The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Regardless. Would be a great achievement for yourselves to overperform again. If it comes to it we'll just knock you out again.

Dear oh dear, from being a "timorous wee beastie" on Falkirk threads, to being "macho man" on the Alloa thread. Settle doon, son. 

1 minute ago, The Laddie Gastineau said:

Dear oh dear, from being a "timorous wee beastie" on Falkirk threads, to being "macho man" on the Alloa thread. Settle doon, son. 

image.png.160c91dbbdf9d3171551ed9f37508752.png

Just watched the highlights, I’m surprised that Andy dropped Miko for Hetherington. Hetherington has been a great player for Alloa but I think Miko offers more to the team and we dropped out of the game on Tuesday when he went off. Also that is sheer stupidity from Neill, he’s let everyone down by being petulant. 

We seriously need to sort the centre back and left back position next season as well. We are conceding too many soft goals from set plays. Either move Taggs in to centre back or try and sign a better centre half as we won’t contend next season if we keep the current three on the books. 

I’d keep Ogayi as back up or contender for the number 1 jersey as there isn’t much between him and PJ. Cammy can go, he’s had enough chances and isn’t good enough. Robbo and Kev have been great servants to the club but I don’t see the point in keeping them just for the sake of keeping them. Goodwin was quite ruthless in his first summer window in moving on the likes of Marr, Holmes and Spence (the Spence move even had someone claiming not to renew a season book iirc 😂) and that ultimately paid off as we were promoted the following season. 

I’d keep Miko and Sammon as both offer a lot to the squad, LD can go as he’s too injury prone. 

It’ll be interesting to see if the board will back Andy or not, I think he’s done more than enough this season to deserve their trust. Here’s hoping the loan market will be as fruitful as it was this year as well.

55 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

Just watched the highlights, I’m surprised that Andy dropped Miko for Hetherington. Hetherington has been a great player for Alloa but I think Miko offers more to the team and we dropped out of the game on Tuesday when he went off. Also that is sheer stupidity from Neill, he’s let everyone down by being petulant. 

We seriously need to sort the centre back and left back position next season as well. We are conceding too many soft goals from set plays. Either move Taggs in to centre back or try and sign a better centre half as we won’t contend next season if we keep the current three on the books. 

I’d keep Ogayi as back up or contender for the number 1 jersey as there isn’t much between him and PJ. Cammy can go, he’s had enough chances and isn’t good enough. Robbo and Kev have been great servants to the club but I don’t see the point in keeping them just for the sake of keeping them. Goodwin was quite ruthless in his first summer window in moving on the likes of Marr, Holmes and Spence (the Spence move even had someone claiming not to renew a season book iirc 😂) and that ultimately paid off as we were promoted the following season. 

I’d keep Miko and Sammon as both offer a lot to the squad, LD can go as he’s too injury prone. 

It’ll be interesting to see if the board will back Andy or not, I think he’s done more than enough this season to deserve their trust. Here’s hoping the loan market will be as fruitful as it was this year as well.

Hetherington was our best player yesterday. He's still a top player. We missed Miko's defensive aerial ability at times though.

Agree re the defence, although a qualify defensive left back would help the whole defensive unit be better IMO.

Agree also re Cammy. I'd keep Kev and Robbo if they are happy to be squad players.

I'd keep Miko and Sammo too - and also be tempted to let LD go.

1 hour ago, BigMartyn86 said:

I’m surprised that Andy dropped Miko for Hetherington. Hetherington has been a great player for Alloa but I think Miko offers more to the team

I was all for Miko starting yesterday, but Stevie H was absolutely brilliant. 1 maybe 2 errant switches of play but other than that he was faultless. Covered every blade of turf on that pitch yesterday. For me it was up there with one of his best ever performances in an Alloa shirt tbh. 

On 10/05/2024 at 15:54, Rory said:

Not sure how accurate this list is but will be interesting to see these figures without Falkirk next season.

With our away supports taken off it would look roughly like this:

Hamilton 1,100

QotS 1,050

Stirling 900

Alloa 640

Montrose 580

Cove 530

Annan 525

Kelty 430

Edinburgh 310 

2 hours ago, BigMartyn86 said:

Think you got it spot on with your post . 

