Graham.

Good luck for the rest of the season lads, with the exception of course to the cup winning/potential invincible game at TFS next week! Should be a cracker and great atmosphere.

Will be more enjoyable as it (bar your record at stake  ) is a dead rubber to us , no pressure on us too,  a lot of pressure on falkirk to keep it going means we will be most likely beaten but  looking forward to the game more as we are not expected to win anyway and not much at stake  , A bit miffed at having to play Hamilton 3 times though ,how do we approach the meaningless one game ? ,

Always said Falkirk had a championship team playing in L1 and it has shown big time , good luck with the new season ahead , 

Andy Graham has certainly galvanised the side and has them playing for the jersey,  motivation levels are sky high the only worry it seems for us is that the defence could be better .

as far as us getting there too you never know , As unambitious as it seems we as Alloa fans have had a successful season regardless ,reaching the playoffs and gubbing the beano's was always the target , anything else is a bonus , we would need a bit of a clearout if we were to reach the championship but looking forward to the spectacle  .

Andy Graham stated in his post match Cove interview he'll be making sure all of the squad gets game time to prep for the play-offs.

I dont necessarily think that will cause the last two performances to dip too much. One look at our bench on Saturday shows there is plenty strength in depth at the moment- so it will be likes of Kevin Cawley and Jon Robertson coming in.

I know momentum can be a key factor going into play-offs, but I honestly couldnt care all that much about the last 2 league games now that all the play-off questions have been effectively answered from our perspective.