The Alloa Athletic Thread

4 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Andy graham in the crowd at the spartans  dumbarton game , i wonder if he has his eye on anyone ?

He's doing the expert pundit role for Alba.

5 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Andy graham in the crowd at the spartans  dumbarton game , i wonder if he has his eye on anyone ?

Although he was there as a a pundit with being a former Dumbarton player, for a manager point of view, it's a good way of watching the games to see who's coming up but any possible loans that could be brought in next season

On 14/05/2024 at 10:55, Kevchenko said:

Completely agree with that, would say St Johnstone is pretty much the ideal place for Taylor right now - relegation and he has the potential to stake a claim as a regular in the Championship with you, or stay up and potentially get a loan out to a championship team instead. 

Not au fait enough with the St J squad to predict if he could be a squad factor in the premiership or not, but would hate to see him have a season of sitting on the bench and getting odd minutes here and there - he absolutely thrived being an every week starter for us and hope he gets that next season as well. Doing that in the Championship would make a lot of sense next season. 

Guy is the real deal. He's well good enough for the SPL. I remember everyone questioning Lawrence Shankland when he was banging them in at Ayr.  Guy was always good enough.  We had Iain Flanagan a few years back and the guy was absolute class and could easily have played full time. 

Too many good players in the championship and lower levels are overlooked whilst the SPL with many cheap foreign imports and players from English youth academy's get parachuted in. Taylor is SPL class as was Bobby Wales. Sutherland needs another season with us or indeed a championship team on loan .

On 14/05/2024 at 12:58, BB_Bino said:

Must admit to be gutted that there hasn't been a derby for so long and now there'll not be one for another year at least. It's always the first thing that I looked for and when the roles were reversed, I actually wanted Alloa to come up to have them back. I'd be surprised if the majority of Alloa fans wanted us to go down, other than for the quick "hahahahahah, you're sh-e".

This, 100% this. If I had my way, Alloa & Stirling would always be in the same league, as I'm sure fans of other rivalries are the same. Life is dull enough, you need something to wet the appetite and continually getting 1 over your rivals always makes things that bit better. 

Totally agree. I am disappointed that Stirling have been relegated. A great derby fixture lost next season.  

On 14/05/2024 at 13:03, printer said:

Hopefully he can kick on even more next season. Has the potential to establish himself in the first team.

Coulston has been excellent for us. Another great young player. He would always start for me . He will only get better and better 

32 minutes ago, Oweny said:

I remember everyone questioning Lawrence Shankland when he was banging them in at Ayr.  Guy was always good enough.

Would argue there were questions about Shankland’s ability to do it higher up while he was at Ayr for pretty good reason - he had already had his opportunity at Aberdeen and clearly wasn’t ready for it back at that point. 

Coincidentally, when he did get his chance in the premiership back then, he would have been around Taylor’s age at the time and was coming off the back of a pretty successful loan in league 1.

Even after that season in the Premiership, and then subsequently a couple on loan in the Championship, it took being released and dropping back down to league 1 level to really catapult his career to where he is now. 

If St Johnstone were to drop down I don’t think that would necessarily be the worst thing for Taylor. Additionally, it might cause a change of regime there which I don’t think would do him any harm either tbh. 

1 hour ago, Oweny said:

Coulston has been excellent for us. Another great young player. He would always start for me . He will only get better and better 

This is the key thing, but we don't know if he will. For all his obvious qualities, currently he too often takes the wrong option or delays until the best option has gone. He needs to learn to play with his head up more - a difficult thing to do when you've grown up not doing it.

We'd all love to see him, like Buchanan, really go on to fulfil their potential. 

2 hours ago, Oweny said:

Guy is the real deal. He's well good enough for the SPL. I remember everyone questioning Lawrence Shankland when he was banging them in at Ayr.  Guy was always good enough.  We had Iain Flanagan a few years back and the guy was absolute class and could easily have played full time. 

Too many good players in the championship and lower levels are overlooked whilst the SPL with many cheap foreign imports and players from English youth academy's get parachuted in. Taylor is SPL class as was Bobby Wales. Sutherland needs another season with us or indeed a championship team on loan .

Flanagan played 2 seasons for Falkirk under PBS..he couldn't get a regular start & generally done nothing of note when coming on

It never fails to amaze how Falkirk can get mediocre performances from players who've done well at the same level elsewhere, yet still think it's the players' fault.

Posted (edited)

Flannigan completely changed his role after his injuries too. If memory serves, his Alloa career began, and no doubt his prior clubs, on the wing. Didn’t have pace. The back trouble, altering training and changing position was best thing that happened to him. 

Will have absolutely no Flanny slander on here! Favourite player watching Alloa in my time. Oozed class and many big moments. 

I’ve always looked at Scougall in a similar way and it’s easy too when you know they are good enough to be full-time but injuries halt them. Discussed it on the pod but wonder if a tweak in where Scougall’s best position is what will kick him on. Thought he looked bright in the play-offs in behind, always takes his first touch forward and constantly checking over his shoulder to drive. It’s just the lack of goals and it’s a key position to not have any. He’s got plenty bite and game knowledge, so maybe it’s deeper. Roberts, Miko, and Hetherington are mainstays there though. It’s hard. Just hope he can get 5-8 goals next season. Can’t have a 0 again!