Stevie was class yesterday. I think some fans on here thought I was having a go at Miko when I called for Stevie and Kurtis in recent weeks but that wasn't the case, Miko has done really well for us. The fact is though that we do lack someone who can put their foot on the ball and slow it down with those two. From the start of the game yesterday Stevie was anchoring the midfield, protecting the defence, snapping into tackles and always available for a pass. Our whole team went up a level with his presence. Suspect Andy saved him on Tuesday so he could do that yesterday. With a good pre-season as he gets over the injury he will be a huge player for us next season and that partnership with Roberts has great potential. Stevie and Miko could be decent too if you got the three in front right. 

I'd keep Miko too and there's loads more to come from him. He can learn a fair bit from Stevie, in the same way that Stevie himself as developed so much from the player who first arrived at the Recs. 

The manager has a good core signed already. I'd try and keep Devine too who is still coming on. He did really well coming off the bench yesterday. There's a conversation to be had about Neil now. He needs to cut that from his game if he is going to continue with Alloa. I'd keep Sammo, showed again that he is a good option to have. I like Roy too but suspect given his limited game time then he probably won't be at the Recs. There are a few others who still have plenty to offer and their futures probably depend on terms and who else is available. 

Big Phil would be best moving somewhere (non league I'd say) and playing every week. Going by his style and a wee dip into his career history I'm not sure he's played much football at a level anywhere near this and it would probably do him a lot of good to just play. Never at any point a serious alternative to PJ. 

The biggest task will be replacing the flair, energy and goals of the loanees. I'm sure Andy has a plan. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

There's a conversation to be had about Neil now. 

Seems harsh to me, and yes I was pissed with him yesterday. He is a good footballer but hasn’t got the strongest of character, evidenced in a number of lower key moments throughout the season, maybe in part why he is playing part-time football with us. For me it’s a test for him to see this as a watershed moment and commit to himself and Andy to come back stronger and better next season.

With PJ, Taggs, McKay, Neill, Hethrington, Roberts and Scougall all signed up for next season, that's a good core to build a squad around.

Would also like it if we ditched Pendle as a kit supplier. 25+ seasons with them, let someone else have a go. Unless they bring out a 1999-2001 throwback kit!

3 hours ago, Fruitcake said:

Agree with this, he talks to the linesmen constantly and it's usually in an agressive tone.  Surprised he's not been booked before now (maybe lino's are thick-skinned and just take it).  Often wonder about his decision making too, just doesn't see a good pass to get things rolling and punts it upfield or even out the ground. Might see a promising youngster at the Recs next season playing alongside Neill and we'll see how things go.

St Johnstone's 2-1 defeat yesterday puts them in relegation trouble with 2 tough games to go.  Heard a whisper that if things go belly up there we may profit from it.

Really looking forward to next season as Andy will have his own squad, unlike the start of this one and Chipper playing musical chairs.

44 minutes ago, Willie Gut said:

St Johnstone's 2-1 defeat yesterday puts them in relegation trouble with 2 tough games to go.  Heard a whisper that if things go belly up there we may profit from it.

Are you suggesting that TS may end up here ? doubt that very much , It looks like he enjoyed being here immensely no doubt but he surely has ambition and will get offers , If you mean anything else ..apologies .

If anything our relegation would make us more appealing for Steven as he'd be one of about 4 players we'd have left.

5 hours ago, Fruitcake said:

Having spoken to him last night, he was gutted that in his words " he let everybody down " , he said he would do everything he can to win the fans over again & repay them next season, everybody makes mistakes it's how you learn from them & turn it around we win together & we also lose together, the waspies are gold 

33 minutes ago, waspie13 said:

Having spoken to him last night, he was gutted that in his words " he let everybody down " , he said he would do everything he can to win the fans over again & repay them next season, everybody makes mistakes it's how you learn from them & turn it around we win together & we also lose together, the waspies are gold 

Fair enough , we will all forgive him But ! ... it wasnt a mistake its a bad habit he needs to cut out RE the mouthing off at officials , you dont see the other players react as much as that , he isnt even the team captain !!

Posted (edited)

I for one wouldn't care if Morgan Neil moved on.

Part of a defence that conceded far too many goals last season and we need an upgrade for next year.

It wasn't just Saturday's pathetic tantrum but numerous errors through the season, one of which got PJ injured at Hamilton. 

Of our three central defenders Mackay has been the most consistent and has improved throughout the season. Devine has been okay but is far too injury prone. 

A good left back is key as none of the three options there worked this season.

Edited by Magic Hat