The Alloa Athletic Thread

5 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Was player of the year in his first season, solid defensively and a real threat at set pieces. This last season has been a real strange one. 

He missed a big chunk of the season due to work commitments and then struggled to get a run of games when he came back. When he did play I thought he looked decent enough, if not quite at the level he was the previous season.

Had a couple of stinkers where you could say he maybe didn’t look interested (could be understandable given his lack of games I guess) and think he was hooked at halftime on 1 or 2 occasions. Appears to have been a bit of an ignominious end to the season unfortunately so always looked like he would be leaving. 

Would I have kept him? On balance possibly yes, but I think that would be more because I think there will be quite a bit of turnover at the back for us next season more so than for what he brought this year. 

Was outstanding for us for 3 years up to 2015. Part of the all conquering Queens side who battered what is now League 1 in 2013 and went on to be one of the Championship's better centre halves for a couple of years before joining Dundee United under freedom of contract. He wasn't awful with United but never really kicked on and lost his place in their side latterly, leaving at the end of his 3 year contract. Since then it's been downhill with underwhelming spells at Dunfermline in the Championship and Falkirk in League 1 before going part time at Alloa where he did seem to have recovered some form on 21/22. Will defer to Alloa posters on his spell there. I think he only played one game against us and was subbed at half time in that. Really good guy though so hope he does well.

EDIT - one league game, he also came on at half time in the SPFL Trust Cup tie.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I sincerely hope whatever that was wont be an issue this season. I’d be disappointed if we replaced Gregor Buchanan with a guy who misses half the season due to work!

Joined fire service. Most of it was initial training stint I think so unlikely to repeat to the same extent but I'd guess there may be some issues.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Joined fire service. Most of it was initial training stint I think so unlikely to repeat to the same extent but I'd guess there may be some issues.

2 day shifts and 2 night shifts - 4 days off x 8 weeks 

Then 2 full weeks off - guessing you’d still miss a fair amount of games and training doing that 

27 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Was player of the year in his first season, solid defensively and a real threat at set pieces. This last season has been a real strange one. 

He missed a big chunk of the season due to work commitments and then struggled to get a run of games when he came back. When he did play I thought he looked decent enough, if not quite at the level he was the previous season.

Had a couple of stinkers where you could say he maybe didn’t look interested (could be understandable given his lack of games I guess) and think he was hooked at halftime on 1 or 2 occasions. Appears to have been a bit of an ignominious end to the season unfortunately so always looked like he would be leaving. 

Would I have kept him? On balance possibly yes, but I think that would be more because I think there will be quite a bit of turnover at the back for us next season more so than for what he brought this year. 

ETA - would be surprised if he’s not a stand out centre half in league 2 to be fair. 

Cheers! That sounds positive. He'll be the replacement for Gregor Buchanan, and sounds like he'll be a decent fit in that role.

I always liked him at QOS, but that was about a decade ago now. And he had a couple of horrible games against us for Dundee United and Falkirk.

39 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Mark Durnan, my friends, how did he do for you guys?

32 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

ETA - would be surprised if he’s not a stand out centre half in league 2 to be fair. 

If Dumbarton fans thought Gregor Buchanan was above decent then Durnan will have nothing to fear. 

Bit surprised he's dropped down to League 2. I thought we'd have resigned him for one more season given how good he was in his first year.

Assuming Stanger and Church will be swooped up too as well as Devine and Strachan going back to parent clubs, the defence could look very different next season. 

Just now, Rory said:

Bit surprised he's dropped down to League 2. I thought we'd have resigned him for one more season given how good he was in his first year.

Assuming Stanger and Church will be swooped up too as well as Devine and Strachan going back to parent clubs, the defence could look very different next season. 

Brian Rice must have known that we would need defenders in a good while ago so hopefully he has targets, So far only Andy and Taggs in defence .. not worried though ..yet .🙂

I thought Durnan was good in his first year despite the problems Alloa had and was pretty hopeful he would do well again this past season. Obviously didn't really work out in the end and no surprise he's moving on. 

If he can regain form then League 2 will be like a holiday for him, which should suit him down to the ground. 

23 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

Maybe Falkirk will do to Ross what they did to Stevie H and coach the football out of him 🤭

There wasn't any football in him to coach. He was basically shite. Some players do better at other clubs but Hetherington just was a non entity with us. Time will tell with MacIver but it's an underwhelming signing to say the least. 

13 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

There wasn't any football in him to coach. He was basically shite. Some players do better at other clubs but Hetherington just was a non entity with us. Time will tell with MacIver but it's an underwhelming signing to say the least. 

when i watched Hetherington play for you against us he was unrecognisable , looked liked someone else entirely , Can see where you are coming from 

I think some of the Falkirk Fans praised him in the cup game ,but thats about it , If we are signing him and can get him back to his old self he will be pretty usefull , 

2 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

when i watched Hetherington play for you against us he was unrecognisable , looked liked someone else entirely , Can see where you are coming from 

I think some of the Falkirk Fans praised him in the cup game ,but thats about it , If we are signing him and can get him back to his old self he will be pretty usefull , 

Hetherington was good for us and disappointed he’s away back to Alloa. 

32 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

He may have let his heart rule his head , Stevie was out injured for a long time and we (The Club ) stood by him 

he may also have been offered a decent enough wage  who knows !

100 percent will have a strong affection for Alloa and plenty of pals there and I do not grudge him one little bit it makes sense as to why he would want to go back but he was good for us in the Championship at both left back and centre midfield and most of our fans would’ve happily seen him stay. 

On 29/05/2023 at 10:58, adopted beath said:

Jon leaving is down to being released by the manager.He is pretty gutted due to absolutely loving his time at Alloa but that’s what happens in football.In fairness to Brian Rice I think the fact that Jon misses training sessions due to his shifts have played a part in his decision.Probably the same with Durnan.Jon trains religiously on his own so no fitness problems but missing shape and tactic sessions have probably caught up with him.It’s the managers head on the chopping block if it goes wrong and he has to make decisions where we deal in opinions.All the best to everyone at Alloa and to all the supporters who made Jon’s time there so special.

Always welcome back Jon . Terrific Alloa player. Best wishes and thanks 

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

For most in lower divisions, probably. Anyone signed after 1st January will be 9th June at earliest.

I did have the 10th in mind so I assume that's when the SFA will accept new registrations?