Edited by KierenAAFC

Enjoyed the interview with Bobby, nice to hear things from his point of view.

Must be hard for them having to train with parent club and then come train with us twice a week.

Hopefully clubs will see how Wales, Steven and Sutherland flourished at Alloa will mean we'll keep getting top prospects on loan

3 hours ago, Oweny said:

It just shows you that everyone sees things differently. I think Coulson has been okay but is quite a frustrating player. If we had released him really wouldn't have been bothered.

Football, like life, isn't black and white. Iain Flannigan had the talent to play at a much higher level than Alloa. Less talented midfielders spent their whole careers in the top flight. For different reasons, injury mainly, but other things too I'm sure, it wasn't until later in his career that he was really able to get a run of games in a team and position that suited him. I remember when we were in the Championship and ICT were among the best sides in the league and John Robertson saying you have to get in Alloa's faces because if you let them play then Flannigan will control the game and pass you to death. Not the kind of thing a full-time boss normally says about a part-time team but Flannigan was class, a rolls royce of a player. In fairness the Falkirk fan on here might have missed that as I think they were 6th in the third tier at the time. But injury, form, confidence, belief, opportunity, right manager - all crucial. Shankland is a good example, it was never a given he'd end up where he has. Others like him haven't. Dykes too - I remember Andy Graham destroying him at the Recs! 

That nuance is also true of the loans. It's not as simple as saying someone is class and they will smash it back at their parent club, there are so many factors involved. Some fans will remember Robert Sloan coming on loan to an Alloa side struggling in the old First Division and emerging as a leader and almost keeping us up. I was sure he'd make it at Hearts. He was back at Alloa within a couple of years and while he had his moments he was never again the same player we'd seen in the loan. All three boys we just had showed their talent and hopefully they will be able to continue to develop and will get the opportunities required to kick on. 

On that topic, what a brilliant listen that was with Bobby Wales. Clearly has a good head on his shoulders to go with the considerable talent. That will stand him in good stead. Great work Kev and Kieren. 

And since I'm rambling, I think Scougall could learn from Flannigan. Flanny got over his injuries to become the creative heart of our team. Scougall for all his talent has never quite managed to bring it all together and consistently be that creative influence. He's capable of it and that should be his challenge for next season. 

3 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Football, like life, isn't black and white. Iain Flannigan had the talent to play at a much higher level than Alloa. Less talented midfielders spent their whole careers in the top flight. For different reasons, injury mainly, but other things too I'm sure, it wasn't until later in his career that he was really able to get a run of games in a team and position that suited him. I remember when we were in the Championship and ICT were among the best sides in the league and John Robertson saying you have to get in Alloa's faces because if you let them play then Flannigan will control the game and pass you to death. Not the kind of thing a full-time boss normally says about a part-time team but Flannigan was class, a rolls royce of a player. In fairness the Falkirk fan on here might have missed that as I think they were 6th in the third tier at the time. But injury, form, confidence, belief, opportunity, right manager - all crucial. Shankland is a good example, it was never a given he'd end up where he has. Others like him haven't. Dykes too - I remember Andy Graham destroying him at the Recs! 

That nuance is also true of the loans. It's not as simple as saying someone is class and they will smash it back at their parent club, there are so many factors involved. Some fans will remember Robert Sloan coming on loan to an Alloa side struggling in the old First Division and emerging as a leader and almost keeping us up. I was sure he'd make it at Hearts. He was back at Alloa within a couple of years and while he had his moments he was never again the same player we'd seen in the loan. All three boys we just had showed their talent and hopefully they will be able to continue to develop and will get the opportunities required to kick on. 

On that topic, what a brilliant listen that was with Bobby Wales. Clearly has a good head on his shoulders to go with the considerable talent. That will stand him in good stead. Great work Kev and Kieren. 

And since I'm rambling, I think Scougall could learn from Flannigan. Flanny got over his injuries to become the creative heart of our team. Scougall for all his talent has never quite managed to bring it all together and consistently be that creative influence. He's capable of it and that should be his challenge for next season. 

Nope Flannigan played in the championship with a full time team & was awful....hetherington played in league 1 with a full time team & was awful....ergo no pressure playing for little alloa in front of a few hundred every week makes you look like fantastic 

Fingers crossed everyone at Falkirk goes back to this attitude now they're back in the big time  :lol:

12 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Nope Flannigan played in the championship with a full time team & was awful....hetherington played in league 1 with a full time team & was awful....ergo no pressure playing for little alloa in front of a few hundred every week makes you look like fantastic 

Both strolled it for years in the Championship against full-time sides. But the nuances I was on about above are clearly well beyond you. 

5 hours ago, Oweny said:

I agree, a good young quality player. I’d be disappointed if he left us as I think he can get even better.